DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

My Sister paid for me and Dad to see WWE’s return to the UK in November before the WWE Draft announcement saying the roster split was back. Looking at the WWE roster division and the first shows since, I was hoping for RAW as it has favourites of mine in Cesaro, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Rusev and Sasha Banks.

I went on wwe.com to see if WWE Live was updated with details, it has and the show I’m going to gets…RAW! Touch wood I’ll get to see Sasha Banks for the first time, wanted to since she came up to the main roster in July 2015 but she was at different shows to mine. The other show same time as mine/my Dad’s is Smackdown Live. I hope this doesn’t get switched around, nobody gets injured and there are no new additions to the Smackdown Live roster I’d have liked to see. Good job I got to see AJ Styles at the last show.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

You hear interviews with people sometime who say that they go back and watch a lot of Hogan and see how he manipulates the crowds. (Same with Dusty).

Nowhere is this more apparent than WM18, I watched it last month and though the crowd are nuclear he has them in the palm of his hand and completely uses it to turn them. Wouldn't surprise me if the nWo run in etc was an audible as a result and I'm pretty sure is the reason Austin didn't want the match with him as he knew it would happen.

Back to the Shamrock thing, I guess you've also gotta look back at the time - while his credentials were a big part of his aura, UFC was nowhere near as big as it is now and there was zero cross over so in comparison to Brock it's a drop in the ocean

Stephanie talking about integration of lgbtq into wwe again makes me question...what positives has this woman actually done for the company and is she just totally ignorant to the audience who watches the show? Never mind the company's history of said subject.

Just so people know what DTTW is talking about

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/wwe-plans-integrate-lgbt-characters-programming-n627411

McMahon told NBC OUT her organization is committed to inclusive storytelling going forward.

"We will integrate LGBT characters into our programming ... and I do think there will be an opportunity to integrate some of those storylines in the near future," she said

• Like 1

Yeah because when I think of nuanced writing that's sensitive to the LGBT community, I think of the company that gave us Adorable Adrian Adonis, Billy & Chuck and 238 permutations of the Single White Female storyline.  Oh, and the fact that the McMahons are politically aligned with the party that is actively out to fuck over the LGBT community at every turn.  Good God, fuck these guys.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just so people know what DTTW is talking about

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/wwe-plans-integrate-lgbt-characters-programming-n627411

McMahon told NBC OUT her organization is committed to inclusive storytelling going forward.

"We will integrate LGBT characters into our programming ... and I do think there will be an opportunity to integrate some of those storylines in the near future," she said.

Notice that at no point does creative ever give you the illusion that these storylines will be in good taste, but it wouldn't be pro wrestling if they were.

I don't think they'll be in a hurry to re-edit the Mickie James v-lick spot back into her title match with Trish Stratus.at WM XXII

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah because when I think of nuanced writing that's sensitive to the LGBT community, I think of the company that gave us Adorable Adrian Adonis, Billy & Chuck and 238 permutations of the Single White Female storyline.  Oh, and the fact that the McMahons are politically aligned with the party that is actively out to fuck over the LGBT community at every turn.  Good God, fuck these guys.

Wasn't the Billy & Chuck storyline praised by GLAAD and other such organizations before WWE (of course) fucked everything up?

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wasn't the Billy & Chuck storyline praised by GLAAD and other such organizations before WWE (of course) fucked everything up?

Yep.  That was my point, which I didn't exactly make properly.  The company got cold feet on the angle and ended it with Billy essentially calling it all off with a "AW HELL NO WE'RE NOT FAGS BRO!"

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Why must there be LGBT storylines to begin with?  Maybe instead of that just use wrestlers better that just happen to be gay.  If they have success, great.  And you can always have them talk about it on other shows, even their own shows like Renee Young's network show.  I don't want them to even attempt storylines for this as they don't go well.  Lesbian storylines will bring the pervy guys into it and little else.  And I have absolutely zero faith in them trying any other kinds of LGBT storylines.

• Like 6

Reading the article, some thoughts:

The fact that there's such a thing as "Chief Brand Officer" tells you all you need to know about what a clueless circle jerk corporate America has become.  I say this as a guy with a good job at a big company whose marketing staff outnumbers that of other departments that actually do things.

I wonder if Pat Patterson ever gets a little tired of being WWE's token gay friend. 

I absolutely agree with @NickMD.  Why even have a "gay storyline?" Just have a character who happens to be gay.  Anything else and they absolutely will fuck it up.

Imagine a writer telling Vince that he plans on making Roman Reigns gay.  Now imagine Vince's response.  THAT is how they really feel and that's why this is such a joke.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Imagine a writer telling Vince that he plans on making Roman Reigns gay.  Now imagine Vince's response.  THAT is how they really feel and that's why this is such a joke.

That would be hillarious if this turns out to be their way to get him over. 

It'd be easy. One minute he's cutting a promo in the locker room and then suddenly... 

RiyZUGC.gif

• Like 3