DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Right now Kelly Johnson is the starting 2B for the Yankees.  I would guess that considering the unlikely ness of A-Rod overturning his suspension that as of right now Brendan Ryan will be the 3B.  It might be wise to give Mark Reynolds a 1 year contract after all unless they can acquire a better 3B for next season.

They have talked to Reynolds and I believe he has a standing offer from them. The last reports I saw are that he is just seeing if anyone wanted to give him a better deal.

Uggla won't make me happy either but it would be WAY less infuriating than Brandon Phillips

Also speaking of 3B

Buster Olney is saying that the Dodgers are considering signing Michael Young to be their every day 3B... so yeah

And Kevin Youkilis is telling teams his preference is to play out on the West Coast because he wants to be closer to his home.

After Fister was traded, I figured all Tigers fans would just throw the hands up and say fuck it.

Although I can't find a positive for the Tigers in that deal, it shouldn't cripple the team or anything.  They still have a hell of a rotation.

I figure since it is only a one year deal we should be fine. He will be the 7th inning guy probably if Rondon can get his act together to start the season. Not terribly impressed with it but I'm not angry about it.

Definitely not Anderson but Dunn is a good pick. He might have the worst 40-HR season but his career is a little better than Reynolds, I think, if only because he hit 40 multiple times.

Dunn isn't the worst hitter to hit 40 homers. Never had an OBP less than .333 in his seasons where he hit 40 and has a .366 career OBP. Low batting average doesn't automatically mean bad hitter.

I'm pretty sure its Reynolds, although Tony Batista had a .306 OBP when he hit 40 bombs for the Blue Jays, so he's in the mix.

Todd Hundley and Tony Armas are up there.

I might argue Armas is worse than Reyonlds.

The season he hit 43 his OBP was .300 and he lead the league in strikeouts (much like Reynolds). Lord, for his career his OBP was .287

Reynolds OBP was .349 the year he hit 44.

So yeah - at least Reynolds was walking (for whatever reason). Armas... not so much

Horror of horrors for us Best Fans in Baseball: Fox Sports Midwest is bringing in Tim McCarver to broadcast a handful of Cardinals games next season.  Between him and Al Hrabosky on the TV side and Mike Shannon in the radio booth, no one will have the slightest idea what's happening on the field.

Mike Shannon is a Saint.  If anyone will take the piss out of McCarver, it's him.

McCarver should have his tendons replaced with fiberoptics and be embedded in the wall of the Cardinals Hall of Fame as a talking historical exhibit that no one listens to as they walk past it to get to the Gary Templeton room.

Speaking of concussions, Ryan Freel had CTE.

members.jacksonville.com/sports/high-schools/2013-12-15/story/family-ryan-freel-was-suffering-brain-disease-cte

This may explain Freel having an imaginary friend. Feel bad for the guy and how his life ended.

Mike Shannon is a Saint.  If anyone will take the piss out of McCarver, it's him.

McCarver should have his tendons replaced with fiberoptics and be embedded in the wall of the Cardinals Hall of Fame as a talking historical exhibit that no one listens to as they walk past it to get to the Gary Templeton room.

I love listening to Mike Shannon when he's on color commentary, and his Friday night post-game radio shows are just so much fun.  But listening to him attempt play-by-play is excruciating, moreso because he's on the radio.  On TV, his befuddled play-by-play would add to his charm since we'd be able to see what's actually happening on the field.  Kind of like Harry Caray in his final years with the Cubs.

The Cardinals Hall of Fame should build a wing/dungeon dedicated to McCarver interviewing former players whose Cardinal greatness befit his broadcasting abilities.  An interactive exhibit featuring Neil Allen, Tripp Cromer, Ozzie Canseco, and so on.