DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

All-Star Weekend was going well for a while..  The Rising Stars Game had a crazy duel between Waiters and Hardaway Jr. that is worth tracking down. The other competitions, 3-point contest, etc..  were solid.

The Dunk Contest, however, was fucking awful. This new format sucks a field of dicks.

I'll say this for the new format: "Here are two guys dunking, pick which one you like better" makes a lot more sense to me than "Give each dunk a score out of 10".

But yeah, it felt like it barely got started and then it was over.

I'll say this for the new format: "Here are two guys dunking, pick which one you like better" makes a lot more sense to me than "Give each dunk a score out of 10".

But yeah, it felt like it barely got started and then it was over.

The final three should of had a two dunk a piece dunk off, and I think we'd all be a lot happier than we are now.  Are we sure the Wall dunk was the best dunk, or just the last one that was fresh on our minds?  I thought it was a great dunk, but the degree of difficulty wasn't as high as George's or Ross'.

Most of the changes they made were actually fun. Shortening the shooting stars challenge didn't work for me since it just made it all about the half court shot, that said Miami needs to start drawing up half court shot plays for Bosh. The money ball rack made the three point shooting competition a little too gimmicky and really it was the one competition that didn't need to be tweaked. The relay addition to the skills challenge was fun even if Reggie never got his alley-oops.

The dunk contest was pretty much just a hot mess. The dunk line had no rhythm to it and the "battle round" was just anti-climatic. Just go back to the old format WITH the 3 tries limit.

I recorded the stupid thing because I was out of town for a while (it was my birthday) and got home about half way through the night. Zipped past most of the crap(the shooting stars, the music, anyhting by NIck " I will never go away" Cannon). Like the point guards thing, and the three point competition. Half watched the slam dunk first round, said "fuck this" and then deleted the rest. . . 

I get why they were pushing the East Vs. West thing, but all they had to do was have the final three individual "battle winners"(or whatever it was called) have some sort of dunk off to get ONE winner.  Whatever conference that one winner was from would get the points for their conference.  Easy.  You can add in the 3 attempts only rule too. 

I like that the NBA is open to changes on All-Star weekend(remember The Horse competition?) so I don't want to complain just for the sake of complaining, but sometimes they over think it.

Kendrick Lamar is probably the most on target musical performance guest any sport has had in years.

I've never mentioned it on this board before, but Skylar Diggins is the Boo, so it was great seeing her on my TV screen all weekend.  Literally everything was better than the Dunk Contest.  From the Best Celebrity Game Ive ever seen on through Marco getting hot in Overtime in the three point contest.

• Like 1