DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

Worth a read. He's a dickhead but he's a guy who knew his place. He complained a bit that he should've been used more but he never thought he should've been headlining WM or main eventing night after night. Plus he was there for some really interesting eras in wrestling; Kliq era, Monday Night Wars/Attitude era, brand split, PG era. The stories he told about Brawl for All, Tough Enough, Jeff Jarrett and Triple H are also interesting. I get the feeling that despite probably being an unpleasant guy to be around, he was telling the truth most of the time and that's all you can really ask for in a wrestling book.

• Like 1

My top 5 in no particular order

Foley's first

Bret's

Y2J's first

Gary Hart

JJ Dillon's

JJ's is really underrated and can't believe it's not talked about more. Great stories from the territory days and also his stint booking in the WWF with Patterson and Vince. He and Patterson were basically Vince's inner circle for much of the early/mid 90's so there's a lot of good material there. Also, he was in WCW when Bischoff was throwing money at everyone ever associated with the WWF and also when the company went down the tubes so he has a unique perspective on seeing the company on the way up and down.

Worth a read. He's a dickhead but he's a guy who knew his place. He complained a bit that he should've been used more but he never thought he should've been headlining WM or main eventing night after night. Plus he was there for some really interesting eras in wrestling; Kliq era, Monday Night Wars/Attitude era, brand split, PG era. The stories he told about Brawl for All, Tough Enough, Jeff Jarrett and Triple H are also interesting. I get the feeling that despite probably being an unpleasant guy to be around, he was telling the truth most of the time and that's all you can really ask for in a wrestling book.

Agreed here.  The only guys he really had a problem with were Rene Dupree and, near the end, Ken Anderson, and both had some very good reasons.

Actually, Holly on Twitter seems way too happy and a guy that's content with what he did in the business.  I enjoyed the book.

Agreed here.  The only guys he really had a problem with were Rene Dupree and, near the end, Ken Anderson, and both had some very good reasons.

Actually, Holly on Twitter seems way too happy and a guy that's content with what he did in the business.  I enjoyed the book.

Great read! He pulls no punches and honestly embraces the tough guy image that has been put on himself without sounding like a shill.

Just finishing up James Dixon's sequel to Titan Sinking, titled Titan Shattered. Both covered some familiar territory, especially if you have seen any shoot interviews from guys who were with WWF in the mid to late 90's. That aside, they were both a fun read, and went into some painstaking detail on certain things that have been covered before (the section about the Curtain Call being the most comprehensive account of how that went down I've seen anywhere). Both are free on Kindle Unlimited, if you're into mid to late 90's WWF I would definitely give them a shot.

While I'm thinking about it I also gotta give a shout out to Bobby Heenan's first book. That thing is infinitely re-readable just for him being him, as you would imagine in real life on the page. And all the love for Andre, Gorilla, and Wally Karbo. If I had to rate I'd go

1. Terry Funk

2. Gary Hart

3. Calgary (fucking fantastic)

4. first Bobby

5. first Foley

Take in mind I haven't read JJ's, Watts', Holly's, or (again) Hooker. Thinking about that, Verne Gagne would have had a hell of a book/shoot interview.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What books are out there by guys that were primarily known as commentators? I'd love to read on some of their insights as I go into my own commentating career. I've read Heenan's, obviously.

How many candidates would there be, if we discount wrestlers turned commentators, like Ventura?

Ross has a book coming.

Schiavone? Styles? Cris Cruise? Tenay?

Announcer books that I know of..

Cappetta

Larry Nelson Strangelhold

Gordon Solie has 3 but only 1 worth a squirt. You can get that one at Crowbar press. The Gordon Solie Chronicles

Bill Mercer from World Class has one as well. Play by Play

Jeff Gorman. this Side Of The Mic.

I can't think of anymore at the moment. That might be all of them.

• Like 1

Finished Booker's new, hm, book, in about a day and a half. It's basically just a fluff piece. It's not a bad read but nothing terribly interesting except for him talking about the origins of the Harlem Heat as slaves in chains gimmick, his fight with Batista and his relationship with his troubled oldest son. Oh and his cooler of Red Bull is just like Terry Gordy's van. Don't you ever put your hands on it.

I was really surprised that he glossed over the WM19 stuff. Booker just didn't seem to care about it that much (or whoever ghostwrote the book didn't care enough to expand on it). Didn't seem like the racial stuff or HHH making him lie around on the mat for a year before pinning him bothered him.

Booker has said in the past the race stuff was his idea. The waiting around on the mat thing remains a mystery

In his book, he made it sound like them bringing up his criminal past and the race stuff came from the writing team and that he was hesitant to do it. Then JR convinced him that if he was open and honest about his mistakes, it would make people connect with him on a more personal level and that the race stuff would make him a bigger face.

I just finished Apter's book. Nice, but somewhat light in depth. I enjoyed learning about him breaking into the magazine business and how the old promoters operated with the newsstand mags. His personal anecdotes and history with the workers was very good, but he alerts you from the beginning that the book is really not a true biography or history, more of a easy reminiscing. No dirt, but there are a couple poignant tales. The parts that remain unwritten loom large, but I doubt Apter would betray even those decade old trusts and tell the occult truths. The secret history of rassling remains hidden, and Apter was there for the modern era of it. I also have heard the Backlund book is well written and informative.  

- RAF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...