DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

It's been awhile since I saw it but The Krays smokes Legend. Legend still has a great performance by Hardy (there's a couple specific bits and a fight scene between the two brothers that is seamless) but it has its problems. The Krays, IIRC, was simply awesome. I'm gonna dig it up and watch it again tonight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Just a reminder that Hunt and Liddy were evil mother fuckers.

Right. Which is why it's funny watching them being portrayed as buffoons. Hunt is portrayed as a family man who's at least a complicated piece of shit. Thus far Liddy is a total maniac. 

FOX announced its Fall shows but not the actual lineup

Returning Fox series include dramas 9-1-1: Lone Star (Season Five), Accused (Season Two), Alert: Missing Persons Unit (Season Two) and The Cleaning Lady (Season Three); comedy Animal Control (Season Two); animated series Bob’s Burgers (Season 14), Family Guy (Season 22), The Great North (Season Four) and The Simpsons (Season 35); and unscripted series Farmer Wants a Wife (Season Two), Hell’s Kitchen (Season 22), I Can See Your Voice (Season Three), LEGO Masters (Season Four), The Masked Singer (Season 10), Name That Tune (Season Three), Next Level Chef (Season Three) and Special Forces: World’s Toughest Test (Season Two). (The only current Fox series whose fate has not been decided is comedy Welcome To Flatch.)

New series include medical drama Doc and action-drama Rescue: HI-Surf, from executive producer John Wells; two Bento Box animated comedies originally unveiled at last year’s upfront, Krapopolis, from Rick and Morty co-creator Dan Harmon, and Grimsburg, starring and executive-produced by Jon Hamm; as well as unscripted series Snake Oil, a game show hosted and produced by David Spade and executive-produced by Will Arnett, and music guessing game show We Are Family, hosted by Jamie Foxx and co-hosted by his daughter, Corinne Foxx. Fox also is resurrecting Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares and is ordering a second LEGO Masters multiple-night holiday event LEGO Masters: Celebrity Holiday Bricktacular.

The descriptions of the new shows (fuck the unscripted stuff)

Doc - Based on the globally acclaimed Italian series, Doc — Nelle tue mani. Doc is a new medical drama centered on the hard-charging, brilliant Dr. Amy Elias, Chief of Internal and Family Medicine at Westside Hospital in Minneapolis. After a brain injury erases the last eight years of her life, Amy must navigate an unfamiliar world where she has no recollection of patients she’s treated, colleagues she’s crossed, the soulmate she divorced, the man she now loves and the tragedy that caused her to push everyone away. She can rely only on her estranged 17-year-old daughter, whom she remembers as a 9-year-old, and a handful of devoted friends, as she struggles to continue practicing medicine, despite having lost nearly a decade of knowledge and experience.

Rescue: Hi-Surf - pulse-pounding Hawaii lifeguard drama Rescue: HI-Surf follows the personal and professional lives of the heavy-water lifeguards who patrol and protect the North Shore of O’ahu—the most famous and dangerous stretch of coastline in the world. Each episode will feature these dedicated, heroic, and adrenaline-seeking first-responders saving lives in the difficult and often life-threatening conditions of Hawaii’s Seven Mile Miracle.

Krapopolis - Set in mythical Ancient Greece, the series centers on a flawed family of humans, gods and monsters that tries to run one of the world’s first cities without killing each other. 

Grimsburg - In Grimsburg, Marvin Flute (Jon Hamm) is a brilliant detective with opinions as eccentric as his taste, who can’t help but prioritize his own personal problems — whether it be his family or petty differences among his co-workers — over the crimes he’s tasked with solving. Now that he’s back in Grimsburg, a town where everyone has a secret or three, Flute will follow every lead he’s got to redeem himself with the ex-wife he never stopped loving, even if it means hanging out with the son he never bothered to get to know.

Love the runners of this show bringing out some unheralded R.E.M. songs for the show ("Oh My Heart" last season and "Strange Currencies" on this trailer).

I'm so excited for this.

• Like 2

Man, if that episode of Succession didn't fill you with anxiety or dread or give you some very bad memories, then I don't know what to tell you. Ultra intense episode. One of the best ever. But also one of the most dreadful.

• Like 2

This week on Beavis and Butthead:

Spoiler

"After they see the attention an angsty emo kid gets from the ladies, Beavis and Butt-Head pretend to be sad and end up in a psychiatric hospital"

"Beavis notices his body is starting to go through changes after he is bitten by a rabid cat skunk"

Sure as shit sounds like SAG-AFTRA is about to call a strike of their own.   And the Director's Guild is right behind them too.  

The sound you just heard was CBS scrambling to put Rick & Morty and 200 non-English anime series into their weekday lineup between Survivor re-runs. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sure as shit sounds like SAG-AFTRA is about to call a strike of their own.   And the Director's Guild is right behind them too.  

The sound you just heard was CBS scrambling to put Rick & Morty and 200 non-English anime series into their weekday lineup between Survivor re-runs. 

This was what my friend was telling me a month or so ago. I'll have to ask him about the timeline tonight, but he said it was a foregone conclusion that they'd be striking too. He's fortunate enough that he's secured money wise because he still has a restaurant job.

My other friend out in LA that's a writer was telling us he may have to come and move back home here for a little bit or maybe even change careers. Our other friend who did the acting and writing thing for awhile moved back here and is now finishing his teaching degree so that may be what the other friend contemplating moving back here decides to do. 

So I'm down to two friends out there who will still be making a go at acting careers and one of them lives out of converted box truck so things aren't going particularly well for him.

Disney Plus are going to start taking shows off the On-Demand as a cost saving measure. Even Willow, which was only released less than a year ago, is now going to become lost media.

Which is exactly what they would do with their DVD (and VHS, back in the day) sales. Release things, make a big deal of the fact that they're getting deleted and won't be available after a certain date, and then re-release in a special edition format a couple of years later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Disney Plus are going to start taking shows off the On-Demand as a cost saving measure. Even Willow, which was only released less than a year ago, is now going to become lost media.

Which is exactly what they would do with their DVD (and VHS, back in the day) sales. Release things, make a big deal of the fact that they're getting deleted and won't be available after a certain date, and then re-release in a special edition format a couple of years later.

Disney Plus basically making one of the points that WGA and SAG are striking/going to strike over

• Like 1

This series needed more of Roman getting punched and then acting like a little whiny bitch after getting punched.

I think I'm firmly in the camp of wanting all of the kids except Connor to get fucked. Every time I see Shiv, pregnant, drinking, and especially in that scene with Tom with Tom looking at her while she's drinking, I just think she is a terrible, awful person. Either get an abortion or don't and take care of yourself and your baby. Kendall has quickly transformed into the wildest amalgamation of Logan Roy and Elizabeth Holmes. And Roman will learn nothing from stuffing his feelings down for so long and then getting a love tap from a protester. 

It would be beyond hilarious for Mencken to fuck over Roman and Kendall and then Mattson to fuck over Shiv and then all three kids just stand there at the end of the episode and are like, "so...back to doing the One Hundred?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LL Cool J is not ready to give up that NCIS life yet

With NCIS: Los Angeles having ended this past weekend - LL will now appear on season 3 of NCIS Hawaii as a recurring guest star

James Cromwell was on the recent Succession podcast talking about episode 9 and he's basically just playing himself on the show. 

I also feel like James Cromwell is one of the rare people, like Alan Alda, who I would listen to every word they spoke.

• Like 5

New White House Plumbers is crazy good, primarily because Lena Headey grabs the ball and runs with it

Spoiler

headlong into a fucking plane crash. I was stunned. 

She says everything these idiots needed to hear, and more. Woody yet still continues to be the stolid patriot and pretend family man with that rubber face and jutting chin of his. We also get completely out-of-nowhere cameos from Corbin Bernsen and F. Murray Abraham which cracked me up. 

Last episode might be a bit too serious. It's gonna be a hard balancing act to pull off. 

Also, I keep looking at Hunt's kid (named St. James which is completely ridiculous) and thinking it's the kid who played Frisbee in Spun but he's clearly younger than Patrick Fugit (who is gonna be in the new Showtime series Love & Death). 

For as bleak as Succession is, I got to catch up on the last three episodes of Barry last night and that's gotten pitch black. 

Spoiler

Showing his son Youtube videos of baseball injuries to intentionally traumatize him and exercise control by destroying any desire he has to form connections outside the home is simultaneously a pretty good gag and one of the grimmest things I can remember seeing on television is a looooong time. 

Bill Hader should probably make a horror movie? 

• Like 1