DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is a continuing testimony to The Miz's greatness

The Comedian

I will say that salty old John Cena who's gone full transparency and admits that he's 21st Century Hogan and all the regulars in the locker room are insects to him is a lot more interesting than "Rah Rah Hustle Loyalty Respect Overcome Hate etc." Cena...

Like, it's the closest thing to the "John Cena heel turn" that you're actually going to get...

17 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

He's "21st century Hogan" after cleanly putting over the other two guys in the feud?

GTFOOH with that...

I don't know. Surprise roll-up pins are the new disqualification to me. Sure, Dean beat him, but was it because John was knocked out or John forgot to kick out because he was thinking about how annoying Daniel is to live with. But you are right. I can't think of a Hogan match that had him lose by a surprise roll-up or cleanly. Even as a heel.

21 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

I don't know. Surprise roll-up pins are the new disqualification to me. Sure, Dean beat him, but was it because John was knocked out or John forgot to kick out because he was thinking about how annoying Daniel is to live with. But you are right. I can't think of a Hogan match that had him lose by a surprise roll-up or cleanly. Even as a heel.

Um...  Warrior, Luger, Goldberg, Rock,  Rougeau (House show, but still), Triple H, Angle, Brock (cleanish), 

17 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Um...  Warrior, Luger, Goldberg, Rock,  Rougeau (House show, but still), Triple H, Angle, Brock (cleanish), 

I misspoke, but you are correct. I was thinking along the lines of guys that are struggling or being billed as the face of the company. You can argue Benoit and maybe Brock(I don't know who the fuck Rougeau is). You arguably could not put Dean Ambrose in the same place as most of those guys, could you? Hulk Hogan did not lose to Ricky Steamboat or Jimmy Snuka. John Cena lost clean to AJ Styles, Kevin Owens, and Dean Ambrose. I can't compare him to Hogan.

3 minutes ago, Sin Carne said:

John Cena eats pitfalls; it's a different era. But he rarely sells his losses.

This is true however. John Cena does this thing where he just raises the bar and undermines a victory over him. Hulk Hogan definitely put over the guys that beat him...even if those guys did not need the rub.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

So Career vs Title pretty much telegraphs Ziggler winning right? I mean it's a good redemption story and dastardly heel Miz is going to need his comeuppance eventually. But on the other hand Dolph is super stale and if he just went away for a while and focused on making a career out of stealing other people's jokes I'd be okay with that too. Or, third option: Ziggler loses and comes back under a mask. It's been a while since we've had a good Charlie Brown from outta town plot.

I'm assuming (hoping) Ziggler loses and his "Smackdown career" is over.  Bryan/Shane then trade dead-to-them Ziggler for someone to come in and beat Miz.

Most likely Miz will lose the title and then be the next WWE Championship (or whatever the fuck they are calling it) challenger

And Ziggler will be having title matches against fucking Baron Corbin again

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Most likely Miz will lose the title and then be the next WWE Championship (or whatever the fuck they are calling it) challenger

They've rehabbed Miz to the point where that sounds like a good idea. They do something like that twice more and the Vatican will have to be notified.

• Like 4

I used to like Dolph and even was a fan of his.  But if Miz wins then I say that he should just automatically win March Madness.  Everybody else will be in a tournament for second place.

And that video fucking ruled.  The guy has had this career renaissance that is impossible to ignore.  If I'm Ryder I'd feel good knowing that by losing the way he did it started one of the more compelling IC runs in quite some time.

I'm assuming (hoping) Ziggler loses and his "Smackdown career" is over.  Bryan/Shane then trade dead-to-them Ziggler for someone to come in and beat Miz.

Nope.  Miz made sure of this.  He said in the promo (paraphrasing: "Your WWE career is over.   You don't just go to Raw, don't take a 30-day sabbatical.  You're done."

So, logically, Miz losing makes the most sense.  BUT, WWE also likes to swerve "obvious" booking, so I wouldn't be shocked if Miz wins, retains the title.  Dolph retires and becomes an interviewer/announcers, until Miz goads him into attacking him and Bryan grants him one more match to revive his career, finally take the title off Miz.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with Miz going for the WWE title is that it almost necessitates AJ losing it, which is most certainly a bad thing. I loved that promo, but I can't help but think they've booked themselves into a corner with the stipulation. Miz has such a good rub to give right now, it would be a shame to waste it on Ziggler who's already as made as he's ever gonna be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NickMD said:

If I'm Ryder I'd feel good knowing that by losing the way he did it started one of the more compelling IC runs in quite some time.

Well I'll say this much, this is probably the most I've cared about the IC Title since 1998 when Rock and Triple H were feuding over it and it was still seen as a gateway to the World Title. A year later they pretty much made it a mid card gimmick title giving it to guys like Godfather and Billy Gunn. Even when Angle and Jericho and Benoit were trading it, it just didn't seem the same, like it was just something to tide them over. Miz has done an excellent job of making the IC Title seem important again.

Actually now that I think about it, there's another level of irony there that they could use to further the Miz/Bryan feud; Miz has succeeded at restoring prestige to the IC Championship this year, something Bryan was set to do last year before the abrupt end to his career.

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The biggest problem with Miz going for the WWE title is that it almost necessitates AJ losing it, which is most certainly a bad thing. I loved that promo, but I can't help but think they've booked themselves into a corner with the stipulation. Miz has such a good rub to give right now, it would be a shame to waste it on Ziggler who's already as made as he's ever gonna be.

Styles would have to turn face also, which, I don't know, just feels unlikely at this point. Cena, Ambrose, and Orton are all (at least nominally) faces, with only... Bray(?) and Miz as main event adjacent heels. Of course there's the possibility of call ups and acquisitions from Raw, but at least as the roster stands now, I think a heel Styles is the best bet to carry the belt forward.

5 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Actually now that I think about it, there's another level of irony there that they could use to further the Miz/Bryan feud; Miz has succeeded at restoring prestige to the IC Championship this year, something Bryan was set to do last year before the abrupt end to his career.

I think Miz said something like that in his Talking Smack promo.  Something like Daniel promised to bring prestige back to the title but he lied.   I think AJ works as a face with some reshuffling. I don't think Orton fits in on SD! right now. Something feels off. 

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know it's just the WWE HoF and not a real HoF, but Jacques Rougeau, and the Rougeau family are long overdue. 

I think KO needs his own personal security team on Raw, comprised of Jacques and Pierre. 

Rollins brings back J&J Security. Owens counters with the Quebecers. Rollins insists on a 6 man match. Owens says fine but one of the Rogeaus is retired so his "nephew" will take his place. Out comes Bobby Roode.

Go.

• Like 2