DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is "Subtle" Pot Jokes - 10/17/16

Dolfan in NYC

51 minutes ago, JCM said:

So a guy that was never known as a good promo takes 12 years off, and on day one of his return cuts a better baby face promo than the guys they have been pushing as their future baby face aces lol.

Over scripted vs shoot monologue.  Everything Goldberg said is actually how he felt and as such, came across beautifully.

• Like 1

As for the cruiserweights--why not use either Main Event or Superstars as the exclusive show for them and tape it like they always do before Raw?  That way, they're still technically part of the roster and they can show highlights during Raw to promote the division and network at the same time.

31 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That might make sense but they only exist as an entity to kill time on a three hour Raw post-brand split. 

And because HHH had to find another way to get himself over with the hardcore fanbase who grew up hating him.

It's really a pointless division and it becomes more and more clear every week. How much better would RAW be if you just mixed in Cedric Alexander, Rich Swann, Brian Kendrick, and TJ Perkins with the rest of the roster? You'd have so many more options for fresh matches every week.

6 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

And because HHH had to find another way to get himself over with the hardcore fanbase who grew up hating him.

It's really a pointless division and it becomes more and more clear every week. How much better would RAW be if you just mixed in Cedric Alexander, Rich Swann, Brian Kendrick, and TJ Perkins with the rest of the roster? You'd have so many more options for fresh matches every week.

If that was allowed they'd get ragdolled by Braun for a couple weeks.  I have zero faith in them doing that properly.  It's not a pointless division by any means, but for Raw it sure is.  I'm going to try and not be a broken record about it, but get them the fuck away from Raw and it'll improve.

10 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Braun Stroman vs Cedric Alexander

Braun Stroman vs Rich Swann

Braun Stroman vs Brian Kendrick

Braun Stroman vs TJ Perkins

Braun Stroman vs Cedric Alexander and Rich Swann

Yep, pretty good options for fresh matches.

• Like 4

Anyone know why Nia isn't still murdering jobbers like Strowman?

2 minutes ago, NickMD said:

If that was allowed they'd get ragdolled by Braun for a couple weeks.  I have zero faith in them doing that properly.  It's not a pointless division by any means, but for Raw it sure is.  I'm going to try and not be a broken record about it, but get them the fuck away from Raw and it'll improve.

It really unless they have their own show. SDL doesn't have time for them.

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I do think they see the value of a standalone Network CWC show. That's been part of their recent surveys on expanding the network (and its price) so it must have gotten viewers.

I think the yearly tournament format works for Network content. I'm not sure about a weekly show of just cruiserweights unless you're going to move NXT TV out of Full Sail. It becomes a bit too much of the same if you did both from there every week. Right now they're basically just using some of the Cruisers to pad out the NXT shows which isn't all that great of a plan either.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Anyone know why Nia isn't still murdering jobbers like Strowman?

I think Nia's doing the Kane spot at Hell In A Cell. She's going to rip the door off after the match and destroy Sasha in her hometown. They probably want her off TV so it'll feel like more of a surprise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I think we can call it now.

Everyone lost the Bayley bet

What was the bet exactly, that she'd do less in her first 90 days on RAW than American Alpha would do in their first SD season?

When you have garbage production you have garbage matches.  Just do what the foreign shows do and shoot some wide angle shots.  It is clear that the production team cannot handle fast-paced camera work so just do a wide angle shot letting everyone at home see what the fans do in the arena.

The Cruisers are getting the Strowman/Reigns push to the moon and they are not ready for it treatment.  The WWE wanted something to counter LU but outside of the tournament they have dropped the ball on every point.  If you are a top luchador and the WWE is calling to join; you look at the content on RAW and say to yourself, why bother?  The smartest guys in the CWC were the ones who turned down their deals waiting to see how they would be used.

The Cruisers are this IWC hotspot that hardcore fans like but mainstream fans do not understand.   

That one guy needs to drop the headlock as a submission hold.  It is not believable.  

Seth Freakin Rollins. That shirt was almost as bad as the sparkle crotch line to Jericho.

The hype during the show for Goldberg was a bit much and Cole calling him the greatest WCW champion of all time gave me a laugh but given their all but out of these nostalgic returns might as well push this one hardest. 

Shame he's being wasted in a rematch with Lesnar who is just terrible now on SS instead of a "dream match" with someone like Cena at WM. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zev said:

What was the bet exactly, that she'd do less in her first 90 days on RAW than American Alpha would do in their first SD season?

She clean pinned the champ - that makes her better than AA

1 hour ago, Charlie M. said:

I think Nia's doing the Kane spot at Hell In A Cell. She's going to rip the door off after the match and destroy Sasha in her hometown. They probably want her off TV so it'll feel like more of a surprise.

Beat ya to that in the HIAC thread. And yes, I actually want that to happen for some reason

• Like 1

It did make me a little sad that every clip they showed from Nitro and it's just a white hot fucking crowd going nuts and throwing trash and just completely invested and then we go back to RAW and it's mostly people sitting on their hands and I do not blame them. This show is on cruise control and I don't know why.

• Like 1

They are trying to turn RAW into this, I have no idea what to call it.

Mood lighting, changing ring ropes, light displays around the ring and on the corners.  In a year will they be selling ad space?  The entrance changes are nice but the ring area is now a big display piece.  I think the wrestlers are scared they might damage any of the new equipment.

2 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

That one guy needs to drop the headlock as a submission hold.  It is not believable.  

The crowd pops for it every time he does it, so I don't see what the problem is!?

I think the biggest problem with the cruiserweights is TJ Perkins is more of a good supporting cast cruiserweight who gets the occasional win than focal point.  He'd be much better as the Psicosis of the division, rather than the Mysterio.  Take last night, Kendrick is talking to Nese and Gulak, Perkins walks in and nothing, but when Alexander and Swann show up, the crowd pops big for those two.  In the match, itself, there were much bigger pops for Swann and Alexander's big moves than Perkins'.  

I think you put the title on Kendrick at HIAC, then have Alexander and Swann both chase the title while Kendrick finds ways to sneak out of it with the belt.  At survivor series, find a way to work the cruisers into the show (Do some sort of interpromotional dream match with the cruisers vs Kalisto/AA (which frees up a spot for whichever SD tag team would have otherwise been excluded from the show) then finally Foley announces a 3-way with them for WWE Roadblock in December where one of Swann or Alexander takes the belt, maybe then work somebody new in or turn Perkins or whatever.  I think a division with those two guys as lead faces works with the crowd and style they're going for miles better than what they're doing now.

It is the look of the move on camera.  When Rusev puts on his submission hold and pulls the head back it looks like he is twisting the spine.  

When the headlock is on he does nothing to sell the move other than a headlock.  You need to do something other than make it look like a headlock on camera.  There is no twisting of the back.  No involvement of the arms.  

2:20.  He has a headlock on.  What is he doing to sell me that this is some submission move that forces you to tap out?  It is a headlock/chinlock.  What is he doing with his feet?  Arching his back?

If a heavyweight put this on the move would be looked at as a transition/stall move.

When you are in a gym or warehouse and your partner is overselling it could look like a submission move.  However, when you are on camera for a national audience and the camera is doing a closeup the flaws in the move are on display.

4 hours ago, nate said:

If Rusev was 15 lbs, he should have saved his mom the trouble and just walked out.

If Mama Rusev was really in labor for three days, Rusev should  have definitely walked out.  For his own safety.  If my wife had been in labor for three days with one of our kids, I'd wager she'd have turned heel and shot the kid into outer space if it'd have gotten him or her out of her uterus 3 seconds quicker.

• Like 1

What are the chances the Cruisers get a 5 on 5 match at Survivor Series on the notion that since RAW has that extra hour, they not only get more draft picks, but more PPV time as well?