DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is "Subtle" Pot Jokes - 10/17/16

Dolfan in NYC

Man, Raw just feels really, idk...disjointed. You have Chris Jericho doing some of the best work of his career, and then there's Seth Rollins just indy-ing up the main event with his general unwashed indy-ness. "Oh good, Captain Flippy-Do's here. Let's see what the baseball score is..."

New Day still kills it. Love those guys. The cruisers deserve better. I bet Sami Zayn can get an interesting story out of Stainfree, if not a 5* match...

Also, the one thing that makes me thing this Lesnar/Goldberg thing might be worth seeing is that they keep calling it a "fight." I think a street-fight style encounter between the two would be the way to go, because then you could hide Goldberg's weaknesses and craft a compelling situation that Goldberg has a plausible chance of winning...

I saw that opening graphic for the Lita interview and kept thinking, what does Nia Jax have to do with this?  Then I realized that was Lita.  Ease up on the Photoshop, dudes.

Speaking of fake tans, Jericho better find some friends to help him out in the locker room.  His shoulder was turkey leg brown and his back was uncooked chicken white.

Dana/Bayley was just sad to watch. Dana is a great second but is nowhere near ready for this feud.

I dug that they used Lita for the interview segment. Made the match feel important. 

And I called it before but it was even more evident now. The Cruisers are now to the show what the Divas were. 

I'm probably a horrible person for this(apologies in advance), but I was driven nuts by Goldberg's wife filming the thing with her phone. WWE would have provided them with all sorts of camera footage if they asked. I could understanding filming something if there's no other way to ever see it again (like, I suppose, a house show match), or if you have a really unique angle and want to give it a personal touch, but in this case, there was no utility to it, nothing gained, and a level of immersion lost, especially when your kid's next to you. It would have been different if she was mainly filming his reaction or whatever, but otherwise, hold the kid's hand and enjoy the moment with him without the phone. Come on, lady. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I don't get how Phil somehow has my parentheticals on ignore but can see the rest of my post. 

Oh I see them. It doesn't stop me from poking the bear

And I will just say this - it is quite possible one of the kids or Bill himself said "record this"

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I was a little disappointed that Goldberg wasn't more surprised by the Yes chant in a "What the hell is this? I haven't watched wrestling since I left." sort of way. 

I await a podcast where he talks about how the crowd was so excited for him, they just spontaneously started chanting "Yes!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caley said:

I don't get it.  Roman Reigns is a better promo (miles better), better wrestler (miles better), has a better look, and better matches than Seth Rollins, but the latter had to turn face because the crowd was cheering him as a heel, while the former has to wrestle heat-machines like Rusev to stay over.  Seriously, that Rollins promo was DREADFUL, he couldn't even get a wrestling audience to chant "Sparklecrotch".  How is he still talking like a whiny heel while he's supposed to be a face and the crowd is into it?  I seriously do not get it.

Saying Roman is a better promo than Rollins is not saying much. A better wrestler? Rollins style is suited for tag matches and not singles matches where he has to be continuously involved in the match and kind of has this hundred percent all the time mindset. Roman is bland and I am of the Steve Austin opinion on the guy that dude never really has great matches unless the other guy is really good. Case and point, the last Wrestlemainia with Triple H. Like as of right now, Roman is beneath the Miz in terms of in ring performance to me. Then there is the whole aspect of his character being face when he should be heel and his whole push that went to shit and...I don't know. I hate Rollins' worst tendencies. I hated it in ROH. I hated it in WSX. I hated his style of wrestling and I love spot monkeys so it is not me. I think people are rooting for Rollins because they want him to be face so bad that they don't care how where as Roman kind of was shoved in people's faces and WWE audience rejected it initially. When WWE kept insisting Roman, that is when it went to shit.

Adrian Neville, Sami Zayn, the Cruiserweights, and remaining Club members need to petition themselves to Smackdown because holy shit. You did not have Adrian Neville lose to Bo Dallas. I don't care if he is this mean character now. Dude looks like Golem. Sami Zayn is so underutilized. And the Cruiserweights? They are so much more than spotfests and they deserve more than this. They produced the best television the WWE had in years and we get this shit? I feel so bad for Anderson and Gallows who were given absolute bullshit material and was thrown underneath the bus splitting them up from AJ and Finn being hurt.I like Smackdown. I just wish it had more depth. I hate Raw because they have no story direction and it is reminds me of 2002-2005 Raw. Absolute shit show save for the Rock who appeared once in a blue moon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caley said:

I don't get it.  Roman Reigns is a better promo (miles better), better wrestler (miles better), has a better look, and better matches than Seth Rollins, but the latter had to turn face because the crowd was cheering him as a heel, while the former has to wrestle heat-machines like Rusev to stay over.  Seriously, that Rollins promo was DREADFUL, he couldn't even get a wrestling audience to chant "Sparklecrotch".  How is he still talking like a whiny heel while he's supposed to be a face and the crowd is into it?  I seriously do not get it.

Put it in perspective: Roman had an equally juvenile promo in December 2015 against Sheamus with the whole Tater Tots routine.  He recognized the audience's willingness to roll with it, so he kept at it and got a solid response. Same thing yesterday with the Ghostbusters quip that originally came from some in the crowd. Reigns put it into his promo and gave the audience a reason to stay involved.

Last night, the audience was about to give Rollins a chance with the corny lines, but he stepped all over the moment.  It showed a lack of awareness that would have gotten another wrestler crucified. That's not to say Reigns is the world's best on the mic, but at least he makes the effort to respond to the audience and keep them invested, even if it doesn't always work.

Jericho got Sparkle Crotch over more than Rollins.  Not surprising that, since Y2J has totally eclipsed both Rollins and Owens in this feud.  At this point, I wouldn't be a bit mad if they put the Universal title on Jericho for a few weeks so he could become King of the Universe.

ETA: I wouldn't say Vince has a John Cena/Roman Reigns fetish so much as he as a babyface template that he always follows, even if the guy in question doesn't fit said template.  Again, Rollins' promo last night was similar to stuff Reigns has done in the past.

Rusev is the heel because 1.) he's pretty sexist outside of the women in his immediate family and 2.) he's better than Owens in being a funny heel but retaining heat.  Ah, for the guy to have been born American instead of Bulgarian.  Vince would be looking to turn him in 6-9 months.

• Like 2

Rollins has more flippy floppy babyface offense, has the indy background, fits the Bryan mold better in superficial ways. Reigns fits the Cena mold better (in superficial ways but also in positive substantial ones), has a football background, has more of a power offense. It's not hard to understand. It's just hard to accept because it's frustrating. 

I can deal with most of the show, but that Bayley match was hot garbage.  It wasn't her fault either, it was just weird and the end was awkward as anything.  Dana should have found some way to get her foot on the ropes, but since she couldn't she should be blamed along with the agent who came up with that.  At least grab the tights or something, don't let it come to a clean pin if that's not how it's supposed to be.

As for the Cruserweights, as soon as that Network show is a thing get them the fuck off of Raw.  When they started there it was all "Holy shit, Cedric, Swann and others on Raw!!!!"  Now I'd rather they get away from it, and it's not their fault at all.  The rest of the show ranged from tolerable to good.

• Like 1