DVDVR Message Board

The Wrestling Book Thread

I, like many others, am also looking for a copy of Gary Hart's book. Is there anyway/anywhere to find a copy?

Also, I too read Bryan's book and really enjoyed it. The layout of each chapter was cool with the blurb at the beginning of each talking about a moment during mania week.

An autographed Backlund book sounds pretty damn awesome, and at $35 that's one helluva deal.  Considering books on average are $25 and up you're paying about $10 for a personalized autograph.  Not bad.  Can't say I've been a fan of Backlund, but I'd love to find out how he became who he is.  Michael, Kev72, I'd love to see what you two thought of it.

An autographed Backlund book sounds pretty damn awesome, and at $35 that's one helluva deal.  Considering books on average are $25 and up you're paying about $10 for a personalized autograph.  Not bad.  Can't say I've been a fan of Backlund, but I'd love to find out how he became who he is.  Michael, Kev72, I'd love to see what you two thought of it.

I've been reading it off and on throughout the day, and the good feeling about the book keeps going.  The book is detailed without going too in depth and keeps the story moving.  Like I said, you get a great sense of how his time in each territory and certain experiences shaped him into who he became as a wrestler and as a person. 

There's also some great insight into how Backlund was in line for the NWA World title and how he became the choice for WWWF champion.

There's a bunch of sidebars from guys he worked around or with like Patterson, Harley Race, Stan Hansen, Terry Funk, Ken Patera and a lot more.  I usually hate those in a book like this, but they have a lot of stories and are a good contrast to Backlund's stories, giving another side of what happened.  The thing that gets across is how nervous Backlund was before matches and how concerned he was that he was doing his best.

• Like 1

I read JTG's book this week. I agree that it is a quick, fun read.

He spends a whole "chapter" defending his honest mistake of referring to Jim Johnston as Jim Henson, to the dismay of Vince. The funny part is that he refers to Johnston as "Jim Johnson"...in every instance. I'm convinced he still has no idea what the guy's last name is.

Hmm my top 5

In no kind of order

hardcore Holly

Foley's first

Gary Hart

Jericho's first

Ring of Hell

The worst that I have read have been 

Chyna's-Got the hardcover from Dollar Tree for a buck. Was not worth a buck.

Hogan's first book-Again found the hardcover at Dollar Tree for a buck. Was barely worth that.

Hogan's second book-Got the hardcover for $3. Love how some of the same stories as the first book are told again. But this time stuff in the stories is different.

Brody-The parts written by his wife were not needed at all. Kind of glad I got my copy so cheap.

An update for one and all!

Strangler Lewis: The Facts behind the Myth by Stephen Yohe with an introduction by John Pelan is available and shipping RIGHT NOW! To say that this is a monumental work is an understatement. Steve is one of wrestling's most exacting historians and he spent years putting this book together. Well over 300 pages including dozens of photos and the complete ring record of Strangler Lewis this is an oversize, coffee-table book, not a standard trade edition.

Paperbound = $40 + $5 S & H in the US (International Orders, sorry, but please add $20 for S &H; if it turns out that I get billed less than that, of course I'll refund the difference.)

Hardcover = $100.00 + $10 S & H in the US (International Orders, please add $30.00 (and that doesn't really cover it, but I'll split the difference as I'm ashamed of our PO for gouging people like this.)

September Special!!!! Hardcover just $75.00 + appropriate S & H charges

PayPal to [email protected]

If you don't do the PayPal thing, e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll figure something out.

What would you guys consider your top 5 favorites wrestling book?

Gary Hart - amazing insight into his booking philosophies

Bret's, just for the detail in his career

Jericho's first book - before his books break down into self-important starfucking.

Foley's first book - set the standard, and without it, none of the others would've happened.

And oddly, Road Warrior Animal's.  I really enjoy the writing style and the stories are great. 

Foley's first book- probably some nostagia talking here but it was a real good read.

Bret Hart- its a bit of a chore to get through being that it is 2500 pages long, but definitely worth it.

Dynamite Kid- a bit on the depressing side but good.

Jericho's 1st book- good read and lead perfectly into the second, the second I found to be a bit of a let down but still better than most.

Death of WCW - I know its riddled with inaccuracies, but its a fun read

What did you want out of it? He says he improvised to make stuff violent, Vince calls him up and says he has to fire him, he goes on the indies with an all new sympathy and sells a lot of merch before re-signing with WWE shortly thereafter.