DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Spinning Its Wheels Until the Draft - 7/11/16

Niners Fan in CT

Looks like the IC title match is where we'll get to see Darren Young on the verge of winning, only to take some ill-timed advice from a manic Bob Backlund at ringside which leads to Miz getting a rollup finish followed by a few weeks of growing dissent between Young and Backlund and Young eventually ditching him.

I'm guessing the need for appointing GMs is so that Shane and Stephanie don't have to be on-air every week (which can only be a good thing, especially in Stephanie's case) and them actually showing up can be seen as a big deal.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Oh no that was definitely the planned finish of the Battle Royal. Because nothing will get Darren Young over faster than fluke wins.

I just love the WTF factor of it. Young was like out cold on the mat like he was in the Rumble for an hour and the double elimination happens and they cut to him and he's all "umm what happened...hey I WON!!!" If we get a Miz/Backlund match out of this it's all worth it.

I was in and out for most of the show tonight, from what I saw it was pretty uninspiring but unoffensive. The end of the battle royal was something, didn't do a lot for Young but it'll probably give Miz some good promo fodder for Smackdown. Also hopefully this moves Corbin out of his feud with Dolph and into one with Crews which isn't much of an improvement but it is one.

The Wyatt/New Day segment had potential, there were some really good things and some really bad things. The filter was too much, tone it down a bit, the cuts were too much too (same complaint i had with the FINAL DELETION), Xavier just going and hiding right away but Bray did have an ax, and him using the ax on the tree and leaving it there was silly. Now the image of Bray walking in the dark dragging the ax behind him would've been great footage for a vignette. Strowman came off like an actual monster in some of the shots the lighting and chaos of it all helped him a lot I think and scenes like Rowen trying to drown Kofi in a puddle and Bray sticking his thumbs in Woods eyes on the hood of the car were great at making the Wyatts look dangerous, truly dangerous. Things like this is what they should have been doing with the Wyatts all along, they don't need to be on Raw and Smackdown all the time, have them be in filmed things once and while brutalizing their targets. 

The end was terrible, it just dragged on and was McMahonamania and I groaned when it was announced there would be GMs for each brand also, more authority figures MORE MORE MORE that'll make things fresh and exciting. I just kept waiting for HHH to come out and stake his claim to the throne as the head of NXT and it never happened, its 2016 and I was disappointed that I didn't get HHH interrupting a McMahon segment. what is this world?

1) I enjoy that the WWE logo upon WWE logo

2) This has already been mentioned but - shitty editing aside - this was by far the "scariest" the Wyatts have been made since starting (which sucks that Luke Harper wasn't also around). Strowman should have been made this sorta monster from the start instead of all the other nonsense.

3) It is subtle but they are transitioning the New Day into more "serious". It was also subtle in that they basically had Big E going toe to toe with Strowman. Of course I am sure they are going to draft someone away from the team because WWE.

9 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Fandango calling Young Boy Tom "Timothy" made me laugh way more than it should. Of course so did Breeze forgetting to speak in character at the start.

• Like 1

If they want to get Darren Young over an extended feud with their best heel is a really smart way to go, so I was happy to see that kick off.

The Wyatt compound deal left me cold.  It was a cool idea, though obviously derivative of the Final Deletion, but the execution wasn't there.  

Gotta give Cena credit for flying cross country to do a surprise run in.  Dude is committed.

Ambrose gave one of his best promos of his WWE run. Good stuff that skewed closer to angry/dangerous than the cornball stuff he'd been doing.  Fits what his character should be better.

6 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

The one thing though, that Wyatt video. Now if someone was just flipping through the channels and just happened to stop on USA and saw this dark muddy video on I think at least in the mind of a casual viewer they'd want to know why were three good ol boys beating up three black guys in the back woods down south? Seriously the only missing from all of that was a burning cross of some sort. Never mind how horrible it was shot and edited and I saw someone on Reddit say that filter was something from Adobe Premier.

Wouldn't be the first time.

11 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I sorta really dug that Sasha/Dana match. It reminded me of the Carmella/Bliss match from NXT that I also liked. The execution on Dana's end still was sloppy. Her athleticism (and she's really athletic) hasn't translated into professional wrestling yet. So a spot like her attempt at a tumbling splash or the kick with Sasha in the corner might not look completely sharp. But the pacing of the match was really good. Dana's an awesome comedic actress with her timing and taunts and playing to the entire room. I could easily see her as some flunky in an all-female Police Academy, for instance. And Sasha's friggin' Sasha. She was in the right place throughout the match and knows how to work the crowd and her promo was fire.

I would love a gif of her mocking Sasha's pose pre-match, because it looked like a Mizdow deleted scene.

So I've never seen Final Deletion and everything I heard and read about it makes it seem like a terrible idea like getting fucked by a grizzly bear using a rusty screwdriver. So when I hear actual praise about the match or event or whatever the fuck Final Deletion was, it's like people going to said bear to get sodomized by a rusty screwdriver and going to yelp like "5 stars highly rec." Now I have this deep seated paranoia about whether it is not as truly as bad as I thought or people are pulling a cruel joke on me and it is exactly as bad as it sounds.

So when I hear that WWE are copying TNA in this regard...naw, fam. Naw.

To me, the Wyatt compound stuff reminded of Entourage when they screen Medellin and everyone shits on it, but Weinstein comes up and says "I think there's genius in it." Somewhere in the over-edited underexposed footage of that Wyatt Family brawl was greatness, it just needed a producer more skillful than is probably on WWE's payroll to lay out and execute. It reminded me as much of some of the Lucha Underground cutscenes as it did Final Deletion. I will say that if you're going to darken footage that much, you might not want to have 3 guys darker than Wesley Snipes running around in mud covered clothes. I could not tell Kofi from Xavier once they got covered in mud. Sorry if that sounds insensitive, it's just true. I will also say that for all its flaws, it did a lot to strengthen the mystique of the Wyatts. I've said before that one of WWE's gravest missteps with the Wyatt Family is not allowing them to grow in number. A cult that doesn't add to its numbers is a pretty shitty cult. That part with Bray dragging the ax on the ground looking for Xavier Woods was aces...

Also, last thing about the Wyatt Compound fight: I'm sure some of the blows were sweetened in post production, but it sounded like they were stiffing the shit out of each other. Woods and Wyatt in particular...

Wyatt did take the pickaxe out of the tree to wreck the car. 

Also, man was that bump R-Truth took out of the ring brutal for a guy his age. I guess he is indestructible. 

EDIT: Nevermind, he's only 44. They joked in that birthday celebration off the air that he was 50. Still... damn.

Remember when you hoped that Ambrose would get a title run?  Me too.  We were idiots, weren't we?  Ambrose cut a great promo on Monday night, but this internal Shield feud is the drizzling shits.

Cesaro and KO save the mid-card again.

Imitation is not the best form of flattery.  The New Day-letion is going to be a fucking train wreck.  Jeff and Matt must be laughing all the way to the bank.  Must be?  You can find out for sure by checking Matt's Twitter feed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

So I've never seen Final Deletion and everything I heard and read about it makes it seem like a terrible idea like getting fucked by a grizzly bear using a rusty screwdriver. So when I hear actual praise about the match or event or whatever the fuck Final Deletion was, it's like people going to said bear to get sodomized by a rusty screwdriver and going to yelp like "5 stars highly rec." Now I have this deep seated paranoia about whether it is not as truly as bad as I thought or people are pulling a cruel joke on me and it is exactly as bad as it sounds.

Are you familiar with the concept of "So bad it's good"? Final Deletion was so bad it's wonderful.

27 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Remember when you hoped that Ambrose would get a title run?  Me too.  We were idiots, weren't we?  Ambrose cut a great promo on Monday night, but this internal Shield feud is the drizzling shits.

It's worth noting that the most interesting element in all this is Roman Reigns--and he's not even around for it.

If they allow Reigns to snap both guys' necks at Battleground (figuratively), he wins this round.  Belt or no belt.

Ambrose was great last night.  THAT's the guy he needs to be all the time, like Reigns needs to be a IDGAF killer with a slight good streak and Rollins should be a devil-may-care flyer babyface.  It's amazing how WWE got the Shield's booking exactly right like 98% of the time, but went straight to awful post breakup.

18 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Any guesses on the GMs?   Shane is all about giving the people what they want..  so have to figure babyface. Popular babyface. Guy who isn't doing much right now but would get a pop.

Come on down..  Daniel Bryan. 

As for RAW, Steph will likely give us a heel but maybe not. Maybe a tweener. I'll say Kane. Why? Well, I figure he won't wrestle much this year and I also assume it'll setup a SummerSlam segment with Team Hell No and the return of Dr. Shelby.

The only part of Kane's personality they have yet to explore is his real life LIbertarian leanings.  It is time to make that happen.

Ron Swanson v2