DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Am I seriously the only person who has watched The Rehearsal? It is the most captivating show I have ever maybe watched. It’s certainly not for everyone but if it is for you then it is (Nathan) FOR YOU.

The premise: If you face a challenging situation in life, what if you could rehearse every imaginable variable to prepare for the situation?

Spoiler

EX: Host Nathan Fielder struggles with making first impressions. When he meets the bar trivia afficianado-in-peril, he reveals that he hired a pretend group of gas utility workers to force the man out of his apartment, where they then captured every last detail of his facility. He then built the man’s apartment on a soundstage. And he hired an actor to break down what the bar trivia fan would be like after carefully studying his video explaining why he wanted to be on an unknown television show.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Am I seriously the only person who has watched The Rehearsal? It is the most captivating show I have ever maybe watched. It’s certainly not for everyone but if it is for you then it is (Nathan) FOR YOU.

The premise: If you face a challenging situation in life, what if you could rehearse every imaginable variable to prepare for the situation?

Reveal hidden contents

EX: Host Nathan Fielder struggles with making first impressions. When he meets the bar trivia afficianado-in-peril, he reveals that he hired a pretend group of gas utility workers to force the man out of his apartment, where they then captured every last detail of his facility. He then built the man’s apartment on a soundstage. And he hired an actor to break down what the bar trivia fan would be like after carefully studying his video explaining why he wanted to be on an unknown television show.

No, I fucking loved it. I'm a fan of Nathan For You and How To with John Wilson, so I love this sort of thing.

There were like three or four times in this first episode where my wife and I were both like, "WHAT THE HELL!?!?!"

I can't wrap my head around how Fielder gets a network to fund his ideas (this show does not seem like it'd be cheap), but I am so glad that he does.

• Like 1

Word on the twitter streets is that Desus & Mero have had a falling out and will be ending the show and (mostly already inactive) podcast.

Can we airdrop Jimmy Carter in to mediate this please?

• Sad 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Word on the twitter streets is that Desus & Mero have had a falling out and will be ending the show and (mostly already inactive) podcast.

Can we airdrop Jimmy Carter in to mediate this please?

I hate everything right now.

That sucks.  They need to just go into a small room, beat the shit out of each other, and squash this beef.  I will miss their insightful commentary and magical chemistry.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:04 AM, Casey said:

Probably a hot take given the current reception to the show, but I actually liked the Netflix version of Resident Evil.

@BrianS81177 posted about it in the Horror thread but he appears to agree with your opinion

Is anyone watching Black Summer on Netflix?  Because we're flying through it 2, 3 episodes a night.  It's like Walking Dead, but if Walking Dead was good and more relentless  This show fucking MOVES, man.  There was one misstep in season 1 where an episode really felt like it needed some setup and explanation before happening, but it's been all good since.  Just watch the 5th episode of season 2, which was amazing.

Edited by Technico Support

I am not sure if anyone watches it but Freema Agyeman has announced that she will not return for New Amsterdam's fifth and final season

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure if anyone watches it but Freema Agyeman has announced that she will not return for New Amsterdam's fifth and final season

Wife and I do.  Wife is thrilled.  We never felt Ryan Eggold and Freema Agyeman had much chemistry and never quite bought their characters getting together, yet they were pushed hard as the show’s super-couple.

On 7/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, Raziel said:

This weeks Orville,

Peter Macron better get a fucking emmy nom.

It blows my mind the dude that made Family Guy also makes The Orville.

The writing for this week's episode felt off to me in way it hadn't the rest of the season. Still Macon was awesome in his scenes.

Edited by Eivion

4 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I would put a spoiler tag on what happened in the second episode of The Rehearsal but I really have no idea what I just watched in the best way imaginable.

It was weird that this one appears to be broken into two 20-minute episodes when the first episode was 40+ minutes. 

Just crazy, brilliant stuff, though. 

• Like 1

Slow Horses on Apple Plus is fantastic. Gary Oldman is characteristically brilliant. But the whole cast is great. It’s an awesome spy thriller that takes oddball curveballs that had me cracking up. Great show.

• Like 1

In a not good sign for the show - the Quantum Leap reboot is already getting a new showrunner with only three episodes done

Per Entertainment Weekly

Quantum Leap is changing course.

NBC's reboot of the popular '90s sci-fi drama is switching showrunners only three episodes into its first season. Blindspot creator Martin Gero, who's been an executive producer on the series since it began development, is taking over as showrunner, replacing Steven Lilien and Bryan Wynbrandt, who will remain on board as EPs. Dean Georgaris (Bluff City Law) is also joining the series as an executive producer.

According to Deadline, which first reported the shakeup, NBC was "not entirely happy with the series pilot," which will still air, but not as the first episode. Reportedly, episode 3 may now kick things off.

Representatives for NBC did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment on the behind-the-scenes changes.

On 7/19/2022 at 2:33 PM, J.T. said:

That sucks.  They need to just go into a small room, beat the shit out of each other, and squash this beef.  I will miss their insightful commentary and magical chemistry.

Worked well for Rocky and Apollo, although those circumstances were a bit different. They were not squashing anything, but getting it out of their systems, nonetheless.

...Shit, now this got me wondering how a match between Apollo and Clubber Lang would have turned out at that point? They clearly had beef to squash.

Edited by Shartnado
Got me wondering...