DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

An excellent anecdote from the STARSHIP TROOPERS trivia:

In a 2016 interview, Casper Van Dien revealed in an interview about a funny incident when he was picking up his two daughters from school, "I went by the line at school to pick up my kids. You know, you drive up to the school and when I get there and there are these six 10 and 8 year old boys hanging out with my daughters. I pull up in the line and the boys go 'Johnny Rico! Why didn't you tell us your dad was Johnny Rico?' And I said 'What are you boys doing watching STARSHIP TROOPERS?' And they said, 'Our dads made us watch it with them!' Then my daughters get in the car and my 10 year old says 'Dad, were you really naked in STARSHIP TROOPERS?' And I said 'Yeah,' and she said 'How could you do that to me?!' Then my 8 year old says 'Wait, like naked naked?' And I said "Yup," and she said 'Oh my God, my life is ruined!' That was the longest three minute ride home I have had in my life."

• Haha 6

Godzilla was great if you can turn your brain off for 2 1/2 hours. The fights were real real fun (I didn't have a problem with all the rain and smoke). You will have to see ten thousand emotional facial closeups of the cast though, and of course they ignore the deaths and what should be deaths of thousands of people. But you knew that going in.

EDIT: Going back and reading everyone else's reactions again. Watanabe was indeed the only one I really cared about too, the "radiation being dangerous only when it's not" comment from Tabe is right on the fucking nose, and me and my friends took a selfie with the poster outside. I wish there would have been somebody dressed up at our screening!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Control said:

An excellent anecdote from the STARSHIP TROOPERS trivia:

In a 2016 interview, Casper Van Dien revealed in an interview about a funny incident when he was picking up his two daughters from school, "I went by the line at school to pick up my kids. You know, you drive up to the school and when I get there and there are these six 10 and 8 year old boys hanging out with my daughters. I pull up in the line and the boys go 'Johnny Rico! Why didn't you tell us your dad was Johnny Rico?' And I said 'What are you boys doing watching STARSHIP TROOPERS?' And they said, 'Our dads made us watch it with them!' Then my daughters get in the car and my 10 year old says 'Dad, were you really naked in STARSHIP TROOPERS?' And I said 'Yeah,' and she said 'How could you do that to me?!' Then my 8 year old says 'Wait, like naked naked?' And I said "Yup," and she said 'Oh my God, my life is ruined!' That was the longest three minute ride home I have had in my life."

My respect for Casper Van Diem has grown a thousand fold.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jaedmc said:

JOHN WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

They start throwing him throw glass and I was like "This is like Shane vs. Kurt Angle from King of the Ring."

Then he finishes that fight with a BELLY TO BELLY SUPLEX AND AN ANGLE SLAM FROM ONE FLOOR TO ANOTHER, and I'm like "IT IS SHANE VS. ANGLE FROM KING OF THE RING."

Spoilers. They do what I just wrote in the fucking movie and it's great.

I saw it last Friday. That might have been my favorite moment in all of the ridiculously awesome fights.

19 hours ago, jaedmc said:

JOHN WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

They start throwing him throw glass and I was like "This is like Shane vs. Kurt Angle from King of the Ring."

Then he finishes that fight with a BELLY TO BELLY SUPLEX AND AN ANGLE SLAM FROM ONE FLOOR TO ANOTHER, and I'm like "IT IS SHANE VS. ANGLE FROM KING OF THE RING."

Spoilers. They do what I just wrote in the fucking movie and it's great.

The fight between Wick and Zero's two best guys was number one and the best.  I completely lost my shit at the sight of the dream evil henchman tag-team of Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman.

'HOLY FUCK~!  JOHN WICK IS FUCKING RUMBLING WITH MAD DOG FROM RAID ONE AND THE ASSASSIN FROM RAID TWO~!   MY HEART~!  WHERE ARE MY FUCKING PILLS~???"

You know, I love John Wick and Bill and Ted and at least some of The Matrix, but is it still kosher to state that Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor? I enjoy his work but he’s bad and I think we all know it.

It's like booking wrestlers with opponents, partners, and angles that highlight their attributes and hide their weaknesses. People with less than stellar acting chops can still be serviceable if they're given the proper material. 

/Bram Stoker's Dracula would be incredible if not for his awful acting

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

It's like booking wrestlers with opponents, partners, and angles that highlight their attributes and hide their weaknesses. People with less than stellar acting chops can still be serviceable if they're given the proper material. 

/Bram Stoker's Dracula would be incredible if not for his awful acting

Look no further for Keanu being out of his depth than Much Ado About Nothing.  The rest of that cast can't carry his ass.

That said, I enjoy move of his movies.

1 hour ago, Control said:

You know, I love John Wick and Bill and Ted and at least some of The Matrix, but is it still kosher to state that Keanu Reeves is a terrible actor? I enjoy his work but he’s bad and I think we all know it.

He's good at action, bad at acting. But considering the whole point of the John Wick character is that he's shut down with grief, the fact that Keanu under-emotes everything, fits perfectly. If John Wick was played by, say, Christian Bale instead, the performance would be better, but the movie might not be.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

Keanu Reeves kills many, many people. He kills some people with books, some with knives, some with swords. He kills most of them with guns, and a couple while almost seated on a horse. He killed one who was reloading his gun underwater, which was pretty cool. There's a SWAT team all body-armoured up that he seems to need to kill at least three times per person. 

Asia Kate Dillon pretends someone else's dumb play is a stroke of genius, which is something they do a lot on Billions. 

Lance Reddick finally gets to shoot a bunch of people. 

Can they get Carrie-Anne Moss for the sequel? Am I asking for too much?

Keanu may be a bad actor. Possibly. But he's in cool stuff and he does it right. 

Oh, and there are dogs wearing body armour. 

⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2 out of five.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Control said:

I was just saying elsewhere the other day he's the most objectively terrible actor I subjectively love.

------

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was a terrible movie with a fucking amazing monster fight main event. Like, I was actively hating it for 1:45 or whatever, but then... Holy fuck.

-------

Rocketman is fantastic, and let's you know upfront that silly things like facts, chronology, and objective truth aren't going to matter. It's fucking great. 

13 hours ago, Control said:

Yeah, during the quiet bits in between gunfights, they kept Keanu's dialogue to the bare minimum.

That's how you get people to overlook him being very wooden.  You don't let him carry drama for very long.

• Like 2

Mark Calaway was considered wooden.

Put him in the right role and he's a star. 

Keanu is Hollywoods Undertaker.  

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1

Channel surfing and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves has started which led me to the following:

I miss Alan Rickman. I was a fan of his thanks to Die Hard, the aforementioned Robin Hood and Galaxy Quest. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Channel surfing and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves has started which led me to the following:

I miss Alan Rickman. I was a fan of his thanks to Die Hard, the aforementioned Robin Hood and Galaxy Quest. 

Don't forget about him in Dogma.

• Like 5

Finally got in the mood to pop the Criterion Channel trial.  Going to watch Chimes at Midnight first.  Probably Kwaidan tomorrow.  I wanna watch things I'd never blind buy like all those Jim Jarmusch movies.

My daughter and I went to see Godzilla and thought it was fucking awesome.  I have no idea what movie the negative critics were watching, but it sure as shit wasn't this one.

There is not enough love for the reimaged cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla by Serj Tankian and mother fucking DETHKLOK~! during the end credits.  Fucking EPIC~!

People in the front row of my theater were singing along for fuck's sake.  

As for Kong vs. Godzilla (2020),

Spoiler

Given the post-credit scene where Alan Jonah's crew locates one of Ghidorah's severed heads, I'm guessing that Kong and Godzilla will spend Act I beating the shit out of each other and will then have to team up to destroy the reconstituted Monster Zero.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Hide contents

Given the post-credit scene where Alan Jonah's crew locates one of Ghidorah's severed heads, I'm guessing that Kong and Godzilla will spend Act I beating the shit out of each other and will then have to team up to destroy the reconstituted Monster Zero.

I'm hoping for Desghidorah/Death Gidorah

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm hoping for Desghidorah/Death Gidorah

Spoiler

Eh, I was thinking that the severed head was a dead giveaway that Jonah would somehow use the head to construct Mecha Ghidorah although he wouldn't be used as a force of good if Jonah constructs it.

Now that we have the space monsters as a thing in the film mythology, they need to fucking bring in Gigan.  Ice Cube Jr. hurt my heart when he said in a interview that he thought that Gigan was dumb when he watched Zilla movies as a kid.

Also, since we were dumb and used the Oxygen Destroyer, the seeds are planted for Destroyah's creation.

Edited by J.T.