DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Yasiel Puig has been arrested and charged with reckless driving for the second time in eight months in Florida. He was busted for driving 110 in a 70 mph zone. He was busted in April for driving 97 in a 50.

Douchebag.

although to be fair, he hit 110 in a 70 in Alligator Alley, where the average driver is going 84 in a 70. I've never really felt comfortable going much over 75mph, but going in a straight line for 78 miles with 2 offramps is always a tempting target for speeding.

He found up getting off of 97 in a 50 with community service (remember when he was with those kids in little league games?). So I'd imagine he'll do the same again here

I await your outrage over the numerous DUIs in Spring Training as well.

You expecting me to not be pissed?  If I hear about it, I'll be ticked about it. 

Regardless of that, some other guy getting a DUI during spring training doesn't make Puig any less of a douchebag for driving recklessly.  Twice.

Not saying that at all. Some jackholes that didn't say a word about Helton (among others) and his DUI ten months ago are currently in the process of leading Puig to the stocks.

In my case, I either hadn't heard about it or forgot about it (Helton).

That said, every case is different.  On the one hand, you've got a guy who's been a solid citizen for 15 years who screwed up once (Helton).

On the other hand, you've got a guy with a reputation for being selfish and immature who's been in the majors for half a year and already been arrested twice (Puig).

Without excusing Helton at all, Is it really any mystery why Puig is getting more grief than Helton did?

I obviously know Coleman from the fact he was a Yankee

Growing up - I went to multiple Old Timers Games and he was one of the "older" fixtures even then. He was also always at those memorabilia shows I would go to with my Dad and Sister. Never would have a line which is pretty sad when you really think about.

The other thing you would always learn (at least in the trying to know everything about the Yanks kinda way) about Coleman was that he clearly loved his country more than baseball as he fought in TWO wars (WW2 and Korean) and, I believe, he is the only MLBer to serve to do that.

I obviously know Coleman from the fact he was a Yankee

Growing up - I went to multiple Old Timers Games and he was one of the "older" fixtures even then. He was also always at those memorabilia shows I would go to with my Dad and Sister. Never would have a line which is pretty sad when you really think about.

The other thing you would always learn (at least in the trying to know everything about the Yanks kinda way) about Coleman was that he clearly loved his country more than baseball as he fought in TWO wars (WW2 and Korean) and, I believe, he is the only MLBer to serve to do that.

Ted Williams says hi, or at least his frozen head does. . .

You are right - the list is just Coleman and Williams

Williams I always get confused by because he got called up from the reserves for Korean and was NOT happy about. So I think I had convinced myself that he had been able to use his status to not serve. Clearly that was wrong.

Teddy Ballgame was such a badass - he was a frigging fighter pilot in both wars.  No sitting on the sidelines for him!

Umm, no.  Ted never saw combat action in WW2.  At all.  He was a flight instructor and played baseball - never even made it past Hawaii.  So his duty in WW2 was about the same as DiMaggio's - aside from Ted at least being a flight instructor.  Let's not even go into how Ted tried to fight going into the service in WW2.

He DID serve in Korea though.  But even then Ted tried to fight going.  So...it's sorta Coleman in a walk for military duty.

But...we're picking nits.  Great Americans.  USA.  E-T-C.