DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

14 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Only notable because it resulted in Hart receiving a groin pull, "the likes of which you've never seen", and Bret essentially burying Malenko in his book. 

Oh wow I had no idea about that. I only got to about 1992 in Bret's book before my ex-girlfriend returned it to the library, and I never got around to buying a copy.

I need to read Bret's book again - it's been nearly 10 years now. 

Random timing: I am listening to Schiavone and Conrad re Havoc '90. They're talking about Bobby Eaton and how he would have made a terrible trainer for NXT because he couldn't communicate what he did and why he did it. It's just something he did instinctively. 

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Oh wow I had no idea about that. I only got to about 1992 in Bret's book before my ex-girlfriend returned it to the library, and I never got around to buying a copy.

Yeah, he said that they were going to do a superplex spot and that Malenko wasn't strong enough to properly hoist Bret onto the turnbuckle. He ended up dropping Bret groin first onto the piece of steel that connects the buckle to the post.

• Like 1

I'll pick up Bret's book next time I get paid. Thanks for all the insight on that everyone.

On another note, I checked out the US qualifiers for WCPW's World Cup of Wrestling based on a YouTube notification, and though I haven't really seen much from them, I have to say that I really, really, really enjoy the presentation.

Speaking of Savage in Japan, last month on Youtube I found a couple of matches of him on some New Japan tour in 1995 and he had a damn good match with Jushin Thunder Liger. In the match he must have legit hurt his knee because on the next card he took on Flair and he was practically on one leg the entire match.

I kinda miss that stuff. It's a shame the WWE won't let guys work Japan tours like they used to back in the day. It might let some people get some otherwise needed experience. But as we know everything must be the WWE style.

• Like 4

Eh, I'd say WWE style is still pretty distinct, even if there has been a lot of dilution with North American Indy style over the last 5 or 6 years. Mandatory restholds, floor spots leading to commercial, punches as primary strikes, and every match having the same general ebb and flow of face/heel control are all things that are very noticeable against other promotions. To be fair, this only applies to the main roster, NXT actually does a pretty decent job mixing things up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There are certain elements of WWE style that persist forever. Especially the "bump and feed"

Is that the industry term for the "babyface makes their comeback with three little, shitty clotheslines while the heel inexplicably keeps getting up to receive each one" sequence that I despise?

5 hours ago, Victator said:

You wouldn't really notice without WWE production. 

The commercial break spots were the only production related item on my list, though. Even on ppvs, I'm conditioned to expect a commercial break because they still use the floor rest/momentum change spot all the time. I honestly think it's only a matter of time before they start doing commercials on ppvs. They already do them on the pre-show.

Also, bump and feed, ugggghhh.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There are certain elements of WWE style that persist forever. Especially the "bump and feed"

That's not exclusive to WWE style, you just described practically every hot tag from Ricky Morton to Robert Gibson.

I hate how everybody in WWE sits around after a big move or spot because they're waiting for TV to stop showing the replays.  Kills the momentum of the match.  I feel like all big WWE matches go on 5 minutes longer than they need to just because of all the dead time guys spend laying around during replays.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sasha said:

That's not exclusive to WWE style, you just described practically every hot tag from Ricky Morton to Robert Gibson.

I'm not saying it's exclusive, I'm saying it is a fundamental element of what WWE does. 

If you read Jericho's second book, he talks about how Vince insists on it and it was a really tough adjustment for him.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
Just now, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not saying it's exclusive, I'm saying it is a fundamental element of what WWE does. 

If you read Jericho's second book, he talks about how Vince insists on it and it was a really tough adjustment for him.

EVERYONE LIKES A HOT TAG, PAL.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

DDP also had a hard time with it. The constant "bump and feed" style was pretty hard on his back. 

19 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Summerslam 94 is on the network right now, and it got me wondering. How many times did WWF/E run the United Center? I thought they only ran the Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Center.

That was the only time they ever ran there to my knowledge. WCW would always use it for Nitro's, but the WWF/E never went back there after Summerslam 94. I always assumed it had to be a deal like with how MSG is now and its just broadcasting and union costs. WCW didn't give a shit about how much money they were pissing away. I mean they flew in Michael Buffer for Nitro's a couple times a month and each "Lets get ready to Rumble" must have cost them a nice piece of money of the production budget.

4 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

That was the only time they ever ran there to my knowledge. WCW would always use it for Nitro's, but the WWF/E never went back there after Summerslam 94. I always assumed it had to be a deal like with how MSG is now and its just broadcasting and union costs. WCW didn't give a shit about how much money they were pissing away. I mean they flew in Michael Buffer for Nitro's a couple times a month and each "Lets get ready to Rumble" must have cost them a nice piece of money of the production budget.

WWF ran house shows at the United Center until the end of 1995.