DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (2016-2017) THREAD

RIPPA

Per Ken Rosenthal - MLB and the MLBPA are discussing expanding the active rosters to 26 players. That would be from April - August

The Sept active roster would drop to 28

And the purpose of dropping the September active roster is what? To not have to start the clock on young guys service time or to not have to pay them part of a major league salary?

MLB reasoning is to shorten Sept games. Also to address the disparity of some teams playing all rookies while some teams are still battling for playoff spots.

Hardball talk was claiming if you do the math - the guys who will now earn service time during the April-Aug period is virtually the same as just earning it in Sept and that is why MLBPA is willing to go along with it

The other argument I have heard is for those AAA team cities who were having their rosters gutted at the end of the season (especially if the team was in the playoffs)

The playoffs all run through the middle of the month (basically they all end on like the 17, 18 or 19 - at least for AA and AAA)

Funnily - Scranton won for the Yanks and Trenton lost in the Championships thanks to all the guys they got in trades this year. (that is how I was more aware of the playoffs this time)

10 years, 300 million for Chapman from, um, Tampa, 290 million in year ten. Vesting Options every year, needs 100 games played per season. Ultimate contract.

Al Yellon, professional dipshit and idiotic Cubs blogger, put out a book about the Cubs winning it all a couple days after the team won the WS. He denies this being a cash-in of any sort, but it's clear he had this piece of shit in the can and waiting to go. Even despite likely sitting on this thing for so long, he couldn't bother to fix any run-on or broken sentences, or even properly use a semi-colon. I mean, he begins the fucking book with "Most of all, this is a love story." HOW THE FUCK DO YOU BEGIN A BOOK LIKE THAT? How, HOW is that your first sentence and I use the word "sentence" extremely loosely. 

If you'd like to know for yourself how shitty this is, then you don't even need to buy it, because the dumbass made nearly the whole book readable on Amazon. It's also getting savaged in the reviews section. https://www.amazon.com/Season-Ages-Chicago-Brought-Championship-ebook/dp/B01NA6KXA0/ref=cm_rdp_product

I hate the fans of the team I love.

So, what you're saying is they're getting locked out since nearly a third of the league is Hispanic/Latino/Whatever term you want to use. Factor in all the minor league and instructional and international crap and I assume it jumps up a lot. I wonder if perception is skewed by how many relievers are white guys seemingly. It may not be that many, but it seems most middle relief is until you actually look at rosters.

25-­‐Man  Major  League  rosters
• 2016  Opening  Day,  the  number  of  players  from  the  25-­‐Man  Major  League  rosters  who  identified
themselves  as  African-­‐American  or  Black  was  approximately  8.3  percent,  the  exact  same
percentage  as  active  Opening  Day  rosters  in  2015.
• The  percentage  of  Latino  players  decreased  from  29.3  percent  in  2015  to  28.5  on  2016  opening
day  rosters.
• The  percentage  of  Asian  players  increased  from  1.2  percent  in  2015  to  1.7  percent  in  2016.
• The  percentage  of  white  players  increased  from  58.8  percent  in  2015  to  59.07  percent  in  2016.

Well technically there is no international draft to get rid of - just talk that MLB wants to start one.

And as pointed out - this could just be the union making noise so they can cave on this issue so they can get what they want on something else (specifically getting rid of the QO)

And there is no hard THE LOCKOUT STARTS DEC 1!!!! That is just when the current CBA runs out. The owners then have the option to lock the players out.

I am normally a big doom and gloomer but the rhetoric that has suddenly popped up around this negotiation says to me that everyone is really bored