DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (2016-2017) THREAD

RIPPA

On 1/16/2017 at 10:31 PM, odessasteps said:

Morosi was on the show later and they said that rumor started in Pittsburgh.

Plus, if they resign Bautista, i doubt they have the payroll for McCutcheon too. 

I think Pittsburgh would love to get some value from McCutcheon before they let him go after 2017 or 2018.  He cratered pretty hard last year before perking up the last month or so.  Still, he's pretty attractive to teams given his $8.5m (approx) salary this year and $14.75m next year.

On Sunday, the sports world was shocked to find out that 25-year-old Kansas City Royals pitcher, Yordano Ventura, was pronounced dead after a fatal car accident in the Dominican Republic.

While there was no sign of alcohol, Ventura was not wearing his seat belt during the accident. Unfortunately, that was just the tip of the iceberg.

According to a report from ensegundos.dos, Ventura was found alive after the wreck but instead of being helped, he was robbed of his belongings, including his Kansas City Royals World Series ring.

Un f'n real.

• Like 1

Sadly, in the DR, that could probably happen in a lot of places. Such a poor nation. Same can happen in the US, just more scattered. I've only heard of something like that happening in TV or a movie.

Well this is fucking terrifying

Atlanta Braves infielder Sean Rodriguez and his family were in a serious car crash involving a stolen police cruiser around 1:45 pm on Saturday in Miami.

Some outlets are reporting that the SUV carrying 31-year-old Rodriguez—who signed a two-year deal to play second for the Braves this offseason—his wife Giselle, and their two children was T-boned by the stolen police car. But according to a release put out by the Miami-Dade PD, it seems that the driver of the police cruiser lost control of the car while fleeing the scene where he stole the vehicle, sideswiped a third car, and was then T-boned by the black Suburban carrying the Rodriguez family.

The police cruiser burst into flames upon impact, and the driver died at the scene. Rodriguez and the driver of the third car were treated for minor injuries and released at the scene. His wife and two children, however, were transported to nearby hospitals. On Sunday night, Giselle was listed in fair condition, and the children, 2 and 8 years old, were in serious but stable condition.

Deadspin story includes a video of the aftermath

http://deadspin.com/sean-rodriguezs-family-hospitalized-after-a-deadly-cras-1791777426

Real sad news I just read: former Met Anthony Young has been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He was one of the most unlucky players in history, losing 27 straight decisions despite not pitching nearly as bad as that would indicate (he pitched for a team famously dubbed "The Worst Team Money Could Buy"). I still remember the game he broke the streak: he gave up an unearned run in the top of the 10th and looked like he would suffer another hard luck loss. But the Mets rallied and won the game with a two run double (IIRC it was by Eddie Murray) and I remember going crazy watching on tv.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I guess they couldn't find anyone to sponsor the dump any longer? Or is it one of the bogus, name the stadium one thing and the field the other? Anyway, it probably should be named for Charlie FInley, but oh well....

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I presume its the field, not the stadium , like how most stadiums have their broadcast booth dedicated to a former announcer (Kalas, Enberg,). I think the yankees press box might be nmed for bob shepherd (sp).

And Bill King's name is, in fact, already on the A's broadcast booth