Jump to content

June 2021 Wrestling Imagery


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

 

I remember noticing it probably weeks before he turned and joined the Nation. Not sure if he had it the whole run though. I've been seeing  alot of clips of Ahmed on my Instagram explorer and I wish he did get a run with the title. Vince was really high on him and I was a huge fan of him too.  He had bad luck too. Especially  when Faarooq debut and injured him on top of the fact that most of the Nation members bury him in interviews now. He also says that people at the top were telling Vince that the people weren't ready for a Black World champion. That obviously wasn't true especially because he was very over but guys were obviously threatened by him that they had to use that talking point in 96-97 to get a head of him politically. He could've been what Vince wanted out if Lex Luger years earlier 

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I remember noticing it probably weeks before he turned and joined the Nation. Not sure if he had it the whole run though. I've been seeing  alot of clips of Ahmed on my Instagram explorer and I wish he did get a run with the title. Vince was really high on him and I was a huge fan of him too.  He had bad luck too. Especially  when Faarooq debut and injured him on top of the fact that most of the Nation members bury him in interviews now. He also says that people at the top were telling Vince that the people weren't ready for a Black World champion. That obviously wasn't true especially because he was very over but guys were obviously threatened by him that they had to use that talking point in 96-97 to get a head of him politically. He could've been what Vince wanted out if Lex Luger years earlier 

I thought Ahmed was awesome. I started reading the internet about a year after he had debuted in the WWF and until then I figured he was about as good as it gets. The first big injury derailed him bad. Then he seemed to be injuring himself whenever he got some steam back. Before that, he was injuring others. Without people obviously playing against him and that first big injury, his WWF career could have looked way different. If you think the fans at the time wouldn't have bought him as the champ, I've got news for ya! He was really over and getting more so, before he had to give up the IC title due to injury. After that, it was never the same for him again. First black WWF champion would have been him, under just slightly different circumstances.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

That shirt is tremendous.  I’m assuming it’s a knock-off and not a licensed item, but I’m guessing.  Anyone know anything about it?

It's specifically a Villano III t-shirt. He was specifically called Pantera Rosa and used the Pink Panther theme when wearing this gear: 

VillanoRing.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

How did Beefcake end up Hogan's (in Bret Hart's words) manservant? Did they just get together and Terry was like "we got the same last name, duuude! You carry my bags, you got a job for life!"

Lol, I hate to be a cynic, but I feel like Bruti was probably willing to carry something for Hogan.  Just.... not his bag, necessarily.  

That said, dismissing Beefcake as Hogan's manservant is probably accurate but also unfair.  Brutus the Barber is one of my favorite characters from that era and was ridiculously over, judging by the crowd pops.  

Lol, I just remembered the time I was watching a Brutus the Barber match a few years ago, and my wife (who doesn't watch wrestling) asked me who he was.  I told her, and her response was "If he's a barber, why is he carrying hedge clippers?"

There was a long, awkward pause after that.  I didn't have a good answer for that one and was mostly embarrassed that had never occurred to me.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

How did Beefcake end up Hogan's (in Bret Hart's words) manservant? Did they just get together and Terry was like "we got the same last name, duuude! You carry my bags, you got a job for life!"

Came up during the A&E Treasure Hunter show actually. Paraphrasing here obviously lol... but they were high school best friends. Hogan was all about getting into the wrestling business and Beefcake basically tagged along because he didn't have any real hopes or dreams of his own and just wanted to party on the beach. Kinda just rode another dude's ambition for a few decades. Super weird to me, but it ended up working out really well for him. Solid heel tag team run, one of WWE's top babyfaces of the expansion years, main evented a Starrcade, had a job anytime Hogan had a job. Lucked into a hell of a career.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised he didn't cut a promo outside to them. 

Incidentally, one time my friend JR Preston cut a promo to the local news about a guy who was breaking into cars 😄 I wish I could find the video. He stared right at the camera and said "you can't run, you can't hide, we will find you" etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Eoae said:

Lol, I hate to be a cynic, but I feel like Bruti was probably willing to carry something for Hogan.  Just.... not his bag, necessarily.  

That said, dismissing Beefcake as Hogan's manservant is probably accurate but also unfair.  Brutus the Barber is one of my favorite characters from that era and was ridiculously over, judging by the crowd pops.  

Lol, I just remembered the time I was watching a Brutus the Barber match a few years ago, and my wife (who doesn't watch wrestling) asked me who he was.  I told her, and her response was "If he's a barber, why is he carrying hedge clippers?"

There was a long, awkward pause after that.  I didn't have a good answer for that one and was mostly embarrassed that had never occurred to me.

I honestly think that Beefcake somehow became underrated despite the fact that he's never been that good. He was totally an effective babyface working Honkytonk and Mr. Perfect before his face got destroyed. While he was never even a good worker, that certainly didn't stop a lot of people in the era from getting over.

The hedge clippers were because you could see them from a distance and are effectively giant scissors. It's a more effective visual than coming out with shears. Also he could chase people around with them. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I honestly think that Beefcake somehow became underrated despite the fact that he's never been that good. He was totally an effective babyface working Honkytonk and Mr. Perfect before his face got destroyed. While he was never even a good worker, that certainly didn't stop a lot of people in the era from getting over.

The hedge clippers were because you could see them from a distance and are effectively giant scissors. It's a more effective visual than coming out with shears. Also he could chase people around with them. 

Early WWF heel Beefcake wasn't horrible, if he was in the ring with a decent babyface all the basic stuff he did equaled a passable match. Beefcake now being considered a George Gulas type is way off, the Beefer was on par with most juiced up guys of his era.

Yeah the hedge clippers like Duggan's 2x4 was something that needed to be seen by kids sitting in the cheap seats, that way the kids could then beg their parents to buy them the foam version of the clippers or 2x4.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Early WWF heel Beefcake wasn't horrible, if he was in the ring with a decent babyface all the basic stuff he did equaled a passable match. Beefcake now being considered a George Gulas type is way off, the Beefer was on par with most juiced up guys of his era.

Yeah the hedge clippers like Duggan's 2x4 was something that needed to be seen by kids sitting in the cheap seats, that way the kids could then beg their parents to buy them the foam version of the clippers or 2x4.

I feel that similar to Hogan's in ring 30-40 years of "that guy sucks" has made Brother Bruti kinda under rated where if you go back and watch his 80's stuff WWF certainly put worse on TV

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...