DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

3 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Is steroid use a widespread thing among wrestlers in Japan and Mexico? Do the larger companies there have any sort of wellness policy equivalents?

Steroid use in Mexico? You don't say!

• Haha 4

It’s more complicated than this, but generally speaking Japan is about as laissez faire regarding steroids as it is strict regarding pot. I don’t know that any company has an explicit policy/testing against their use, though occasionally their are concerned whispers. (There was speculation about Kobashi’s cancer, for instance.) Some argue there’s no need to regulate, since Japanese wrestling tends to be less of an “upper body business”, historically—so almost no one uses anyway. I find this argument really unconvincing for several reasons (eye have eyes), but this post has too much digressive speculation already. (Without getting into the ethics of drug regulation/personal use, whether it’s possible to use responsibly if supervised in a legal-adjacent environment, etc.)  

• Like 1

I did not know that it was the occupying Americans that made marijuana illegal in Japan (they didn't want US soldiers smoking Japanese hemp). I was also unaware that the nation's strict attitude towards recreational drugs in general comes from the post-war methamphetamine issue the country endured thanks to the stockpile the US military built up during the war eventually made its way onto the streets.

America, fuck yeah!

f9e.gif

Addendum: Gronda and Zeus are 100% all natty.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I did not know that it was the occupying Americans that made marijuana illegal in Japan (they didn't want US soldiers smoking Japanese hemp). I was also unaware that the nation's strict attitude towards recreational drugs in general comes from the post-war methamphetamine issue the country endured thanks to the stockpile the US military built up during the war eventually made its way onto the streets.

America, fuck yeah!

f9e.gif

Addendum: Gronda and Zeus are 100% all natty.

True story - a HUGE side affect of America doing that was the rise of prevalence in the use of heroin, a drug that would not have otherwise been introduced into the country, starting in the 50's.

Thanks America.

Backing up to Muta, I don't think he was boring or bad, just a really talented performer with a real tendency to phone it in when he wanted to.

And then there was the time Bill Watts (allegedly) told him and Chono to not steal the show from the American workers. Giving Keji Mutoh permission to half ass....

Sami Callihan won the DDT main belt, so that's something for now. Either they're booking him or he loses it back to Irie or someone else before Irie goes back to Japan.

6 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Recently, I’ve rewatched many of NXT’s best matches in history to construct a top 10 list of NXT’s best matches.

1. Gargano/Almas Philly

2. Zayn/Neville R Evolution

3. DIY/Revival Toronto

4. Nakamura/Zayn Dallas

5. Dunne/Bate Chicago

6. Sasha/Bayley Brooklyn

7. Gargano/Ciampa NOLA

8. Cesaro/Zayn Arrival

9. Sasha/Bayley Respect

10. NA Title Ladder Match NOLA

The two that I agonized over the most was the #6-7 slots and I couldn’t figure which I found to be better is Sasha/Bayley Brooklyn and Gargano/Ciampa NOLA. I gave Sasha/Bayley the slight edge because I was invested throughout the whole match while Gargano/Ciampa did have dull parts and there was too much downtime between spots. 

What do you think of the list?

In February of this year, I created a topic for the Best NXT Matches ever with my top twenty. The thread can be found here:

Our lists are similar. Four of my top five matches are the same and we agree that Almas/Gargano at NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018 is #1. Disagree with Banks/Bayley Brooklyn above the 30 minute Iron Woman match.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Player One said:

Any particular reason Liger didn't wrestle last month?

He isn't in G-1 this year and he decided not to book himself any indie dates.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

26 years ago today Ron Simmons beat Vader for the WCW title. Loved the crowd reaction.

vader-ron-simmons-gifs-001_004.gif?ssl=1

simmonssplits.gif?w=650

I've never seen someone point this out and it's always been something I've noticed, but the man in the yellow shirt and the woman in the black tank top next to him give ZERO reaction. Everyone around them goes nuts and those two are like...cardboard cutouts. 

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I've never seen someone point this out and it's always been something I've noticed, but the man in the yellow shirt and the woman in the black tank top next to him give ZERO reaction. Everyone around them goes nuts and those two are like...cardboard cutouts. 

1 minute ago, Peck said:

Racists.

You joke, but having grown up in Baltimore, I can tell you you're probably right.

• Haha 2