DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, there are reports that there are possible plans for a Superstar shakeup coming again after Summerslam. This is not confirmed, but sources have told the WON that roster moves are coming in the fall. The Superstar shakeup did great ratings both nights, but there was a noticeable drop in the numbers afterwards. Many feel that the shakeup led to less interesting rosters, with many unexplained moves like Cena being billed as a free agent, Lesnar being scheduled for Smackdown live events and Jordan being moved from Smackdown to Raw with no explanation as to how the move was made.

One thing being discusses is sending a few names to NXT in the superstar shakeup. These people would be, “people who were major stars in NXT that Vince McMahon simply isn’t going to push even if they are over, or people who are doing nothing on the main roster with the idea they could be more useful as major players on NXT.”

From the Observer:

Strowman fears Angle

There was a story 7/17 when GFW had meetings in Nashville and WWE had Raw in the city and some GFW people and WWE people ended up at the same bar later that night. Karen Jarrett came up to Strowman. The belief is that Strowman had no idea who she was, even though it’s not like there are that many woman wrestling fans who look like her. Karen said to him that he was one of her son’s favorite wrestlers and asked for an autograph for her son. I’m not sure what got into Strowman but he was rude, and may have sworn at her (the version I heard had it but that’s from someone far enough away that they didn’t hear the verbiage of what started it but was told he did, but everyone there saw what happened next). It turned into a scene at the bar because Karen immediately cut a major loud promo on him for blowing her off. While she was going off on him, she said how she was going to tell her son’s father about this incident, and her son’s father is Kurt Angle. Strowman did an about face, said he’d sign the autograph and begged her not to tell Kurt or anyone and said he was so sorry. She said she was telling Kurt. He said he’d get on his knees and beg her not to tell Kurt. She said she was still telling him. He did get on his knees in front of a lot of wrestlers from WWE and begged her not to, and she basically said something like now you’re acting like that because you found out that Kurt Angle is the father of her son, but even if he wasn’t, he should have never acted like that to a mother who asked for an autograph for her son, even if it was just another wrestling fan. He did say that’s true and he was sorry. Of course this story will be denied all week by everyone involved

I'd be fine with people not being used much on NXT, but wonder if their pay will decrease or stay the same due to going there.  I sense Apollo would be somebody going to NXT as I haven't seen him with Titus for a couple weeks and that could only benefit him.  With the Superstar Shakeup I was fine with that being the only "draft" going on this year, really not seeing much of a point doing another one.  If this ends up being a thing I'm going to need to see who would be safe and who's likely to go to NXT.

3 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

From the Observer:

Strowman fears Angle

There was a story 7/17 when GFW had meetings in Nashville and WWE had Raw in the city and some GFW people and WWE people ended up at the same bar later that night. Karen Jarrett came up to Strowman. The belief is that Strowman had no idea who she was, even though it’s not like there are that many woman wrestling fans who look like her. Karen said to him that he was one of her son’s favorite wrestlers and asked for an autograph for her son. I’m not sure what got into Strowman but he was rude, and may have sworn at her (the version I heard had it but that’s from someone far enough away that they didn’t hear the verbiage of what started it but was told he did, but everyone there saw what happened next). It turned into a scene at the bar because Karen immediately cut a major loud promo on him for blowing her off. While she was going off on him, she said how she was going to tell her son’s father about this incident, and her son’s father is Kurt Angle. Strowman did an about face, said he’d sign the autograph and begged her not to tell Kurt or anyone and said he was so sorry. She said she was telling Kurt. He said he’d get on his knees and beg her not to tell Kurt. She said she was still telling him. He did get on his knees in front of a lot of wrestlers from WWE and begged her not to, and she basically said something like now you’re acting like that because you found out that Kurt Angle is the father of her son, but even if he wasn’t, he should have never acted like that to a mother who asked for an autograph for her son, even if it was just another wrestling fan. He did say that’s true and he was sorry. Of course this story will be denied all week by everyone involved

2 words for this - complete horseshit 

• Like 2

And I can see not knowing who Karen Angle is. I have no freaking idea what she looks like because I never watched her in TNA and I'm not one who is curious to see what a wrestler's spouse looks like. The rest of that story, with Braun begging and everything else sounds like such bullshit that if it were real and if it were in front of THAT many people then you would have heard way more about this by now.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And I can see not knowing who Karen Angle is. I have no freaking idea what she looks like because I never watched her in TNA and I'm not one who is curious to see what a wrestler's spouse looks like. The rest of that story, with Braun begging and everything else sounds like such bullshit that if it were real and if it were in front of THAT many people then you would have heard way more about this by now.

Come on now, Craig.  It's not like everyone in the bar would have portable recording devices with which they could photograph or videotape a 6'8 giant man getting down on his knees to beg forgiveness from a rather tall woman... oh, oh wait.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caley said:

Come on now, Craig.  It's not like everyone in the bar would have portable recording devices with which they could photograph or videotape a 6'8 giant man getting down on his knees to beg forgiveness from a rather tall woman... oh, oh wait.

There's plenty of footage like that on the Internet already.

• Like 3

So, this tells you something about me and taking pictures of shit like that, but someone taking video of it didn't even cross my mind. Whenever I see drama go down somewhere now, my mind goes to one of two places. One, how fast does this shit go sideways and how many people get hurt. Two, boy is this ever AWKWARD and gross feeling and I wish it would stop. 

Buy yeah, why the hell even print this fucking word salad when it's obviously bullshit. Also, I'm confused. Is Karen Angle the one that's with Jeff Jarrett now or is she Jeff's ex-wife? I know the word salad said that Kurt is her husband, so I'm assuming it's the latter, but I honestly can't keep track of that weird wife swap shit.

Harley Race with two broken legs would still fuck a motherfucker up. Dude has hands made for working with rebar and welding without protective gloves. I'd be afraid to shake his hand let alone piss him off and risk him looking to beat the shit out of me.

And here is the exact blurb about the Superstar Shakeup

While it would seem way early to do this again, Mike Johnson at PW Insider reported the idea of a Superstar shakeup coming again after SummerSlam and others have confirmed to us that there is definitely talk of roster moves in the fall and even some tentative proposed ideas. The one thing is the Superstar shakeup did great ratings both nights, but there was a big drop afterwards as the shakeups seemed to make for less interesting rosters. But this could be a way to rectify it. The roster split thing is weird because Renee Young was on Raw this week with no explanation, not that it really matters. The company then announced that Young is now working for both Raw and Smackdown, so I guess she’s the female Cena. Lesnar is booked on some Smackdown house shows. Cena is billed as a free agent but he’s never been on Raw, although obviously there are plans for him to be at some point. Jordan moved from Smackdown to Raw with no explanation as to how the move was made. Another aspect being talked about is to send one or more wrestlers from the main roster to NXT. Names in particular would be people who were major stars in NXT that Vince McMahon simply isn’t going to push even if they are over, or people who are doing nothing on the main roster with the idea they could be more useful as major players on NXT

If they do it right after Summeslam that would mean 3 "shakeups" in a little more than a year

So, the pic of Kane in the tiny Kane-for-mayor car in the photo thread tickled something, and because this is the kind of nerd I am, I went and looked up the financial disclosure forms for Glenn Jacobs' campaign for Knox County Mayor. Some tidbits:

• The campaign has received a total of $42,833 so far.
  • Most of this is $25,500 in loans Jacobs made to his campaign. He and other members of his family appear to have contributed a further $1500 or so.
  • Vince, Linda, Hunter, and Stephanie all appear to have contributed $1,500 each (presumably the maximum as no one has contributed more) to the campaign. All of them list the WWE main office in Stamford as their address on the form.
  • Someone is ribbing someone, here: Randy Orton, with a Missouri address, is listed as a contributor of $25. I dunno if that's a fan ribbing Orton or Orton ribbing Kane, but someone is ribbing someone.
  • Glenn Jacobs is listed as having made a $5 contribution. I'd love to know the story behind that one.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, I'm confused. Is Karen Angle the one that's with Jeff Jarrett now or is she Jeff's ex-wife? I know the word salad said that Kurt is her husband, so I'm assuming it's the latter, but I honestly can't keep track of that weird wife swap shit.

She has kids from when married to Kurt.  Since divorcing and marrying to Jeff it sounds like there's joint custody, especially after he cleaned himself up.

And I'm curious who his source was on this story, everything about it sounds like bullshit.

1 hour ago, tlk23 said:

One thing being discusses is sending a few names to NXT in the superstar shakeup. These people would be, “people who were major stars in NXT that Vince McMahon simply isn’t going to push even if they are over, or people who are doing nothing on the main roster with the idea they could be more useful as major players on NXT.”

How big is the meltdown going to be when it's Sami or Nak?

I could see it working for 205 Live people as a transition to "heavyweight," though. You left too soon, Aries!

7 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

How big is the meltdown going to be when it's Sami or Nak?

I could see it working for 205 Live people as a transition to "heavyweight," though. You left too soon, Aries!

Sami and Nak are safe, no way even they'd be that stupid to send them back down.  If I'm somehow wrong I'll watch the worst match in the history of wrestling as punishment.

Honestly, we've already talked about it, but Enzo is a prime candidate to go back to NXT.

Beyond him, I'm sure there's others who would do well for a return trip to NXT.

I really don't know why this is making me laugh so much (from the WON)

The October issue of Pro Wrestling Illustrated, had a column by Stu Sacks revealing after all these years that Matt Brock and Liz Hunter were fictitious characters, and that over the years, Dave Rosenbaum, Steve Farhood (now a boxing Hall of Famer), Craig Peters, Eddie Ellner and Joe Bua all wrote under the Brock and Hunter names for years. He also wrote that up until a few years ago, virtually every quote from a wrestler in all of their magazines were actually made up. He said that after the story on the website popmatters.com on the history of the so-called Apter mags (that Saks, who started in the 70s at the same time I did, doing a pro wrestling newsletter and I actually would send him reports of matches from the Cow Palace and other arenas) which looked at what was and wasn’t real about those magazines that there is no reason to hide the truth. Saks said that the former employees had no problem revealing secrets that were supposed to remain sacred, but he said that he didn’t have any problem with it and that in the article, he spoke freely on it as well. He said that today they no longer are doing that.

I think the idea that someone reads this and had their mind fucking blown is what is making me cackle the most