DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

David Roback, producer and multi-instrumentalist, and the person in Mazzy Star who wasn't Hope Sandoval,  just passed at the age of 61. If you only know them for Fade Into You, check out the rest of the album So Tonight That I Might See for some incredible playing. (Or Ride It On from She Hangs Brightly). So glad I managed to see them live when I had the chance a few years ago. RIP

Edited by Meltzing Pot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuck.

Veteran Afro-jazz star Manu Dibango died on Tuesday after contracting the new coronavirus, his representatives have confirmed.

A message on his official Facebook page confirmed that his death had come after he contracted COVID-19.

RIP to a legend.

Now you know where Michael Jackson got Ma Ma Say, Ma Ma Sa, Ma Makossa from

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

Based on the heavy lifting it had to do, That Thing You Do is a strong contender for best original song in a movie ever. It had to sound authentic to the period, be a legitimate ear worm, and be so good it didn’t overstay its welcome despite being played in at least half the scenes in the film. RIP

• Like 4

Ellis Marsalis Jr., a pianist and educator who became the guiding force behind a late-20th-century resurgence in jazz and who helped to shape the musical careers of four sons, died on Wednesday at a hospital in New Orleans. He was 85.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, (BP) said:

Based on the heavy lifting it had to do, That Thing You Do is a strong contender for best original song in a movie ever. It had to sound authentic to the period, be a legitimate ear worm, and be so good it didn’t overstay its welcome despite being played in at least half the scenes in the film. RIP

God, if that song hadn't been legitimately good, the whole movie would've sucked. Like, been hard to even sit through.

I literally just watched it again Sunday.

• Like 1

The amazing thing about Bill Withers is he only did music for about a decade. Wrote some of the greatest songs of all-time and then just said "I'm good" and gave it up. 

• Like 2

My first intro to Bill was (ugh) a Hootie & the Blowfish cover of "Use Me".  But, between my irrational appreciation for Notting Hill and my ex-girlfriend's tendency to sing his songs while we walked around in Baltimore, he's tied to shitloads of things I miss.  And now he gets to be on the list, too.  Fuck 2020.