DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

What did you want out of it? He says he improvised to make stuff violent, Vince calls him up and says he has to fire him, he goes on the indies with an all new sympathy and sells a lot of merch before re-signing with WWE shortly thereafter. 

I just counted, and he spends about fourteen pages talking about the firing and rehiring. So he doesn't go SUPER-deep into it, but it's detailed enough.

That works for me.

Why aren't there any books on American territories as good as the ones on Calgary and Montreal?

I'd assume it has a lot to do with the nature of the business back then. Kayfabe was really strong back in the day and a lot of those people didn't talk about the job as part of the job. Things are different in 2015, but many of the people from that era of wrestling are now gone, so there's even less sources to get stories from.

Ring of Hell was like a 200 page trolling message board post, poorly written and as inflammatory as possible.  It came off like it was written for the lulz to impress Kaiju.net/CKC.

Yeah it's so weird

like there's one bit where he goes off on one about how ugly the prostitutes would have been in a particular small town in Alberta

like either you've been there and sampled them or you're writing fanfiction about ugly prostitutes for no reason, in a book purporting to provide insight about a double murder-suicide

We've already been through this before, but no love for Terry Funk's book?

The Funk book would be my all-time #1 if I hadn't watched the Funk RF Video shoot because 80% of it is a re-hash. If you only ever watch one RF Video shoot that is the one you want to go out of your way to acquire. Funk takes Feinstein's lame ass questions  and does about 8 hours of story-telling. The Oliver HOF books are great and will lead you down a youtube rabbit-hole you will never get out of. And much love for the Mildred Burke book.

btw, how does one go about getting the Gary Hart book? :)

We've already been through this before, but no love for Terry Funk's book?

The Funk book would be my all-time #1 if I hadn't watched the Funk RF Video shoot because 80% of it is a re-hash. If you only ever watch one RF Video shoot that is the one you want to go out of your way to acquire. Funk takes Feinstein's lame ass questions  and does about 8 hours of story-telling. The Oliver HOF books are great and will lead you down a youtube rabbit-hole you will never get out of. And much love for the Mildred Burke book.

btw, how does one go about getting the Gary Hart book? :)

I don't remember Funk's shoot that well but a large part of Jerry Lawler's book is literally word-for-word the same as the RF shoot he did in 2001.

I've got Hart's book. I'm open to reasonable offers for it. Bear in mind I'm in the UK so postage to the US won't be cheap.

Considering 99% of the sleaze thread it was based on was basically slashfic, that's not surprising.  I'm surprised nobody tried to sue him over that book.

Someone would have had to have read it.

Plenty of people read it. Had a long discussion about it with a local indy guy recently. Who was in developmental when the Benoit stuff happened.