DVDVR Message Board

WWE RAW 25, 22nd January 2018

The Natural

6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The Manhattan Center Raw was a nice bit of nostalgia.  dX HHH giving a NXT HHH speech was weird at first, but that bit was basically a passing of the torch moment to the Balor Club.

HHH is ready to go with the "we are" speech anywhere he goes. You should hear "We are IHOP" on Tuesdays when kids eat free. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tommy Dreamer was tweeting along with RAW and counting all the people he was in the ring with.

He said at the end of the show that he shared the ring with 45 people who showed up

Like most Raws, there were things that were good but a whole lot that missed. For all the hype this had, it was a pretty historic disaster. 

Good: 

- Jordan's heel turn is working. He's working as an upper midcard heel. For all the issues with the Kurt as father story, they've seen to come out the other side with it as a success.

- Elias is such a great promo and has star presence. If his in-ring ever catches up, he could be a great upper-midcard, occasional main event act. 

- Miz and Reigns was very good.

- I don't know what the long-play is with the Balor Club is except  "don't go back to New Japan when your contract is up" but it's working. No clue where they fit in at Mania season, though. This is all a net positive for Balor as he's allowed to show personality and it redeems Gallows and Anderson.  

As someone who saw Elias's first ever match  i will say he has grown leaps and bounds.  

I came here to post a couple things.

1. It's funny they showed more Punk clips than clips of Bret, Sid, and Vader  and WWE isn't funding a suit against the latter 3.

2. Would it have killed them to do a memorial video to those who passed during the 25 yrs?  I thought it would have been a nice touch.

9 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

You sure? I got the feeling that we are getting a Cena-Elias program come Mania.

Yes as that is what is being reported by multiple folks

Elias is filling in for Joe for the Rumble (ie: they have some sort of spot planned)

Remember - Joe had specifically called Cena regarding the Rumble... then he got hurt

43 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

2. Would it have killed them to do a memorial video to those who passed during the 25 yrs?  I thought it would have been a nice touch.

That would have eaten up a good 15 minutes as well as shed light on the "wrestlers die young" issue that WWE would prefer not to shed light on - so yeah, it might have actually killed them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

What was the point of the Miz even losing the belt in November anyways? I know he went to film the movie with HBK and Becky. But still, they couldn’t have just left it on him? Brock shows up less than a Nerf football wielding deadbeat dad on your birthday. Shit, even Dean as US champion defended it less. 

The IC title reigns Miz has is approaching Cena/Edge levels of stupid, and I like the Miz. But him approaching Jericho’s record now stinks. But hey, it’s wrestling, why should I really care?

Going into the holiday season with both the Universal and IC titles off TV isn't a good idea. Putting the IC strap on Roman meant great matches, checking off the Grand Slam achievement for him, and having Reigns in position to do Raw 25 publicity while carrying a title.

Reigns did more with the belt in nine weeks than Miz did with it since moving to Raw in April. I don't blame Miz for that, but it what it is. This should lead to Elias getting the title, anyway.

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

They really should have, with one glaring exception, of course.

I am not sad that Frank the Clown and Brock Lesnar Guy got dicked over.

That being said - I know that Frank didn't have to pay for his tickets so he can save his moral outrage over "I KNOW PEOPLE!"

• Like 1

Just now, RIPPA said:

I am not sad that Frank the Clown and Brock Lesnar Guy got dicked over.

That being said - I know that Frank didn't have to pay for his tickets so he can save his moral outrage over "I KNOW PEOPLE!"

Well if Frank didn't pay then he can piss off for all I care.  But I can't help but side with those that paid tons of money for not much of anything.  The DX/Balor Club segment was amazing and I loved it to pieces.  But it just wasn't enough to warrant having the show there.  If they were going to do two venues they could have at least done the Manhattan part for an hour and had it pre-taped.  That would have given enough time to do proper matches instead of sending 205 Live guys out for a couple minutes.

And I was in disbelief that Jericho's Alpha Club shirt was allowed.  It really drove home the fact that this dude now in New Japan is on Raw.  Pretty cool to see.

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

And I was in disbelief that Jericho's Alpha Club shirt was allowed.  It really drove home the fact that this dude now in New Japan is on Raw.  Pretty cool to see.

Jericho really is getting everything he wants. Wrestle Kingdom gave him maybe the strongest argument for being an individual draw that he's ever had, a whole lotta merch sales (on top of what must have been a really big payday), and a slightly transgressive feel to this and his next few WWE appearances. Like, of course he would show up. And of course he's going to have a WWE comeback. But it gets to feel paradoxically novel, for all that it's predictable.

It's also amusing to see the Bálor (née Bullet) Club formally given a branch on the the broader Kliq/DX/NWO family tree. Ironically, this making the wrestling world feel bigger and smaller at once--in that it's all WWE, one way or another--is what WWE does best, even on a show that's so concerned with looking inward and backward.

• Like 8