DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Of course, that also means those same guys are generally a lot more ready and well-rounded to be pro wrestlers unless they just outright suck and aren't called up because of some stupid petty WWE style bullshit or name a reason of the month.

• Like 1

A few things about those leaks don't really smell right. I mean they just got Karrion Kross and look how they booked him on the main roster.

Also, why was Curtis Axel, the freaking B-Team Curtis Axel the name that gets thrown out? 

Lastly, look at Mason Ryan. WWE just as quickly discards the people who fit this supposed mold.

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Lastly, look at Mason Ryan. WWE just as quickly discards the people who fit this supposed mold.

By the time they let him go, they were moving away from the “Batista” template, and moving to the “dark wet haired athletic guys”(Bo, Rollins, Krueger, Roman) template. 

that’s one thing I remember from the FCW/Early NXT. They end up liking a certain type that they want all the young wrestlers to follow. Like everybody looking like Randy Orton at one point. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

A few things about those leaks don't really smell right. I mean they just got Karrion Kross and look how they booked him on the main roster.

Also, why was Curtis Axel, the freaking B-Team Curtis Axel the name that gets thrown out? 

Apparently, as someone already said somewhere, Dave confused Curtis Axel with Bo Dallas.

At this point, I have a feeling they really have no clue what they actually want out of their wrestlers. Maybe the Kross thing is just waiting for Scarlet to come around and make Kross great again? But who the hell knows?

Yeah, Mason Ryan and a whole host of other super jacked guys over the years! Remember Umaga's manager, Alejandro...? He could obviously talk, and once he eventually took his jacket off, he was jacked af. Then, very shortly afterwards, he was released. No idea what went down there?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Shartnado said:

Apparently, as someone already said somewhere, Dave confused Curtis Axel with Bo Dallas.

At this point, I have a feeling they really have no clue what they actually want out of their wrestlers. Maybe the Kross thing is just waiting for Scarlet to come around and make Kross great again? But who the hell knows?

Yeah, Mason Ryan and a whole host of other super jacked guys over the years! Remember Umaga's manager, Alejandro...? He could obviously talk, and once he eventually took his jacket off, he was jacked af. Then, very shortly afterwards, he was released. No idea what went down there?

So Vince and WWE brass like Bo Dallas and preferred the Bo Dallas era of NXT?

15 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Got himself too over and that was around the start of the phase where they felt managers should be able to wrestle too. I already discussed this in the main discussion thread, but yeah, it never occurred to them that managers/valets/seconds probably should stay in that position as opposed to taking bumps. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What happened was Alvarez said (in regards to using indie/smaller guys) something like "Just 5 years ago they had Sami vs KO in the main event so are we going back to the shitty FCW days?"

And Meltzer responded with "No - the Curtis Axel (which again I think he meant Bo Dallas) and Tyson Kidd days"

Now that blends a whole lotta eras together (since Tyson Kidd was in the Main Event of the first 2 Takeovers and Sami was all over that card too).

I kinda hinted out this before but personally I much preferred that early NXT TV days (Hero vs Regal, Cesaro vs everyone, Big E, etc...) than what it currently is but to me that change didn't necessitate changing the wrestlers but instead getting away from the Triple H/Shawn Michaels ACTING~! wrestling. And those two are still in charge

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Got himself too over and that was around the start of the phase where they felt managers should be able to wrestle too. I already discussed this in the main discussion thread, but yeah, it never occurred to them that managers/valets/seconds probably should stay in that position as opposed to taking bumps. 

Wasn't he able to wrestle at least at some basic level, since by the time he got released he was actually wrestling some matches (or at least a match)? So he could have taken bumps and maybe even become a wrestler himself, or indeed a manger who can also wrestle? Felt very weird and sudden at the time. Was wondering if there was a bigger reason for his dismissal, but I guess it's the same as ever!

24 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Probably not that either, I mean if they did, I guess they wouldn't have released him whenever it was that they did. Unless, they want a bunch of YOUNG Bo Dallases (Dallai?), which I find kinda hard to Bo-lieve.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Wasn't he able to wrestle at least at some basic level, since by the time he got released he was actually wrestling some matches (or at least a match)? So he could have taken bumps and maybe even become a wrestler himself, or indeed a manger who can also wrestle? Felt very weird and sudden at the time. Was wondering if there was a bigger reason for his dismissal, but I guess it's the same as ever!

IIRC he was fine, but he couldn't wrestle up to their (lofty and unrealistic) standards. 

I just remember he was friggin' money in OVW, got brought up, got over instantly, they detached him from Umaga, and he was gone not too long after that.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You’d think Vince would want that.

Maybe Vince is just being an old pain in the ass.

Well this goes back to what Metlzer mention in regards to a lot of competing viewpoints of what WWE wrestling should be at the moment and it all depends on who has Vince's ear at any given moment.

Based on the directive Dave says is happening - Pritchard and Johnny Ace are the ones in the driver's seat at the moment

Re: Estrada

The way Colt Cabana tells it, Estrada was taken off TV for awhile and basically just sat home and worked out and got super jacked. Colt allegedly told him something like, “Whoa, if you let the office see you with your shirt off, they’re gonna put you in the ring.” I think he meant it as a cautionary tale, but Estrada may have taken it the other way.

Well…

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, EVA said:

The way Colt Cabana tells it, Estrada was taken off TV for awhile and basically just sat home and worked out and got super jacked. Colt allegedly told him something like, “Whoa, if you let the office see you with your shirt off, they’re gonna put you in the ring.”

Well…

Callis basically told Robert Maillet (aka Kurrgan) not to let Vince see him dancing at the corporate Christmas party or w/e. The next thing you know he's out there dancing in a tie dye shirt with ICP on TV.

People need to heed these warnings.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well this goes back to what Metlzer mention in regards to a lot of competing viewpoints of what WWE wrestling should be at the moment and it all depends on who has Vince's ear at any given moment.

Based on the directive Dave says is happening - Pritchard and Johnny Ace are the ones in the driver's seat at the moment

All this sounds like booking committee era WCW in 89-91. Just a complete mess except the roster wasn't super bloated (even accounting for the Ranger Ross and PN Neweses of the world).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

All this sounds like booking committee era WCW in 89-91. Just a complete mess except the roster wasn't super bloated (even accounting for the Ranger Ross and PN Neweses of the world).

Wow, you actually aren’t wrong. Just judging by things I’ve read, they’ve kinda gone through a bit of a metamorphosis the last five years.

20 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

According to Wikipedia he is. His ring name is "Hachiman" which I'm pretty sure has never been said on tv.

Wade Barrett uses the name on TV but every time I heard it, I thought to myself, "nah that can't be it"

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Probably not that either, I mean if they did, I guess they wouldn't have released him whenever it was that they did. Unless, they want a bunch of YOUNG Bo Dallases (Dallai?), which I find kinda hard to Bo-lieve.

The idea of Vince - or anyone - sitting around saying "We need to start signing more guys like Bo Dallas" is really funny to me.  You can argue that Bo was the prototypical NXT not-quite-a-success story.  His career was basically getting a character and catchphrase over in NXT, failing to get basically same character and catchphrase over on the main roster, and then doing not much of anything except a brief stint in an comedy underdog tag team.

And then he got to pick up paychecks for another year and a half without being used - probably to keep his brother happy.  Lol, never min.  Maybe Bo is the new American success story.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Maybe Vince is just being an old pain in the ass.

This seems likely.  Vince seems to recognize something needs done, but doesn't seem to know what and his yes men seem to have picked now to have opinions of their own. 

I think NXT needs to change, but I don't remember the late FCW/early NXT period being all that beneficial to the company.  Guess we'll see how this goes and what changes are actually implemented.

I’m super curious how a 00’s bland as toast version of the WWE  headed by Head of Talent Relations, Johnny Ace does against an actual competitor.

Or when the other shoe drops…

”Hello, this is Vincent Kennedy McMahon… Yes I know this is the RELM Podcast Network. I need to speak to your boss quick. I got an offer he can’t refuse, and no I’m not swerving him… Bro…”

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Haha 1

Of course it's the type of talent they sign, it's NEVER the fucking bookers or writers... But hey, if they wanna run a rehash of the Eric Escobar/Bam Neely era up against AEW? Have at it, fellas. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Of course it's the type of talent they sign, it's NEVER the fucking bookers or writers... But hey, if they wanna run a rehash of the Eric Escobar/Bam Neely era up against AEW? Have at it, fellas. 

Bam Neely Hall of Fame induction when?

”YOU DESERVE IT! BAM BAM… BAM BAM BAM…”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thing is, if they turn into this hard and become big budget Kaiju Big Battel (little real wrestling, wrestlers interchangeable under the character, brand over everything), they won't be competing with AEW, because they'll be something completely different. WWE's transition to IP farm might finally, completely get Vince out of the rasslin' business. Just what he's always wanted!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a shame because IMO 2014-2016 NXT was the first (and last) time since 2001 WWF that the company was week-to-week compelling, but since they can't out-super-indy AEW, the move back to something like 2012-2014 FCW/NXT makes perfect sense. 

They won't get stars out of that formula either because Vince McMahon can't make a star in 2021, but the idea itself to back off of NXT as a third major brand makes sense. 

But I will say in defense of 2014-2016 NXT, that show was huge for the development of their current-day women's division. It had exactly the right mix of established indy stars and not-so-established stars learning to work WWE-style. Tyler Breeze was an example of the latter, and he definitely became someone valuable to a roster (IMO) in real time during his NXT run. Bayley, Sasha, and Charlotte are probably the best examples of low-profile or no-profile workers who clearly got way better in real time. 

Did a guy like Omos go through NXT at all, or did he just show up on the main roster one day?

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, EVA said:

The way Colt Cabana tells it, Estrada was taken off TV for awhile and basically just sat home and worked out and got super jacked. Colt allegedly told him something like, “Whoa, if you let the office see you with your shirt off, they’re gonna put you in the ring.” I think he meant it as a cautionary tale, but Estrada may have taken it the other way.

Well…

*knock knock*

That's all I remember from his run as wrestler in WWECW. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6

31 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Did a guy like Omos go through NXT at all, or did he just show up on the main roster one day?

He was in NXT, just not on television. He's kinda like Braun Strowman. He was in developmental for a lil bit...but because of his size he got green lit right up to the roster.

I find this whole notion that the WWE (Vince and whoever) want box office attractions to be hilarious. Anytime anyone shows any kind of inclination of getting over they cut them off at the knees.  Vince will probably change his mind soon enough and won't care again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

From my understanding, Omos is a case kind like Strowman where, yes, he was training at the PC this whole time (Braun was even one of the Rosebuds) and may have even wrestled some dark matches (?) but was purposefully kept off NXT TV because they wanted to shock the audience with the debut of a big, huge dude that "nobody had ever seen before." 

• Thanks 1