DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Could an NFL team really pay Bolt enough to risk his sprint career and endorsements?  I mean, sure, there's probably more money in football than sprinting for most people.  But most people aren't Bolt.  Wouldn't a GM have to go all in and break the bank for Bolt?  And are you really going to offer a 30-year-old who has never played football the sort of contract it would likely take to get him into a uniform?

To borrow a common chant from indy wrestling events (Evolve uses it a lot)

Me: GRECO ROMAN WRESTLING!!!!!!!!

Crowd:  YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

I love this sport so damn much.  This and freestyle are the ones I've been looking forward to this whole time, and so far it has not disappointed.

3 hours ago, NickMD said:

To borrow a common chant from indy wrestling events (Evolve uses it a lot)

Me: GRECO ROMAN WRESTLING!!!!!!!!

Crowd:  YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

I love this sport so damn much.  This and freestyle are the ones I've been looking forward to this whole time, and so far it has not disappointed.

I watched about 5 bouts of greco-roman today and it was the most boring thing (except dressage) I have seen in the Olympics. Each bout was like a six-minute-long sumo bout (or like watching Randy Couture pushing a guy to the cage for six minutes, which I guess makes sense as Couture was a greco guy).

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Feel bad for Felix. Not sure what I think about diving in a foot race. Can't say she didn't want it though that's for sure.

Hey, it's international competition and you have to go totally fucking Chariots of Fire in that shit.  I love Allyson, but that finish was the difference between someone who expected to get Gold and someone who refused to accept Silver.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dewar said:

I was wondering why water was splashing up whenever one of the players struck the ground hard. Makes a lot more sense now. :)

Last nights GB spain match was pretty special case though. There was a forest fire 40k away from the pitch. Ash all over the shop - so they decided to flood the pitch to above normal levels so as to remove the asho drops. GB and ESP hockey teams to run syncro heats afterwards.

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

If you told me that pole vault would be enthralling to watch *after* my country's favourite bombed out really early I'd have said you're nuts but that showdown was surprisingly compelling sports TV.

For everyone not stuck watching NBC's coverage 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, piranesi said:

A bunch of dudes just now: "Whoa, Sydney McGlaughlin is really...[sees graphic with her age]...go...ing to be an attractive woman when she's older."

Hey! Rippa just made the same joke on twitter!

A hell of a lot of places, she's more than old enough even though it's still creepy. Hell, you can marry her in a bunch of African and Asian nations, even without parental consent. It's generally 18 in most of Europe and the Americas these days. For some odd reason it's 21 in a bunch of places except under specific reasons, pregnancy, parents allow it and such. Guess that's just how they think of adulthood. Being easily old enough to be her father, I err on the side of creepy. Once I passed 30 it starts feeling weird if you think about it too much even if someone's an adult. Meanwhile my 65 year old father has no issue ogling 18 year old cheerleaders in college. Maybe he's onto something... DEAN will be there soon enough. :-D

14 hours ago, Robert s said:

I watched about 5 bouts of greco-roman today and it was the most boring thing (except dressage) I have seen in the Olympics. Each bout was like a six-minute-long sumo bout (or like watching Randy Couture pushing a guy to the cage for six minutes, which I guess makes sense as Couture was a greco guy).

Not sure what bouts you saw, but there's definitely enough excitement to make it worth watching.  Once it goes to medal rounds the added sense of urgency can make for cool moments.  If anything give freestyle a shot if greco-roman isn't your thing.

And tonight's USA vs. Brazil women's beach volleyball?  There's going to be a lot of guys tuning into that I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

A hell of a lot of places, she's more than old enough even though it's still creepy. Hell, you can marry her in a bunch of African and Asian nations, even without parental consent. It's generally 18 in most of Europe and the Americas these days. For some odd reason it's 21 in a bunch of places except under specific reasons, pregnancy, parents allow it and such. Guess that's just how they think of adulthood. Being easily old enough to be her father, I err on the side of creepy. Once I passed 30 it starts feeling weird if you think about it too much even if someone's an adult. Meanwhile my 65 year old father has no issue ogling 18 year old cheerleaders in college. Maybe he's onto something... DEAN will be there soon enough. :-D

I'd be willing to bet that 18 is not the age in most of Europe and the Americas.  The federal law in the United States is 12, but it varies from state to state.  There are only 11 states where the age of consent is 18, the most common age is 16.   

What was it I saw last week - OH! Voice Kids Germany

And people were talking about how like one of the girls is 13 and dating an 18 year old.

Then there was a girl who was 17 dating a 26 year old and how (like Robert said) it is totally normal is some European countries

You're just trying to trick someone into google searching "Age of consent in Europe" so they can get put on an FBI watchlist or something.

It's 16 in the UK, anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AxB said:

You're just trying to trick someone into google searching "Age of consent in Europe" so they can get put on an FBI watchlist or something.

It's 16 in the UK, anyway.

Yeah, I checked on my phone directly after thinking, "I don't think I should Google this on my work computer."

• Like 3