DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

I don't have kids, and the only person in my family that watches wrestling besides me is my cousin's husband and her 5 year old son. I don't know about the husband, I think he just watches it because he's latched onto wrestling right now, but the kid's favorite is Brock Lesnar, hands down. He was CRUSHED when Goldberg dominated him at Survivor Series.

Already loving the heels, he's going to turn out just fine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I have a daughter who isn't even 2 yet, and normally only animated stuff holds her attention.  On the few times I've DVR'd Smackdown to watch, she sits attentively and pulls at my beard when Bray Wyatt is on TV and says Daddy, while pointing.

You must be a bit husky. 

• Like 4

My 12 year old doesn't like watching Wrestling on telly (although he quite likes going to actual Wrestling shows live). But when he was about  4, he loved anyone who wrestled in a mask.Once there was an Impact replay at ten in the morning, and the Prince Justice Brotherhood (Super Eric, Curry Man and Shark Boy) were on, and he really loved them. 

True or false: Every day when he wakes up, Johnny Devine thanks god that Vince Russo never saw Pink Flamingoes?

13 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Tell that to my  8 year old kid who spends 16 hours a week in the gym and another 1 hour a day at home practicing so that she can actually physically do those routines.

And my bank account to pay for a kid just hitting Level 5 in the USAG system.

Good for her, but a sport requires more than physical urgency. If outcomes are determined entirely by subjective judging, it's not a sport.

19 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Possibly worth its own thread since I know a lot of you are parents, but for those of you who have kids that are interested in wrestling, how old are they and who are their favorites?

Both of my kids will watch some stuff with me, daughter aged 11 and son aged 10. He's way more into it, though, and will watch everything from WWE and NXT to various Indy and Japan stuff. We aren't huge wrestling consumers but I'll seek out stuff I think he'll like based on tastes and specific wrestles. His favorites are Ricochet, Jeff Cobb, and Will Ospreay. We went to a couple Evolve shows, too, and he got to meet and talk a little with the first two (real nice dudes too, we also talked to Ciampa and I think they all liked seeing kiddos amongst the many weirdos and neckbeards).

He also plays a fuckton of 2K17.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Victator said:

Let me add something. The issue here is that the same people who were trying to tell me that the current crop are great wrestlers. Were doing the same thing in 2007 with Melina and Victoria and in 2003 with Trish Stratus and Lita.

I agree with this. If you only followed online discussion, it'd be hard to discern that there ever was a period outside of the Chyna/Sable era that Divas wrestling was considered bad. And the women may be better now on a week-to-week basis than they've ever been, but I don't think they've had a match yet as good as Trish/Mickie at Wrestlemania 22.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Possibly worth its own thread since I know a lot of you are parents, but for those of you who have kids that are interested in wrestling, how old are they and who are their favorites?

I have 2 boys, one is 7, the other just turned 1. 

I just asked my oldest and he rattled off the following list (typed in exactly the order he listed them in)

Shinsuke Nakamura, John Cena, Seth Rollins, Jericho, KO, Bayley, Sasha, Bobby Roode and Dean Ambrose.

He pops hella huge anytime any of the women are on TV, he gets way into their matches than anyone else except for Nakamura it seems. And that translates down through the ladies in NXT as well, he's way into Ember Moon and Asuka. 

He is also a big fan of the small piece of STARDOM that he has seen. I should start turning him on to AJW.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I agree with this. If you only followed online discussion, it'd be hard to discern that there ever was a period outside of the Chyna/Sable era that Divas wrestling was considered bad. And the women may be better now on a week-to-week basis than they've ever been, but I don't think they've had a match yet as good as Trish/Mickie at Wrestlemania 22.

That's because the wrestling by and large hasn't been truly awful since then. You had some cases of people being overpushed relative to their ability (Candace and Kelly come to mind), but the problems were mostly structural. After the blatantly sexist presentation died down after Lita's retirement, the women were still presented like an afterthought for another 6 years or so. It wasn't until WWE changed their approach from development to corporate that things drastically improved. I think if the Mickie/Beth/Melina/Michelle core had the same company structure as the 4HW, they probably would've had similar success, but they didn't.

If we were to make a list of the top 15 WWE women's matches since 2000, 2015-present would be very disproportionately represented.

• Like 1

They need to go farther than that with something like a 6-man title.

Make the cruisers as different as possible and that typical cruiserweight style lends itself so well to multi-man matches.  The roster is getting big enough at this point to where they could have quite a few teams put together.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Good for her, but a sport requires more than physical urgency. If outcomes are determined entirely by subjective judging, it's not a sport.

What's the difference between  touchdown and an incomplete pass? The referees opinion of what the replay shows.

Again, if I were to make a top 20 matches from WWE over the past two years, there would be at least 5 womens matches on that list.. minimum. There's not another era where that has happened.

Now, you can say that Mickie and Trish from Mania 22 is better and that's your opinion just know that you are wrong.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Casey said:

CNN just ran a story about Corey Graves' brother, Sam Adonis, who wrestles in Mexico doing a pro-Trump gimmick. I'm not sure if he started the gimmick before or after Brian Cage, though. If Cage did do it first, I guess they did it on Sam because he wrestles mainly in Mexico now? I'm not sure. It was under 5 minutes long, and after it they showed Trump tackling Vince McMahon at WrestleMania 23 (but didn't mention that Vince's significant other is now a member of Trump's cabinet - dafuq?).

AAA did the trump gimmick first. Adonis has been doing it since the fall (before the election). He has been working in Mexico since the summer. I had him on the pod then.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

CNN just ran a story about Corey Graves' brother, Sam Adonis, who wrestles in Mexico doing a pro-Trump gimmick. I'm not sure if he started the gimmick before or after Brian Cage, though. If Cage did do it first, I guess they did it on Sam because he wrestles mainly in Mexico now? I'm not sure. It was under 5 minutes long, and after it they showed Trump tackling Vince McMahon at WrestleMania 23 (but didn't mention that Vince's significant other is now a member of Trump's cabinet - dafuq?).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matt788 said:

Question for NJPW fans. What does Naito's hand to eye gesture mean? I have seen him do it many times and am puzzled by it. Thanks.

When he was working in Mexico, he was told he couldn't get over cause his eyes were too squinty. 

25 minutes ago, Matt788 said:

Question for NJPW fans. What does Naito's hand to eye gesture mean? I have seen him do it many times and am puzzled by it. Thanks.

When he was working in Mexico, he was told he couldn't get over cause his eyes were too squinty.