DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (2016-2017) THREAD

RIPPA

The deal

The Phillies have officially struck a deal to acquire righty Clay Buchholz from the Red Sox, as Jon Heyman of Fan Rag first reported (via Twitter). Second baseman Josh Tobias will be the piece going to Boston in the swap, in which Philadelphia will pick up all the remaining obligations to Buchholz, as Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer was first to report (via Twitter). Philadelphia designated just-acquired third baseman Richie Shaffer for assignment to clear roster space.

Jeffrey Loria is apparently despondent about getting told to fuck off by every free agent and is according to the Miami Herald, willing to listen to offers for the Marlins.  

His price tag is $1.7 billion.  Yes, with a b.

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jeffrey Loria is apparently despondent about getting told to fuck off by every free agent and is according to the Miami Herald, willing to listen to offers for the Marlins.  

His price tag is $1.7 billion.  Yes, with a b.

To be fair - Ed and I were talking about this last week

The Mariners got 1.4 billion in 2014 (Granted it included majority ownership in the regional sports network)

The Padres got $800 million in 2012

So a team with a new stadium in Miami can easily get a billion even before redoing their shitty TV deal

• 3 weeks later...

CNN just pointed out that Obama ending the policy of automatically  granting asylum to Cubans who sneak into the U.S. via land routes is going to severely affect MLB, as Cuban players will now have to prove they were political dissidents facing human rights abuses in Cuba, or else they'll get shipped back.

8 hours ago, elizium said:

I am conflicted about this. On one hand, I love Joey Bats, on the other, he's kind of old and broken.

Kind of like how I feel but people around here were getting pissed that neither he or Edwin would be coming back now they seem to be excited about this.  When he's on the DL in May then lets hear what they say.  I'm indifferent.  The Jays need to retool and reload.  They weren't winning with those guys but they also need some kind of warm body for the outfirld.

1 hour ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Last guy to listen to as far as rumours go in Toronto.  The new regime never makes a deal like that

Morosi was on the show later and they said that rumor started in Pittsburgh.

Plus, if they resign Bautista, i doubt they have the payroll for McCutcheon too. 

He's flipping back!

Per TSN #MLB Insider Steve Phillips: Bautista gets $18M in 2017. Could get up to $60M over 3 years with options/incentives.

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Morosi was on the show later and they said that rumor started in Pittsburgh.

That rumour came from here - http://rumbunter.com/2017/01/16/pittsburgh-pirates-toronto-blue-jays-discussed-mega-deal/

This source also told us of a ‘mega deal’ that was discussed between the two teams earlier this offseason. According to this source, the Blue Jays have tried to talk to the Pirates about a trade for both Andrew McCutchen and Tony Watson.

The Blue Jays offered the Pirates a package of both prospects and Major League talent. Relief pitcher Joe Biagini was the only Major League player offered to the Pirates in the deal. Third base prospect Valdimir Guerrero Jr., pitching prospect Sean Reid-Foley, and first base prospect Rowdy Tellez. Additionally, the Blue Jays also offered old friend Harold Ramirez in these talks. Guerrero Jr., Reid-Foley, and Tellez are three of Toronto’s top nine prospects.