DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is Meet the Slaters!

Rev Ray

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Dolph Ziggler looking like he's auditioning to be the front man of a 2003 indie band wearing slacks, Chucks, a skinny tie, and a hoodie like that.

It is an upgrade from "Director of Merchandising for a band Strong Bad would listen to".

• Like 1

Indie bands in 2003 >>>>>>>> Dolph Ziggler 2016

Deep Cuts? Chutes Too Narrow? Fever to Tell? Young Liars? Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, Hearts of Oak, Here Comes the Indian, Monday at the Hug and Pint?

Fuck off with all that. Dolph Ziggler is no Is This It, much less that second Strokes album. I think you meant 2004 emo band.

Anyway, the tag booking on this was genius, as you all have said. Dean/AJ is more entertaining and intriguing than anything in Raw.

You can tell the Usos have probably been pushing for a heel turn for a while because they looked so natural and effortlessly heelish out there.  Their Richard Shermanesque promo with Renne getting all nervous was good, too, even if they called them the Alpha Males.

Very enjoyable SDL as it feels like consistently the better show. I love the women's division here as it has so much more going on than Raw. Naomi's entrance is the best and gets better every week. I'm liking Carmella and Alexa a lot as the new girls. Didn't expect to be a Carmella fan but she's won me over. The six woman tag was good stuff with everyone looking solid. Nikki's TKO was a great near fall and Carmella gets another big finish, that submission rules. Guessing Nikki wins the title but the whole division is intriguing.

Thought Miz/Crews was pretty good as well. I feel like Crews is getting better on the main roster. Looking forward to Miz/Ziggler. Feels like a match neither guy can lose. Usos turn was well done. American Alpha winning in 30 seconds was unexpected. the Usos seems more vicious already just on the one attack so far. They were on fire 2 years ago so I hope the heel turn does them well.

Really liked Orton's little promo as something different. Understated, simple and well delivered. Solid build to Orton/Wyatt which I feel could be better than it seems on paper. Not usually excited for Wyatt matches but this one feels like it could be a sleeper hit. Glad to see Rhyno involved in something so over. Ambrose/Styles should be really good but doesn't seem like it has the big fight feel yet since they've been feuding only a couple weeks or so. I think Backlash is stacked for a split brand show, hope it delivers.

• Like 1

Some other things worth mentioning. 

Alexa's bitchy expressions are the best, she interacts well with the crowd and all of the other women. She's coming along nicely. She was getting good in NXT too.

I really liked an Uso shaking one member of the team's hand while simultaneously kicking the other dude's head off.  That was sweet. 

I think on WWE.com they mentioned Alpha are now out of the tournament so that's cool, they get to go on a longer chase now. Well done there.

The Miz having Maryse go get the title for him and then both of them being smug as fuck about it.  I love them.

• Like 2

I am at a loss as to why all of Slater's kids except the last one have more physical charisma and believability than half of the roster.

This show is so much easier to watch than Raw and with MNF starting I am a Tuesday night wrestling fan. I will leave it up to you all to let me know what to seek out from Monday nights.

Roman, Cena, take note.  If you are getting booed, embrace the hate.  The Uso heel turn was fucking awesome.

I think the impact of Heath Slater "My Dad Is A Pro Wrestler" is felt far more in magnitude because the shittyness of 3MB, The Corre, and the Social Outcasts is still fresh in our minds.  There was no place to go but up, but Slater is headed to the stratosphere with rockets on his ankles. 

Nothing highlights good booking quite like really bad booking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Very enjoyable SDL as it feels like consistently the better show. I love the women's division here as it has so much more going on than Raw. Naomi's entrance is the best and gets better every week. I'm liking Carmella and Alexa a lot as the new girls. Didn't expect to be a Carmella fan but she's won me over. The six woman tag was good stuff with everyone looking solid. Nikki's TKO was a great near fall and Carmella gets another big finish, that submission rules. Guessing Nikki wins the title but the whole division is intriguing.

I am digging the SDL women's roster as well. It reminds me of the early Knockouts Division, where every woman had a clear, defined, and different look/persona. And each wrestler is pretty much hitting their marks with the character stuff.

Carmella was just made to be a heel and I agree that the submission win worked well, especially with Nikki's neck injury history. I'm looking forward to the 6 pack challenge. I think it has the chance to be the sleeper match. 

• Like 1

-Mauro dropping a Misawa reference with regards to Nikki's forearm shots was awesome. I know he can seem a little forced at times, piling up alliterations and allusions that confuse more than contribute, but I enjoy the enthusiasm, and the sense that this wrestling exists in a broader world of it. Overall, they've done a great job with the women's division. Everyone is unique and important, and this after an opening week of just... here we are!... some entrances!... it's amazing how quickly they've accomplished this.  

-The Usos seem excited. It'll be funny to see, if they really do own the heel role like it appears they will, how quickly the crowd starts cheering the work. Of course, beating Slater in the finals would get booed, and I think that's what will happen. (I think Slater gets hired anyway, though. Bryan could actually act like a face!)

-I do wonder how sustainable the Slater heat is. It's not so long ago that Mizdow was getting the best reactions on a given night, and they couldn't carry that forward. 

-Orton's aging really well, and I'll be the last person alive who actually finds Wyatt's shtick amusing; so I enjoyed their build, such as it was, and am looking forward to the match. In part because I hope this is where we get Luke Harper back, admittedly. 

-The problem with any Miz/Ziggler build is that you have to watch both of them wrestle eventually, and I never really need to do that again, separate or together. 

-I suspect we get a dirty finish to Styles/Ambrose, teasing out AJ's win for a bit. I don't mind that, but Styles is so good right now, it just feels like he should be champion already. 

I continue to be in awe of how tight Rhino's "straight man" game is.  His delivery of the "I don't like kids" line was so good.

They could seriously make Becky Sue*'s "quest for a tongue" the most inspirational tragedy-to-triumph story of the year, if they played it right.  Granted, nothing WWE has shown me since 1998 to 2001ish, forward, inspires me with much faith that this will be handled appropriately.

*name may or may not be correct

So happy Slater is getting this push. He's been a really good goober comedy jobber for years now. He has really given everything he's been offered full commitment. I love that his character has such earnestness in wanting to provide for his family. That's the ultimate in babyface motivation. But he's also so completely oblivious at the same time. And his family is, of course, a collection of completely ridiculous people who, like their dad, play the line of earnestness and naivete perfectly. Rhyno along for the ride for no real reason whatsoever but playing it straight (while fending off the flirtations of Mrs. Slater) is perfect.

I don't expect him to end up as a World Champion or anything like that. But I think Slater getting a fun segment every few shows is a perfectly fine position for him. He has really benefited from the split roster since he has time to work his magic.

• Like 2

I'm gonna hate it when he becomes Just Another Guy, but the Slater stuff is just aces. The sullen teen who kicked Slater played her part to perfection, as did the one who needs a tongue. Just Grade A Professional Wrestling Comic Relief right there. Give the man a WWE Network show.

He has Game Night on Youtube. It's very good if you haven't seen it.

I think Usos beat Slater and Rhyno and they go one of two ways. Either Slater is distraught and Daniel Bryan comes out to give him a contract anyway. OR Slater is distraught, turns on Rhyno and they continue the free agent storyline.

I'd like to see Bryan give Slater a contract and have him go after Miz for the IC Title. Maybe he wins it in a few months and the success starts going to Heath's head. He starts ignoring his wife and kids. Maybe he gets caught trying to create an All Red Power Couple with Eva Marie. The possibilities are endless.

I could see Bryan giving Slater a contract so his daughter gets that tongue she so desperately needs. Or the WWE could give him one after a fan-petition campaign.

I figure Jordan will get his revenge on the Usos either in their semifinal match or in the finals against Slater and Rhyno and Slater and Rhyno win the tag titles. American Alpha can feud with the Usos with no titles at stake for a bit, just a revenge feud, while the tag titles make the Slater and Rhyno vs. the rest of the division matches seem more important.

Bray Wyatt cut a chilling promo last night.   The stuff about the only thing remaining of Randy Orton being chunks of meat on the teeth of the Eater of Worlds was fucking awesome.  Orton also put in some decent mic work.

So why is it I give zero shits about their match at Backlash?  Probably because I know that all of this great talk will result in a match containing the same old spots.  If Bray Wyatt wants to impress me, he needs to follow through on this verbal violence party with some actual savagery in the ring.

A Heath Slater fake reality show with his fake kids will keep WWE Network in the house budget.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Orton fight Bray at the Wyatt compound but this time film it so we can see what's happening and without all the quick cuts BS.  I kind of want to see them fight in a Last Man Standing match but this feud needs some legs, maybe a no contest here if not give Wyatt a win.  Orton doesn't need the win as badly but coming off Brock, I can see him getting it

I remember a few weeks ago people were saying that Smackdown got screwed on the draft and I pointed out that everybody had sad that every year in the previous brand split era, and every year Smackdown proved to be the better show. Well.........

tumblr_n7ytemsldw1tfa8pto1_400.gif

(Raw has actually been pretty good too, but that doesn't really affect my basic point)