DVDVR Message Board

2021 Wrestling RIP Thread

RIPPA

11 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Related, my pal DSH Esq. sent me a big package of WONs (as is his wont) and while reading the Feb. 1 2021 issue, Mr. M starts off the obit of El Hijo de Anibal with the factoid that 139 pro wrestlers from Mexico had died in the previous nine months (though not all due to COVID). Is the death- and/or infection-rate so much greater there than in the USA? What percentage of the total population of luchadores is that, and how does that (infection and death) compare to workers in the US? I am blown away by that number...

Mexico had one of the highest excess mortality numbers worldwide over the last 18 months. One source I found puts the number between March 2020 and May 2021 at 620.000 people (official COVID-19 death toll for that time frame is about 220.000) or about 4.9 in 1000 people. For the US, that same source lists an excess mortality of about 912.000 people or about 2.8 in 1000 people. Other more heavy effected countries fall in the same ballpark as the US (2.9/1000 for Brazil, 2.6/1000 for Spain and 3.0/1000  for Italy).

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, Technico Support said:

For example, it lists  Flair, Haku, Barbarian, and Hennig as being Heenan Family members in 1991 but I doubt all were there at the same time, though that would have been a badass stable.

They weren't, Heenan retired as a manager shortly after WM7, "Coach" took over as the manager of Mr Perfect and Haku and Barbarian were managerless. There wasn't really a "Heenan Family" after that, Bobby was the "Financial Adviser" to Ric Flair but Mr Perfect was his de-facto manager aka "Executive Consultant). I'm almost certain Heenan never came to the ring with Flair even in the brief period after Flair debuted but before Hennig returned.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

They weren't, Heenan retired as a manager shortly after WM7, "Coach" took over as the manager of Mr Perfect and Haku and Barbarian were managerless. There wasn't really a "Heenan Family" after that, Bobby was the "Financial Adviser" to Ric Flair but Mr Perfect was his de-facto manager aka "Executive Consultant). I'm almost certain Heenan never came to the ring with Flair even in the brief period after Flair debuted but before Hennig returned.

Heenan was at ringside for the first few Flair-Hogan matches, he tapped out once he realized being on the road with Flair would kill him. They had Jimmy Hart sub for a “sick” Heenan until Perfect showed up, I was at the Pittsburgh show right after Heenan bailed, they announced at the beginning of the show he wasn’t going to be there.

Watching Porky do what he did with all that weight and then seeing him on the '80s Lucha set moving JUST AS WELL minus some speed was wild. Guy was an icon, who had such knowledge of his character and his skill that he was one of the most remarkable performers of all time. 

RIP

On 7/27/2021 at 12:27 PM, Rev Ray said:

Actually, @Pete who was he training with in that video, I want to say it was one of the other Brazos, was it a young psycho clown?

As Brazo de Plata Jr, yeah. 99% sure it was him.

On his FB, Prentice mentioned earlier in the week that his sister would be running his wrestling promotion while he underwent cancer treatments.  

I remember his shows running on America One and other low power TV stations in the late 90s. In a market filled with extreme attitude and can you top this gimmicks, the Prentice shows felt like they came from a time machine set to 1982, and it was a nice counterpoint to what you got from WWF, etc.

Last I recall seeing him, he worked backstage for TNA during its Nashville Asylum days. One review, either from 1Wrestling or PW Insider, mentioned that one show was so bad, the lone positive was "Bert Prentice lost a lot of weight." (He popped up on screen to break up a brawl).

• Like 1