DVDVR Message Board

SDL IS THE SHOW OF THE YEAR (01/03/17)

RIPPA

Ziggler/Corbin was probably their best match yet, and I loved the heel turn. Heel Ziggler vs. guys like Crews & Kalisto should be interesting. They have needed a mid card gate for these guys for a while now and Miz really is too good right now to be in such a role.

Carmela/Aliyah was decent and I'm digging the stuff with Ellsworth. Nikki/Nattie was short and sweet. Hopefully their matches turn into full blown brawls with the two trying to destroy each other. It feels more appropriate with how nasty Nattie has been to Nikki.

I'm sad AA didn't get a real match, but the rematch with the Wyatts should be fun.

Cena/AJ signing was great stuff as expected. I'm lookign forward to Corbin vs. Cena next week.

Miz & Maryse were on fire all night. The IC match was solid though I wasn't happy with Miz not retaining. That said, Miz's break down on Talking Smack was fantastic and may have been worth it. He looked like he wanted to pounced on both Renee & Daniel. I really hope he gets some sort of short main event push.

Very entertaining show. Corbin's finally starting to blend his Talking Smack persona with his Smackdown persona.

They've done a very good job this year of building up real potential Royal Rumble winners. They've thrown out enough different potential WrestleMania scenarios that you could see it going a number of ways.

I was waiting for Miz to be like "I WISH THEY WOULD CLEAR YOU DANIEL, JUST SO I COULD SEND YOU RIGHT BACK TO THE SCRAP HEAP"  Miz going semi crazy Ric Flair in that was amazing. Miz needs a stable of guys. Let him have the new Horsemen-esq group. Strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I was waiting for Miz to be like "I WISH THEY WOULD CLEAR YOU DANIEL, JUST SO I COULD SEND YOU RIGHT BACK TO THE SCRAP HEAP"  Miz going semi crazy Ric Flair in that was amazing. Miz needs a stable of guys. Let him have the new Horsemen-esq group. Strike while the iron is hot.

Don't start teasing me with The Revival.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Holy shit.

The thing that bugged me there was Bryan had counters to what Miz said but chose not to. 

From saying pointing out he has eclipsed every accomplishment MIz has. To a very basic "I don't need medical clearance to kick your teeth out and he should praise God he has the general manager job."

I really think Bryan should have kicked Bryan in the face during the Dolph match. 

I enjoyed seeing Maryse slap Renee Young. I really hope they do a old fashioned cat fight. I don't think anyone wants to see Maryse and Renee work holds for thirty minutes. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

The thing that bugged me there was Bryan had counters to what Miz said but chose not to. 

From saying pointing out he has eclipsed every accomplishment MIz has. To a very basic "I don't need medical clearance to kick your teeth out and he should praise God he has the general manager job."

In someone or another's podcast, possibly Jericho's, Heyman recounts cutting a promo and Dusty saying "Where's the money?"

If Bryan can't wrestle, then Bryan putting himself over Miz, or threatening him, doesn't lead to any payoff. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just wanted to point out we already have three matches announced for next week's Smackdown

Clearly that is a foreign concept for RAW

RAW is a Sports Entertainment show that happens to have Pro-Wrestling on it.

Smackdown is a Pro-Wrestling show that has Sports Entertainment elements on it

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Don't start teasing me with The Revival.

So how about a Miz and his Entourage stable with his Entourage being the Revival and Baron Corbin. Sure the group would be short lived because all four men have their own self interests and they'd all turn on each other. Daniel Bryan could reward the members who turn on the Miz. Revival turn on Miz, they get a tag title shot next week. Baron Corbin lays out the Miz, he gets a WWE World Title match next PPV. Maryse turns on the Miz, she gets a match with the returning Brie Bella.

That also reminds me that Bayley was teasing on Twitter that she was going to show up and defend Renee

Like I would need more reasons to watch the show

Miz is the best.  He may not have the movez 4 u, but he knows his ring psychology and knows how to sell an angle and work a crowd. 

As much as I'd like to see him in the SD title hunt, I think he's found his niche being the ace of the mid card.  Someone needs to sell the importance of the IC Title and Miz does the championships are important to me schtick like no other.

So, Ellsworth is to SD what The Beautiful People used to be to TNA.  If you need someone to get over, stick 'em with the hot item.

1 hour ago, Brysynner said:

Bayley/Becky/Renee vs. Alexa/La Luchadora/Maryse - That sounds like a fine main event because I can't imagine Renee or Bayley turning on Becky. So this would be the first time she would have reliable partners

Becky would find a way to get turned on by those two or Becky would turn on Bayley again.

Anyone who is rooting for AJ in this feud is a heel. Or anyone who thinks AJ is the face is wrong. 

He is such an asswipe. Loved his reactions to Cena -- showing self-doubt and worry. And I loved how that led to the quick cheap shot the second Cena turned his head to the brash upstart. That is why heels should make cheap shots. Even with his success over Cena, AJ still needs to take shortcuts because he doesn't think he can win without them.

Awesome segment.

Miz is a Hall-of-Fame talent. This current run is the first time in years he has been trying to get himself over. Last time was probably when he feuded with Cena at WM. Since then, he has either been in tag teams or a face. He is so great and loved his pathetic breakdown on Talking Smack. Great ass-showing.

11 hours ago, Victator said:

I really think Bryan should have kicked Bryan in the face during the Dolph match.

I enjoyed seeing Maryse slap Renee Young. I really hope they do a old fashioned cat fight. I don't think anyone wants to see Maryse and Renee work holds for thirty minutes. 

The last thing Bryan needs is ANOTHER concussion, especially a self-administered one!

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Anyone who is rooting for AJ in this feud is a heel. Or anyone who thinks AJ is the face is wrong. 

I disagree.

What makes this feud/promo so good is that you can view the face/heel dynamics one of two ways

1) Cena is the face because Styles has cheated/shenaniganed his way to victories (Only overcame Ambrose due to Ellsworth interference; only beat Dolph after Corbin got involved in the angle; mostly beat Cena due to interference).  Cena is the returning hero, here to prove Styles wrong and that he's still the man.  He's the biggest star on SD still and Bryan putting him in the title match against Styles is a way to generate the most money/attention while giving Styles a chance to legitimize himself.

2) Styles is the face because Cena is spouting off about coming out there and wrestling every night because he loves it, but takes half a year off to do other shows, while Styles actually does wrestle all the time with no breaks. Cena stays popular because of little kids/merchandise, while Styles got to where he is because of his pure wrestling talent.  Kayfabe-wise, Cena lost to Styles, lost to Ambrose, lost the Triple Threat before leaving to film a TV show and gets put back into a World Title match without even a victory.  Really, what has he done (Again kayfabe-wise) to leapfrog Ambrose, Miz, Corbin, Ziggler etc. etc. and become the #1 contender.

And either way, it's basically correct.

• Like 2