DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (2016-2017) THREAD

RIPPA

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dodgers trade Carlos Ruiz to Mariners for MYSTERY PITCHER~!

Well it turned out to be Vidal Nuno but it was more entertaining when the story said mystery pitcher

I like that deal, since it opens the door for Austin Barnes to be the backup catcher, or by some weird turn that spot goes to Jack Murphy. I think the upside on Barnes is higher, since he has also proven to be a pretty reliable 2B and can play 3rd or an OF position if absolutely necessary. Murphy isn't much of a hitter, but he's been very good defensively for OKC.

And the weird acquisition of random pitchers begins for LAD!!

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dodgers trade Carlos Ruiz to Mariners for MYSTERY PITCHER~!

Well it turned out to be Vidal Nuno but it was more entertaining when the story said mystery pitcher

Thank god, I was afraid the Mariners wouldn't have an aging, overpriced veteran catcher to hit .210 for this year

• Like 1

Ten players got QO

Mark Trumbo, Orioles
Jeremy Hellickson, Phillies
Yoenis Cespedes, Mets
Neil Walker, Mets
Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays
Jose Bautista, Blue Jays
Ian Desmond, Rangers
Dexter Fowler, Cubs
Kenley Jansen, Dodgers
Justin Turner, Dodgers

22 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Thank god, I was afraid the Mariners wouldn't have an aging, overpriced veteran catcher to hit .210 for this year

Aging I agree with, but overpriced is a matter of opinion. $4.5MM for a solid veteran hand as a backup C in a spot where the other options are Jesus Sucre or Tyler Marlette (who hasn't played a game in the Bigs yet). Ruiz is basically the same price as Chris Iannetta, and better on both sides of the ball.

I figured it'd be posted already, but since it hasn't been, here are the Gold Glove winners:

American League

C: Salvador Perez, Royals
1B: Mitch Moreland, Rangers 
2B: Ian Kinsler, Tigers
3B: Adrian Beltre, Rangers
SS: Francisco Lindor, Indians 
LF: Brett Gardner, Yankees
CF: Kevin Kiermaier, Rays
RF: Mookie Betts, Red Sox
P: Dallas Keuchel, Astros

National League

C: Buster Posey, Giants
1B: Anthony Rizzo, Cubs 
2B: Joe Panik, Giants 
3B: Nolan Arenado, Rockies
SS: Brandon Crawford, Giants
LF: Starling Marte, Pirates
CF: Ender Inciarte, Braves 
RF: Jason Heyward, Cubs 
P: Zack Greinke, D-backs

I was kinda surprised to learn that this was Posey's first Gold Glove.

10 minutes ago, Kyle Casey said:

I was kinda surprised to learn that this was Posey's first Gold Glove.

Not really when you remember they were just automatically given to Yadier Molina for 8 straight years

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

RA Dickey signs 1 year deal (with 2nd as a club option) with the Atlanta Braves

I hope he does well against everyone except the Mets. Still remember Steve Sommers on WFAN mocking him when we signed him (remember this is when the Wilponzis were in full bargain basement/only dumpster diving for free agents mode) and he ends up being our best player and won the Cy Young in 2012. Will always root for him.

Yeah, his time with the Blue Jays didn't quite go that great (though he was a decent hand to have around), but he was still a favourite. Hopefully the weather in Atlanta is good for the knuckler and he can have a couple decent years to wrap up his career.

Unless he didn't want to come back this is a terrible job by the Wilponzis. You KNOW at least one of those pitchers coming back next year is going to reinjure themselves, Bartolo was great insurance to have. Only way I'm not irritated by this is if the money is put towards bringing back Cespedes.