DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is GLORIOUS!!!! - August 22, 2017

Dewar

Bobby Roode debuts, Shelton Benjamin returns, Nakamura beats up the Singhs, and Shane "screws" Owens again. The only bad thing tonight was that fucking Ziggler came back.

Even the fans were not bad. Was it all the out of towners that were shitheads the last two nights?

Baron Corbin: YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

Shane McMahon: Give me that jersey and leave

Baron Corbin: [as he takes off ref jersey and leaves] "NO! YOU CAN"T TELL ME WHAT TO DO CAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT!"

[Baron Corbin leaves]

Baron Corbin gets funnier every week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The AJ/Shane/Owens debacle is incredibly lame.  AJ and Owens have been having good matches, but it's time they moved on to different opponents and is clearly leading to Owens time being wasted in a program with Shane.  I did like how Owens brought up the ref shirt suddenly making Shane have zero pain tolerance.

Roode has always been a snoozefest for me, but he's overachieved in his past several title matches so I'll wait and see what he brings to the table here.

Didn't the Hype Bros break up and start feuding a while back?  Then again I don't think anyone cares about them enough to remember.  The match was good enough though.

I wonder if they're going to re-do the initial American Alpha teamup schtick of an overly gregarious Gable getting a more taciturn Shelton on board, or just have them get on eachothers' nerves until they end up in a feud?  It's a good use of the both of them, though it would have been even better if they'd never broken up AA in the first place and Angle just brought in Shelton to Raw as his old friend he was going to push.

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

Didn't the Hype Bros break up and start feuding a while back?  Then again I don't think anyone cares about them enough to remember.  The match was good enough though.

Those were the "Hype Bros." They broke up and then re-united as the "Hi Pros." But then they split and feuded for awhile and got back together as the "Hyper O's." But now, after a short split, they are back together as the "High Prose."

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Those were the "Hype Bros." They broke up and then re-united as the "Hi Pros." But then they split and feuded for awhile and got back together as the "Hyper O's." But now, after a short split, they are back together as the "High Prose."

Can't wait until they are High Fructose.

8 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Remember Mike Kanellis? Whatever happened to that guy.

I remember his wife. Maria's return and Mike's debut should have been in nxt. I feel like their act, and especially their entrance theme would have gotten over better in nxt.

Interesting to see Bobby Roode's debut against Aiden English. Glorious is going to be sung along with whether Roode is a heel or face, so I guess there's no sense in trying to force the crowd to boo him. Aiden's "The Scream" tights are awesome. Hopefully his continual losing all leads to "At Enternity's Gate" tights.

Dug Roode's debut. I'm pleased to see Shelton back. AJ/Owens/Shane stuff didn't do much for me.

Hype Bros vs.Usos was nice while it lasted.

Women's tag match was fun. I continue to like Lana trying to build Tamina up into a monster.

Glad Nakamura is still in the title mix.

The crowd was way better tonight.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I think WWE might have learned their lesson tonight and decided not to pay attention to any beach balls. Sure, you could see it a couple of times, but at least they didn't have the camera go to it nor have any wrestlers reference it like Cena did.

56 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Managed by Lanny Poffo, whose WCW contract finally expired 4 months ago.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Bobby Roode!!!!!!

Although babyface Roode is not the best idea. He's the perfect heel. He should weasel the US title off AJ asap and hold it until they're ready for a new heel WWE champ to take out whoever gets the transitional reign after they finally punt on Mahal.

Then he should basically hold it forever.

• Like 2

Side tangent (I am sure it is in that thread) but Enzo was officially moved to 205 Live as he showed up at the end of the show

It is interesting to me that they made all the changes on Tuesday night but didn't do anything on Monday

I would prefer Benjamin and Gable as WGTT V.2.0 but it definitely appears that they are going to break up after like a week (I guess that is just as well since they are so face tag team heavy already)

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

Dug Roode's debut. I'm pleased to see Shelton back. AJ/Owens/Shane stuff didn't do much for me.

Hype Bros vs.Usos was nice while it lasted.

Women's tag match was fun. I continue to like Lana trying to build Tamina up into a monster.

Glad Nakamura is still in the title mix.

Any chance whatsoever that JBL mentions Suzuki-gun?

Benjamin was in the stable, and JBL has a habit of acknowledging that Japan exists. Not always accurately--saying Nakamura beat Goto for the IWGP heavyweight championship, when Goto's probably most famous for never winning it--but he... tries. Sometimes.