DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Corey Hart signs a 1 year deal with the Mariners according to Jon Heyman

In other Mariners news, David Price's agent flat out said that there is no way Price would sign any sort of extension with Seattle. With a few other teams yes, but not Seattle. Hopefully that kills any interest the Ms have in him, unless they can get him without trading Tai Walker, James Paxton or Mike Zunino.

Ms also acquire Logan Morrison from the Marlins in exchange for reliever Carter Capps. You gotta think Smoak is being shopped around now. 

SON OF A.... FUCK.

a39c98ea.jpg

FUCK.  FUCKING GOD DAMN IT.  FUCK.  

Halladay gets in, IMHO. He was an elite guy for a decade outside of maybe 2004. 6 times under 3.00 ERA, the absolute top workhorse in all of baseball for most of his career. You combine "he threw tons of innings" with "he gave up very few runs" with "for a decade straight" and you've got a HOF'er.

But let's not get crazy - Pedro Martinez was a better pitcher. His peak was way, way higher than Halladay's. His 1999 & 2000 seasons were maybe the best 2-year stretch by any pitcher EVER.

J.R. Richard called to say "WTF?"

You have GOT to be kidding. Pedro had two of the highest ERA+ seasons of all-time. JR had 106 and 130. Back to back 300k seasons are great but Pedro was a LOT better.
  • Like 1

Raul Ibanez appears likely to sign with the Angels. I figured the Ms would bring him back (one of the few guys fans up here gave a shit about last season) but the Morrison/Hart deals pretty much took care of that. 

Cashman swears they're not shopping Gardner and it'll take something seriously good for them to even consider. Doesn't explain what the fuck the team is gonna do with 6 outfielders, though.

Cashman swears they're not shopping Gardner and it'll take something seriously good for them to even consider. Doesn't explain what the fuck the team is gonna do with 6 outfielders, though.

No way they break camp with all 6. They'll eventually trade Ichiro for some minor league filler and an agreement to pay some of his salary.

Speaking of former Mariners...

With the Ms landing LoMo and Hart, I wonder how nervous Kendrys Morales is right now? No NL team is gonna want him (no matter how much Boras may claim he can play the field every day - he can't) and the selection of AL teams that A: could afford him, B: need/have room for a DH and C: are willing to surrender their 1st round pick to get him are pretty slim. As it stands right now I think you can safely say that the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, White Sox, Tigers, Royals and Mariners don't need/have room for him. The Orioles, Rays, Twins, Astros and Athletics could all use him, but probably won't want to/be able to pay what he's asking plus give up a draft pick. That leaves the Indians, Angels and Rangers and even they probably have enough DH options on their team or will think they could find somebody cheaper who won't cost a draft pick. Wouldn't surprise me if he either waits until after the draft to sign or takes a real lowball offer to go to the Athletics.

They're apparently going to trot him out in Spring Training as a motivational speaker. Whatever - it gets them press. Not like he's going to leave football.

In other news, the Cubs picked up Justin Ruggiano from the Marlins for Brian Bogusevic. Bogusevic was literally nothing, and Ruggiano actually has some talent. But man, the Cubs can't keep making these lateral free agent moves and going nowhere...it's depressing.

The Rangers used the Rule 5 draft to pluck a currently not playing prospect from the Rockies for 12 grand.

His name:  Russell Wilson.

So the Rangers have the best QB in the state of Texas now, good for them. 

• Like 3

In other news, the Cubs picked up Justin Ruggiano from the Marlins for Brian Bogusevic. Bogusevic was literally nothing, and Ruggiano actually has some talent.  

God damn it.  Miami's determined to trade anyone and everyone I like from this team and replace them with assholes who are older than I am or just flat out suck but are cheap.  

I can't wait for the final knife in my heart to hear Giancarlo Stanton has been traded to...  aw fuck it, let's say the Dodgers for 4 fuckwads who I've never heard of before but the rest of the internet hasn't rated above "B-".   And everytime he plays Miami he'll hit 5 home runs. Each game.

Fucking Loria and his stupid kiss ass staff.

MUHFnKa.gif