DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2016/8/11/12446994/triple-h-responds-50-50-booking-critics

GUYS THE HUNTER IS INSIDE THE HOUSE

tl;dr - if you don't like it go promote something better

Also it's not about wins and losses it's about, like, feel, man. Like how Dolph Ziggler can lose to Baron Corbin over and over and over and still feel like a contender, y'know?

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

I doubt Triple H actually believes most of what he said there.  

Any man that's ever been in a long term relationship knows you have to say things you don't mean and do you things you don't want to in order to keep the peace. That's what I chalk this up to. Of course, I can't imagine how much HHH has to bite his tongue to keep the peace in the McMahon family. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Gorman said:

Buff Bagwell filed a class-action lawsuit against WWE for royalties for WWE Network footage.

Here's my article from Courthouse News:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/08/11/wrestler-wants-wwe-to-pay-network-royalties.htm

I wonder if this will go the same way as Jesse Ventura's VHS lawsuit way back when

Jesse won that lawsuit though. It's why his WCW commentary was always cut out of WWE DVD releases. Although it's now been put back in on the Network, so either they think they can get away with not paying him, or they've decided they can afford to sub him a little.

yeah that's my point, it's pretty much parallel. In regards to TV it varies as to whether actors get paid for syndication, and when it comes to streaming I don't know what the general approach is, so it will set an interesting precedent at any rate 

12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I hope not, because that's my least favorite and most intellectually-dishonest response to criticism.  Does the chef whose restaurant got a bad review brush it off because the reviewer is not himself a restaurateur? 

• Like 2

Random note thrown in the bottom of the WON updated yesterday

One person with WWE noted to us to please tell independent talent to either stay off social media or watch what they post. It was noted WWE is very actively scouting indies right now and looking for people who are good but not with the WWE look as the mentality is completely different from two years ago about what type of people they are interested in. It was noted that there have been people recently were shot down based on content of recent tweets.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gorman said:

Buff Bagwell filed a class-action lawsuit against WWE for royalties for WWE Network footage.

Here's my article from Courthouse News:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/08/11/wrestler-wants-wwe-to-pay-network-royalties.htm

I kinda hope Bagwell wins the suit but is only awarded $9.99

I'm a bad person.

• Like 11

14 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Exactly he's just delivering the company lines. It's obvious by the way he books NXT he knows 50/50 booking is crap. 

1 hour ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I'm a bad person.

Throw in a years' membership to the jelly of the month club? 

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

3757124e876a67c1bbb2c695127a5bed.jpg

• Like 1

I guess it depends on what his WCW contract said about royalties? I'm with Buff on this in that I feel that wrestlers should get royalties for their past appearances. Ventura was smart negotiating his contract.

I do wonder how much royalty money you could realistically get from the network? If Spotify and other music streaming services are any kind of model, it's literally pennies for several hundred plays of your song. I don't know how many network subscribers are going back to watch the Judy Bagwell on a Pole match from WCW New Blood Rising or if WWE could be bothered to track that stuff.

3 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I'm a bad person.

Even then, Bagwell wouldn't get the $9.99. Instead, JBL will show up at Bagwell's house piss drunk, wearing nothing but his hat, holding a pillow case filled with bars of soap while screaming "$9.99 Maggle" at the top of his lungs. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, JCM said:

Exactly he's just delivering the company lines. It's obvious by the way he books NXT he knows 50/50 booking is crap. 

Idk...he's probably the only guy who could not toe the company line and face very little blowback over. I'm pretty sure HHH has mentioned how NXT and RAW are booked under very different mindsets. NXT is for the smart audience and I guess that makes RAW for the dumb audience...which actually makes a ton of sense. 

All I know is NXT is 100 times better at getting faces over than the main roster. Yeah their are certain acts like Cass and Enzo, Bayley, Sami that HHH could job and remain over. The difference is knowing who can take a loss and remain as over as they were and who can't. That's something HHH has clearly displayed he's good at reading with the NXT booking. Balor for example would fall on his face with 50/50 booking.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Even then, Bagwell wouldn't get the $9.99. Instead, JBL will show up at Bagwell's house piss drunk, wearing nothing but his hat, holding a pillow case filled with bars of soap while screaming "$9.99 Maggle" at the top of his lungs. 

Sort of like Kramer paying back Todd Gakk. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Random note thrown in the bottom of the WON updated yesterday

One person with WWE noted to us to please tell independent talent to either stay off social media or watch what they post. It was noted WWE is very actively scouting indies right now and looking for people who are good but not with the WWE look as the mentality is completely different from two years ago about what type of people they are interested in. It was noted that there have been people recently were shot down based on content of recent tweets.

So... they're looking for professionals... or maybe they want people who won't show off their ding dongs and nazi tattoos.

• Like 1