DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Thirty more complete games than the next active pitcher. Highest WAR of any active pitcher (higher than RIvera, Pettite). Win/Loss percentage of .6591 (again, highest of any active pitcher). Most shutouts. Eighth in WHIP, 4th in ERA+.

I am a bit biased, because I got to watch his entire career with Toronto, but I don't see how he isn't a slam dunk Hall of Famer, especially when you add in extra-curriculars like Cys, no-hitters and All-Star games. I support Jack Morris as a Hall of Famer, but would take Doc every time if I had to choose between the two.

It's a convincing argument.  In an era where everything is instantly proclaimed "the greatest ever", it's easy to be a contrarian. If Pedro goes in, so should halladay.

I think Ichiro should come back to Seattle so he can sulk and pout through his last few hits to 3000 like he did his last couple seasons the first time.

If we wanted someone to sulk and pout, I'm sure Griffey could be induced to come out of retirement. Of course, compared to Randy Johnson, Ichiro has a downright sunny disposition.

Hey, at least Randy only tanked half of one season.  Ichiro...

Halladay gets in, IMHO.  He was an elite guy for a decade outside of maybe 2004.  6 times under 3.00 ERA, the absolute top workhorse in all of baseball for most of his career.  You combine "he threw tons of innings" with "he gave up very few runs" with "for a decade straight" and you've got a HOF'er.

But let's not get crazy - Pedro Martinez was a better pitcher.  His peak was way, way higher than Halladay's.  His 1999 & 2000 seasons were maybe the best 2-year stretch by any pitcher EVER.

Typical Midwest Coast Bias.

Which of these managers just elected to the Hall of Fame was the best?

24%
    Bobby Cox

42%
    Tony La Russa

34%
    Joe Torre

Discuss (Total votes: 32,175)

Oh, this is for you, Craig: Mark Prior is officially retired after blowing out his shoulder *again*. Just 33, hasn't pitched in the majors since 2006.

Thanks, Dusty.

Mark Prior has retired more than Terry Funk.

I'm surprised he tried this long to get back into the game, as opposed to doing something useful, like being a pitching coach.

Rajai Davis is changing stripes, joining the Detroit Tigers after three seasons with the Toronto Blue Jays.

The 33-year-old outfielder has reportedly signed a two-year deal worth in the range of $9-10 million with Detroit.

Last season with Toronto, Davis batted .268 with six homers, 24 RBIs and 45 stolen bases in 331 at-bats.

Three-way trade on the brink...

Angels get Hector Santiago, Tyler Skaggs

Diamondbacks get Mark Trumbo

White Sox get Adam Eaton

Minor prospects also involved, though I'm not sure if AZ or CHW is getting them.

This is done, BTW. Arizona also gets two PTBNL, one from each team.

The Rockies have acquired left-hander Brett Anderson from the A's in exchange for left-hander Drew Pomeranz and right-hander Chris Jensen, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

Apparently Mike Morse wants a 1 year deal for 7 to 8 million dollars. Hey as long as we're asking for things we're never gonna get I would like a night in the sack with Sofia Vergara. Something tells me neither myself nor Mr Morse will be getting our wishes anytime soon

Multiple bench outfielders are getting two years for 8-11M - wouldn't be shocked if Morse gets what he wants as the OF market starts to taper off.

Here's something fun - ESPN's Mark Mulder wants to make a comeback. Dude was one of my favorite pitchers to watch back in the day, I hope he catches on somewhere.

It's nice that he's able to pitch up to 90 mph again but he's going to have to really hit his marks and change things up well with his secondary pitches if he's only pitching 90.  He's basically going to have to be Greg Maddux if he wants to have success with that velocity.

All he's looking for right now is a Spring Training invite - why the hell not? Might get your team some extra ESPN love, too.

But five years away from the game is a hell of a lot different than one or two - will be interesting to see what happens.

All he's looking for right now is a Spring Training invite - why the hell not? Might get your team some extra ESPN love, too.

But five years away from the game is a hell of a lot different than one or two - will be interesting to see what happens.

But what about his  HOF eligibility? LOL :)

Halladay gets in, IMHO.  He was an elite guy for a decade outside of maybe 2004.  6 times under 3.00 ERA, the absolute top workhorse in all of baseball for most of his career.  You combine "he threw tons of innings" with "he gave up very few runs" with "for a decade straight" and you've got a HOF'er.

But let's not get crazy - Pedro Martinez was a better pitcher.  His peak was way, way higher than Halladay's.  His 1999 & 2000 seasons were maybe the best 2-year stretch by any pitcher EVER.

J.R. Richard called to say "WTF?"

Thirty more complete games than the next active pitcher. Highest WAR of any active pitcher (higher than RIvera, Pettite). Win/Loss percentage of .6591 (again, highest of any active pitcher). Most shutouts. Eighth in WHIP, 4th in ERA+.

I am a bit biased, because I got to watch his entire career with Toronto, but I don't see how he isn't a slam dunk Hall of Famer, especially when you add in extra-curriculars like Cys, no-hitters and All-Star games. I support Jack Morris as a Hall of Famer, but would take Doc every time if I had to choose between the two.

I think I've exploded the Jack Morris mystique on this board on more than one occasion. Certainly, Hall of the Very Good, but not HOF. The more I look at Doc's numbers, the more I become convinced that he and Pedro should both go in. I think we've likely seen our last 300 game winner and W-L is probably the worst stat to use when evaluating a pitcher.