DVDVR Message Board

June 2021 Wrestling Imagery

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

OIP.VD13qc6LeqJTileN1cY-pQHaED?pid=ImgDe

OIP.76wZkKRqpV4fkXG4QAa5awHaE8?pid=ImgDe

Happy Pride Month.

On the Finn Balor WM entrance, I listen to the Wrestle Me podcast (it's very good by the way, 2 British DJs working their way through every wrestle mania) and when they came to that they raised the point that Finn is by all accounts a straight guy (certainly seems to be an ally, but doesn't seem to identify as LGBT) and whether it was appropriate that he be the first to really make that kind of statement on the Grandest Stage of Them All. I know they raised Darren Young and how underutilised he was at this time. Be interested to know what the take on it from the LGBT community was at the time, and how its viewed now. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

On the Finn Balor WM entrance, I listen to the Wrestle Me podcast (it's very good by the way, 2 British DJs working their way through every wrestle mania) and when they came to that they raised the point that Finn is by all accounts a straight guy (certainly seems to be an ally, but doesn't seem to identify as LGBT) and whether it was appropriate that he be the first to really make that kind of statement on the Grandest Stage of Them All. I know they raised Darren Young and how underutilised he was at this time. Be interested to know what the take on it from the LGBT community was at the time, and how its viewed now. 

Thanks for sharing. My gay cousin is engaged to her girlfriend and I have friends from the LGBTQ community. Chuffed to. I think the gesture of inclusion would be appreciated though that's coming from someone straight. Those who'll know more than me, said LGBTQ community. I really hope this reads right. I hesitated posting.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I immediately sent a picture of this to a friend of mine who is gay.  He appreciated the gesture and did mention various sites that approved of it as well.  So I was under the impression then that it was fine since Finn is an ally.  I would hope that it's still fine now.

As far as whether or not it's appropriate I think I would be best off deferring to somebody like @Dolfan in NYC or others on here.  I know that it was Finn who approached Stephanie with the idea for the shirt and entrance and he's tweeted about Pride month the past couple years.  So whether it was appropriate or not for him to be the one I get the impression that he was genuine in wanting to do this.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
10 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I am but one LGBTQ person, but...

I thought it was a nice gesture and appreciated.

I also think if a LGBTQ person had done it, you would have gotten people complaining that their sexuality/gender was now part of their gimmick (either a well-meaning complaint, as in "they're more than just being LGBTQ", or a thick-headed complaint about it being "shoved down their throat".

That said... LGBTQ folks do little things that y'all straight/cis folks don't pick up on all the time. And we giggle about it in our meetings when we plan our next agendas. Oh yes we do.

... I've said too much.