DVDVR Message Board

2022 TV Discussion Thread

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

There's no damsels in distress. There's no white knights in shiny armor showing up to save the day.

This is one of my favorite aspects. Nearly every woman on the show is tough in her own way and fights. And it's generally fairly realistic or least sort of plausible. And they get punched and take damage when fighting guys. Heck, my favorite fight in any show or movie ever is Nola vs Burton as they fight in, on, and around a car. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 10:39 AM, Zimbra said:

No idea about this project, but I like Luis Guzman as comics-accurate Gomez.

WEDNESDAY

Starring Jenny Ortega, Gwendoline Christie, Isaac Ordonez, Luis Guzman, and Catherine Zeta-Jones

Debuts "4th Quarter 2022" on Netflix

--

This looks.... decent??

• Like 1

Not putting this in the Stranger Things thread so I can avoid spoilers, but rewatching season 3 makes me think the Duffers believe we're all idiots. Billy makes plans with Mrs. Wheeler at 8 PM at the end of JUNE and when he's driving to the hotel, it's pitch fucking dark! Jesus fucking Christ that is a massive gaffe. Literally one of the defining features of summer!

Roku's US adaptation of Great British Baking Show (called obviously Great American Baking Show) will have Ellie Kemper and Zach Cherry as cohosts. The show will have Prue Leith and Paul Hollywood as the judges so there is that.

It will be only 6 episodes and is currently in production in the UK (which really tickles me)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I thought PBS already had that spin-off. 

They were just airing the UK version (and only the first 5 seasons at that)

EDIT - unless you are thinking of that Great American Recipe show which seems like it is a knockoff of the Bake-off concept

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Roku's US adaptation of Great British Baking Show (called obviously Great American Baking Show) will have Ellie Kemper and Zach Cherry as cohosts. The show will have Prue Leith and Paul Hollywood as the judges so there is that.

It will be only 6 episodes and is currently in production in the UK (which really tickles me)

So, are they just doing the Great British Baking Show with American contestants?

I just hope they don't try to bake (see what I did there?) too much drama in. One of the most appealing things (IMO) about the Baking Show is how the competitors are so supportive of each other. It's such a sweet show. Don't fuck that up, America!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

They were just airing the UK version (and only the first 5 seasons at that)

EDIT - unless you are thinking of that Great American Recipe show which seems like it is a knockoff of the Bake-off concept

There is (or was) a Great American Baking Show that was on ABC for a few seasons in the late teens.  They may have just been the holiday specials, but they were aired on ABC and are on Hulu.

I *think* there was some controversy where one of the judges had to leave in disgrace mid-season, so they scrapped the entire thing. 

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There is (or was) a Great American Baking Show that was on ABC for a few seasons in the late teens.  They may have just been the holiday specials, but they were aired on ABC and are on Hulu.

I *think* there was some controversy where one of the judges had to leave in disgrace mid-season, so they scrapped the entire thing. 

Yeah, it was an actual show, which I only remember because Ayesha Curry was host for a year and I remember them pimping it on NBA games.  One of the judges turned out to be a sex pest.

CBS also a did a one season run prior to that with Jeff Foxworthy as host.

Avalon - the David E Kelley/Michael Connelly show set for ABC - will star Neve Campbell

Campbell will remain on her other current Connelly show - The Lincoln Lawyer

This is one of those Nexus spans where we have a GOT prequel, a LOTR prequel, She-Hulk, Andor, and Sandman basically all dropping in the same three week period in a way that would have blown my twenty year old mind. And I'm probably missing something else too.

Black Bird was pretty good, but it’s almost entirely a carry job by Taron Egerton and Paul Walter Hauser. PWH in particular gives one of the best performances I can recall in anything in a long time. Watching him become one of the great living character actors the last few years has been really cool. It’s what watching John Cazale come out of nowhere fully formed and crush it throughout the 70s must have been like.

Ray Liotta is also excellent, although his scenes are tough to watch at times.

Otherwise it’s pretty well-worn true crime potboiler territory. I like Greg Kinnear, but all of his scenes as the lead murder investigator are sleepy and feel like a Hallmark Mysteries take on True Detective.

Pretty much the only thing that pops are the one on one scenes with the leads, but boy do they pop. 

• Like 1

Continuing to post here for now until I watch S4, but MAN S3 of Stranger Things is decidedly Not Good.  I think the only show I've soured on faster is Rick & Morty. 

Basically every major plot point for the entire season that isn't directly Mind Flayer business relies upon "the villains are incredibly stupid" or "the audience is incredibly stupid", and no one does *anything* that makes real sense in the moment.  Hopper & Joyce being worried about their kids until it's convenient to get everyone back in the same place? Nope.  Hopper unloading his clip into a guy with body armor from point-blank range instead of maybe trying to hit one round in the damn head so he's actually dead?  Nah, gotta save that guy for the big set of parallel fights at the end.  Hopper getting teleported while everyone else who comes into contact with the device gets Rorschach'd?  Nah, he's "on the good side of the field" or something (which I'm sure is how they'll explain it once I get there), so he's totally fine.  How the Soviets were even getting their supplies into the fucking country?  Completely irrelevant!  Trained soldiers not executing the kids almost immediately?  Can't have them doing things that would, I don't know, protect their actual reason for being there.  Jesus.  The only thing that ends up 'working' in any meaningful way is Billy's redemption arc, but that's basically it.

The first season is very good and the second is far better, but wow did this fall off a fucking cliff and expect nostalgia to catch every problem with it.  Maybe it will get back to the simple idea of "What if we did a D&D campaign but in the real world?" but my hopes are not high.

Edited by Contentious C

Add me to the Banshee fan club. That show kicks ass.

Also, the new Beavis & Buttheads are very funny, but I thought the last run of new ones were a little better. Still worth a watch, as Mike Judge still has some zip on his fastball...

• Like 2