DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They taped a Joe Gacy vs Josh Briggs match for this week's 205 Live. Those two hosses sure don't scream cruiserweight to me lol.

Rebrand it to 265 Live.  

Or 6’5” Live.  

Problem solved! Feel free to PayPal me, Vince!

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They taped a Joe Gacy vs Josh Briggs match for this week's 205 Live. Those two hosses sure don't scream cruiserweight to me lol.

I think it's pretty obvious they will transition 205 Live into just another enhancement show like Main Event. There's really no benefit to keeping it cruiserweight branded. The Cruiserweight Classic was awesome. But with anything that gets over, it got tinkered with until it was watered down and not the original idea anymore. WWE is best at being WWE. Not much else survives there. Alternative brands (ECW, WWECW, NXT, 205 Live) that don't fit Vince's vision are destined to fizzle out.

Just cancel 205 Live.

• Like 1

Meltzer is assuming Ric Flair shows up in AEW shortly.  Interesting.  I've been guessing Ric would show up everywhere but AEW since I figured Vince wouldn't release Ric from his contract if he thought Ric was headed for AEW.  Then again, Vince supposedly respects Ric a lot.  And Triple H is close with Ric,   And Vince might have felt some pressure to make Ric happy in order to keep Charlotte satisfied.  

• Haha 1

WON tidbits regarding the releases:

• The internal belief is that HHH is being blamed on NXT's lack of success by the usual suspects in WWE who fear for their jobs if HHH were to ever take over (ie Bruce, Dunn, etc.).
  • NXT callups have been beaten or squashed to further some kind of dumb self-fulfilling prophecy to show, "SEE! They're not ready! They're not over!" and it's like, well of course they not over when you beat them right out of the gate.
  • HHH and HBK weren't aware of the cuts in advance and learned about them after the cuts happened.

I'm guessing this information was probably either leaked from HHH himself or Heyman (since he's the usual dude that leaks stuff to Dave and others). 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

• The internal belief is that HHH is being blamed on NXT's lack of success by the usual suspects in WWE who fear for their jobs if HHH were to ever take over (ie Bruce, Dunn, etc.).
  • NXT callups have been beaten or squashed to further some kind of dumb self-fulfilling prophecy to show, "SEE! They're not ready! They're not over!" and it's like, well of course they not over when you beat them right out of the gate.
  • HHH and HBK weren't aware of the cuts in advance and learned about them after the cuts happened.

I'm guessing this information was probably either leaked from HHH himself or Heyman (since he's the usual dude that leaks stuff to Dave and others). 

Let me reiterate: WWE sounds like the worst fucking place to work.  Just a real shithole.  Still, I should put on some popcorn as I watch these goobers try to pull off the dangerous game of trying to politically outmaneuver a member of the McMahon family.

Apparently, the view of NXT most recently (before the bloodletting) was that they're all pretty much indy guys who aren't going to draw on the main roster.  Shit, imagine being a guy who wasn't cut, like Strong, O'Reilly, Ciampa, Gargano, etc.  Did Adam Cole re-sign?  Because he's fucked if he did/does.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Of course HHH should be blamed if he's running the thing. Who else should be blamed? You shouldn't blame the talent since they didn't hire themselves, even if you as a promoter don't think they can produce for you. If he wasn't being blamed, I would claim nepotism and I think most people would as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think Shawn and whoever else deserve some blame as well for the way they lay out matches.  I know a lot of people were turned off by the Cole/O'Reilly matches but there was quite a lot that was affected as well.  Which yes I understand it's still under HHH's silo but point stands.

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Of course HHH should be blamed if he's running the thing. Who else should be blamed? You shouldn't blame the talent since they didn't hire themselves, even if you as a promoter don't think they can produce for you. If he wasn't being blamed, I would claim nepotism and I think most people would as well.

This is arguable. Is he being blamed for NXT failing to be a strong third brand or as a developmental? For the former he should hold some responsibility. For the latter that is more on WWE's main roster booking failing to utilize the talents well. Realistically most of the NXT roster has done decently or better in becoming tv ready. If they are failing to succeed on the main roster it doesn't really feel like its from a lack of preparation from the PC and NXT.

Has NXT really been a failure though? Sure the past year or two has been nowhere near as good as it was from '14-'18 or so, though I'd argue the past several months have been a considerable improvement.  There are a number of factors there - inconsistent booking, too much focus on the Forced Epic main event style matches, losing a lot of their key players and not building up as many newcomers, covid, etc. Of course it didn't beat AEW in the ratings department, but AEW was a fresh, new promotion with a ton of hype, production value, and star power. It was going to come out on top regardless and the NXT ratings were far from abysmal. As far as NXT guys flopping on the main roster, I'd say it's more on whomever is booking Raw/SD for not being able to come up with compelling programs for these guys more than anything.

• Like 1

What is HHH being blamed for exactly? Producing the only watchable shows under the WWE umbrella in the last 6 years? They act like they've gotten nothing of value out of the PC or NXT branded shows instead of several main eventers (Roman, Rollins, Ambrose, Bray, KO), plenty of reliable midcarders (Sami, Big E, Neville, Roode, Corbin, Gable, Murphy, etc), oh and you know, the entire women's division that has multiple legit main eventers which would've been unthinkable even 8 years ago.

As far as drawing on its own goes, it always had a low ceiling unless they were willing to commit to a bigger budget with traveling shows and running bigger arenas. Whenever they did run a big arena, it sold out, so they did well with what they had.

Saying top NXT guys flopped on the main roster isn't even worth commenting on because despite the examples above, it's the ultimate "guy putting the stick in his own bike wheel" meme anyway.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

What is HHH being blamed for exactly? Producing the only watchable shows under the WWE umbrella in the last 6 years? They act like they've gotten nothing of value out of the PC or NXT branded shows instead of several main eventers (Roman, Rollins, Ambrose, Bray, KO), plenty of reliable midcarders (Sami, Big E, Neville, Roode, Corbin, Gable, Murphy, etc), oh and you know, the entire women's division that has multiple legit main eventers which would've been unthinkable even 8 years ago.

As far as drawing on its own goes, it always had a low ceiling unless they were willing to commit to a bigger budget with traveling shows and running bigger arenas. Whenever they did run a big arena, it sold out, so they did well with what they had.

Saying top NXT guys flopped on the main roster isn't even worth commenting on because despite the examples above, it's the ultimate "guy putting the stick in his own bike wheel" meme anyway.

What about the women? Bianca Belair, Becky Lynch, Sasha Banks, Bayley, Charlotte Flair. They all went through NXT.

Keep in mind Triple H hasn't been demoted, just some jobs/roles he had are done and given to John Laurinaitis. Triple H's title was elevated to Executive Vice President, Global Talent Strategy & Development in 2020. He still is the Executive producer for NXT and is still on the board. 

Ace is in charge of talent relations and hiring and firing people. Nick Khan and Vince make suggestions but Ace probably knows who to let go anyway..

The blame on NXT is that the small guys just didn't draw demos wise. So you will see the new vision of looks, size, youth mix with what's left of the vision of NXT. Also some exceptions to the rules will apply for looks, size, youth of course but in very little cases.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 2:05 PM, D.Z said:

Keep in mind Triple H hasn't been demoted, just some jobs/roles he had are done and given to John Laurinaitis. Triple H's title was elevated to Executive Vice President, Global Talent Strategy & Development in 2020. He still is the Executive producer for NXT and is still on the board. 

Ace is in charge of talent relations and hiring and firing people. Nick Khan and Vince make suggestions but Ace probably knows who to let go anyway..

The blame on NXT is that the small guys just didn't draw demos wise. So you will see the new vision of looks, size, youth mix with what's left of the vision of NXT. Also some exceptions to the rules will apply for looks, size, youth of course but in very little cases.

The size shit is so antiquated at this point. And it's been antiquated since the 1990s. And then when they do happen to stumble onto some big dudes who are talented, work hard and get over, they ruin them. "Cesaro didn't go for the brass ring!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The bit on the last Sammy vlog where QT was "auditioning" guys for The Factory (but actually just parodying WWE's alleged new hiring policy) was really funny. Probably the best QT bit yet.

• Like 2

Lol, just listened to an old WO segment and it cracks me up how literal-minded Dave can be.

Dave is talking about the new "requirement' for NXT - younger, bigger, taller - and has just said something about Vince wanting to sign wrestlers who are over 6'.  6'2" or taller.

Alvarez asks Dave if there will be any exceptions.

Dave: Well, the women won't have to be over 6'2" or weight more than 230.......

Awkward pause.  Bryan is speechless.

I mean, I'm almost certain Alvarez - and everyone listening on the internet - realized that 6'2", 230 lbs. wasn't going to be the minimum requirement for the women unless the plan is to sign one woman every decade years or so.  Have they ever had a woman that tall AND heavy?  Gonzalez is probably the largest woman they've signed in a while and she's billed at 6', 175.  

I'm fairly confident no one except Dave thought Bryan was asking about the women when he asked the question.  

Even after all these years, it's really impressive how lifelike Dave is.  Whoever built him should be very satisfied.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sashas, Beckys and Charlottes. So, more women who are currently active on the indies, more women who are trying to make it in acting having wrestled briefly years earlier, and more late 20s daughters of legends?