DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (2016-2017) THREAD

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Speaking as someone who has watched a lot of Jason Hammel, he will be OK to good for maybe half a season until he spends the rest of the season trying to fix whatever happened. You also don't want him pitching in a park like Yankees Stadium.

Hammel is usually a good waiver wire pick up in fantasy, especially in two start weeks.

I would be all about that Hill deal if it were structured like the Kenta Maeda deal, all incentives and a low base. I loved what Hill did for the Dodgers, he was fucking nails, but $48MM for a 36 year old guy gives me pretty serious pause. That being said, I am all in on whatever the fuck Friedman/Zaidi's plan for this club is, and so I will reserve judgment on this until it goes way south.

That Melancon deal with SFG is for some pretty stout money, and it's probably going to get smoked by whatever Jansen and Chapman end up getting, but I saw today that Chapman is asking for 6 years, so that could spook off some potential suitors. I saw an article today that had sources saying MIA was going to offer Jansen 4 / $80MM. As ludicrous as it sounds, I don't think that is the outlandish overpay that it looks like at first glance. Jansen is a monster, it's going to break my heart if he lands anyplace other than LA, but with the Melancon signing, at least I'm pretty sure now it won't be SFG, which absolutely terrified me.

Tuesday morning at the Winter Meetings kicked off with some action, as the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a trade that will net them right-handed setup man Tyler Thornburg from the Brewers in exchange for third baseman Travis Shaw, minor league shortstop Mauricio Dubon and minor league right-hander Josh Pennington.

• Like 1

RE: The Brewers, we do need a third baseman, but I'm not sure what they're going to do with Villar/Gennett at second base. I guess Gennett's going to be bench-warming a lot. They could try and stick him out in short left and pretend you're allowed ten men on the field as a rover.

BBWAA votes to make all HOF ballots public, effective with the 2018 induction. That's super dope. I realize that the majority of the voters are already releasing their ballots, but I have a special "fuck you" for the 140 or so that don't.

• Like 1

So does every other franchise and most of them are now spending at least something plausible for their marketplace. I said most. Not all. Some crater out to nothing then build back up, like the Astros. Some just are cheap as they can be at all times. And then some attempt to literally buy a trophy like the Dodgers and will keep spending until they win one, god dammit. 500 million dollar payroll coming soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Oh, and the Cubs traded Jorge Soler to the Royals for Wade Davis... I think.

Bob Nightengale says the deal is done pending physicals

The Marlins signed AJ Ellis and Jeff Locke.  I'm reading they essentially are looking for bargain basement scrap with some potential, sticking it in front of a world-class defense and hoping he wins 12-15. 

This seems like the definition of Locke.  I'm expecting him to be DFA'ed by June 15. 

Also, Loria has greenlit the front office spending actual $$ to get a top-tier closer.  They're 'one of the finalists' for Chapman or Jansen (with the Yanks, Nats, and Dodgers).  Apparently Chapman has a $92M offer also, but it's not believed to be from NY or Miami.