DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (2016-2017) THREAD

RIPPA

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Why do you hate my post's - especially when they reference you?

Sorry, Lord Rippa, I jumped to the most recent page thinking I'd read the previous one. How shall I be punished?

Can Lester throw to second or third if need be? Mysteries abound. Trading draft picks is a genius idea, I turn that on in OOTP all the time. How else can I trade my top five picks for Mike Trout?

8 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Sorry, Lord Rippa, I jumped to the most recent page thinking I'd read the previous one. How shall I be punished?

You live in Wisconsin - what could I possibly do to you that is worse?

• Like 1

One interesting thing change I saw when reading through

Following election of players by fans, the Commissioner’s Office will select seven players from the National League (4 pitchers) and five players from the American League (4 pitchers) to participate in the All-Star Game. Such selections will replace the selections awarded to the managers of the American and National League teams in the prior agreement.

So no more managers stuffing rosters with their own guys and the Commissioner's Office will be making sure "stars" are there

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

One interesting thing change I saw when reading through

So no more managers stuffing rosters with their own guys and the Commissioner's Office will be making sure "stars" are there

Or more FAN VOTING!!!!  Wheeeee!

You would think so after Royals fans have been stuffing the ballot boxes the last couple of years, as well.

But this is MLB.  Never err on the side of common sense.

And now Rippa and I are dying because...

Infielder Brett Lawrie will earn $3.5MM next year for the White Sox, per Heyman (on Twitter). That’s well shy of MLBTR’s $5.1MM projection — which was predicated upon Lawrie’s $4.125MM salary from a season ago. It’s highly unusual for players to receive pay cuts in arbitration, least of all when they are coming off of seasons in which they play a reasonable amount (384 plate appearances, in his case) and put up non-trivial numbers at the plate (a roughly league-average .248/.310/.413 batting line with a dozen home runs).

That's right.  Lawrie took a paycut to avoid arbitration...to stay with the White Sox.

Now, trade for Ichiro, sign Uehara, pick up Randy Choate and Joel Peralta and Jason Grilli as well if they haven't all retired yet. Jose Contreras is still active in Mexico, pick him up too.

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

After Beltran last year, Yanks decided to go younger at DH/RF this year

Holliday isn't going to see any time in RF. Aaron Judge is getting every opportunity to win the RF job. If anything, Holliday will back up at first, but his job is the primary DH.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:29 AM, RIPPA said:

Dodgers apparently are going to re-sign Rich Hill (depends on the source on whether deal is done yet or not)

It looks like Hill back to LA is done. 3 yrs/48 mil. I would have liked the Yankees to go after Hill, but not for three years. I feel like the wheels will fall off soon for Hill. I want the Yankees to go after Chapman or Kenley Jansen, whomever ends up costing less, and Jason Hammel. Hammel would be a good fit in the middle of the rotation for a year or two to buy some time for the young arms to develop.

Speaking as someone who has watched a lot of Jason Hammel, he will be OK to good for maybe half a season until he spends the rest of the season trying to fix whatever happened. You also don't want him pitching in a park like Yankees Stadium.