DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Jim Starlin is very happy with Thanos:

"The Avengers the Infinity War! I really have to watch what I say here, so as to not spoil the many surprises this film holds (even for me). So let me stick with generalities, with a few specifics tossed in at the end, concerning Josh Brolin. Visually spectacular, as are all the Marvel movies. But this film hits emotional depths few of the others have even come close to, yet humor takes center stage at all the rights moments. There are a couple times my chest constricted from what I was seeing, making me want to cry. You’ll recognize those instances when you watch the film. Brolin is an incredible Thanos, moving and emoting just as I tried to portray him in the comics. The movie’s two and a half running time shoots past nearly unnoticed. The thing is though, I feel I’m going to have to view the film a number of more times before I get a solid grip on just how good it is. Still at that rather stunned point. Yes, I know my opinion should be considered a bit biased, because of my connection to the production but the Russos, Markus, McFeely and everyone else involved in this film get my heartfelt thanks for bringping everyone’s favorite Titan to life in the best way possible, in a jaw-droppingly awesome fashion. Ten out of ten thumbs up. BTW: a special thanks to Ryan Potter for all his help at the after 

• Like 1

Hey guys, I am not one to stir up things. But this thing has really hit me where I live. I know it might create some waves, so I asked Rippa for permission to talk about it here. 

I am boycotting Infinity War and any future Marvel movies until Disney or Marvel make good on what I am about to describe. I don't expect other people to feel like I do. Because we all have issues that bother us more than others. 

If ya'll remember Keaton Jones, he was a bullied kid who had a viral video in December. Various celebrities made promises to him. Of note being Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo promising to take him to the Infinity War premier. Shortly after this someone dug up a picture of his mom with the Confederate Flag. The Twitter dogs all turned on the kid, including some outright lying on Keaton saying he used a racial slur. I have been researching this for days and can find no evidence of that. They were also accused of scamming for money. But that was shown to be someone posing as the mother. The principal of Keaton's school verified the incident did happen. 

Well Evans and the other celebrities back away. The premier has came and went and the Avengers stars did not take the boy to the premier. 

Those of you who know me personally, know kids are very important to me. The idea that someone who portrays Captain America would lie to a kid, really put a hair up my butt. 

I really think if you go out of your way to make a promise to a child, you keep it if at all possible. 

I'm not asking anyone to feel like I do. If you still want to see the movies, I don't blame you. What I would ask is, if you are on social media. Try to hold Disney and Marvel's feet to the fire. I know we have bigger problems in the world, but this at least seems solvable. 

• Like 3

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan! It’s goo-ood. 

There’s a lot to unpack, but I can’t wait to hear what you all think. 

I will say that Marvel finally has itself a great villain. Thanos is wonderful. 

Woooooooooooof.

That. That right there. That was a lot. 

Just got back. And while I get what Starlin is saying and appreciate a nuanced villain as much as anyone, I think there might have been rather too much of the "sympathy for the devil" aspect to it. 

Biggest pops of the night were the mid movie reveal and a certain dwarf, easy. 

The credit roll was goddamned perfect, too, after 10 years of CGI and gimmicks.

Man just left the theatre and feel like I need a moment to get myself together lol Lots of moments for everyone to shine and the first Marvel movie that actually made me tear up a little. And that ending had us all silent lol  so glad i didn’t read any spoilers beforehand. And yes Thanos is fantastic. 

Wow. What a fucking gut punch. Tremendous movie. It was everything I thought it would be and at the same time, oof, it's a bitter pill to swallow. Cap's first appearance got a lot of applause in my theater and Thor doing his thing near the end got a lot of applause too. Some really great surprises in this one and holy shit, that post credits scene.

I also know one thing...

Spoiler

I will not be unhappy to see the deaths of everyone be undone. Thanos needs to get his. AND YOU TELL HIM CAPTAIN MARVEL IS COMING AND HELL IS COMING WITH HER.

[spoiler free]

just back from the midnight release. so much i want to say, but it all sums up with, "Why is Avengers 4 so far away?"

Thanos rules. 

a buddy mentioned that it would be awesome if the Avengers take down Thanos, but our post-credits scene was Galactus looming in. I can't disagree, but now i really just want Silver Surfer to make an early entrance to the MCU.

• Like 1

Wasn't really intending to watch it until Saturday with my brother and father, but my sister asked me last minute and I didn't want her extra ticket to go to waste. I loved it. Brolin was fantastic as Thanos. Thanos is definitely is in the upper echelon of MCU villains including the tv shows. They did a wonderful job balancing so much of this out, and the ending was a perfect gut punch. I think I know now how people who knew about the Red Wedding felt because my sister was kind of pissed at me for not telling her what was coming. At the same time you could tell she totally loved it. Loved the post credits scene. Avengers 4 can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

Do you think Marvel villains have been so shit in the majority of previous films so Thanos really shines when he shows up in this?

And I'd completely forgot about that Keaton thing as is the nature of things these days, poor lad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Do you think Marvel villains have been so shit in the majority of previous films so Thanos really shines when he shows up in this?

And I'd completely forgot about that Keaton thing as is the nature of things these days, poor lad

No. I’d say he’s just really well-done. The closest comparison is Fisk in Daredevil Season 1. You get so much of his backstory, that you can really understand his motivation. Not that you sympathize, but you get it. I guess that’s a lot like Killmonger in BP, too. He’s a bad dude and his methods are totoally wrong, but you see where he’s coming from. 

• Like 1

Something happier to think about - I really loved how character growth carried over into this. Especially with Rocket. Some amazingly funny lines in this too.

"You know Footloose?! Is it still the greatest movie of all time?!!"

"No."

"What?!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

***I don't think I have any specific spoilers below. but just in case, here's a warning***

I saw it.  I like it enough to see it again some day.  I don't think it's a spoiler to say: it is definitely a Thanos movie, and they decided to balance the act of him being a villain with making him a complex character.  I understand why someone in here said they gave the devil too much sympathy though.  It's not easy to balance.   At the same time, I'm glad they went that direction and took the risk, especially with his overall ideas on balance.  There are enough of us who currently have similar beliefs to make his ideas interesting and not completely "I just want to see the world burn" evil madman motivations.

However, some choices/decisions  (aka plot devices) our heroes make left me scratching my head.  Also, the weight of the consequences, especially at the end of the movie, didn't hit me hard, which is interesting because I see others reacting differently.  I thought more about how they(Marvel) were going to fix and/or retcon it and less about what was happening and who it was happening to, while watching it.  I'll admit this is likely more of a me problem.  Yet, I think Marvel's "building to the next one" strategy played a role in my thought process too.

I will say I am genuinely interested in seeing how this effects the Marvel movies in this in-between stage; the ones between the Infinity Wars and the next Avengers movie.  They got me there.  For me, that's a decent sign, since I was only interested in a few of them before I saw Infinity Wars.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I'm really hoping that the call to Carol is just introing how they're going to undo everything and not reversing everything up in one movie.  I thought Wanda was gonna be the deus ex machina,  but yeah.

I totally didn't see them going House of M on the MCU with a total Thanos victory.

"Thanos will return" after the credits was a great touch. 

• Like 1