DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

18 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I assume it’s the standard cop-out of “you don’t mess with time travel too much lest you risk unintended consequences,” that type of thing 

One thing that makes sense and I kinda forgot is Strange saw the one scenario out of millions that would work and maybe using the time stone would have led to their down fall

And with no apologies to the other guys, this Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man by far.  The voice, the action, the gravitas.

And there were even good reasons that he would ditch the mask, as opposed to just random reasons.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My only gripe with the ending:  

Reveal hidden contents

This will probably be explained maybe in her own movie but where has Carol been all this time and why did Fury wait until the final ten seconds to summon her? Fury,  I think has known this was possible the entire time,  it's why he formed The Avengers in the first place. He waited until half the universe was dead to sub in Carol? That's like having LeBron James on the bench and not using him until you're down 20 in the 4th quarter.

Spoiler

I wrote that off as Fury & Carol had an agreement not to contact her unless the shit really hit the fan. 

How many potentially world breaking scenarios have gone down so far that The Avengers have not been able to handle on their own?  This is the first one.

50 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  one more minor nitpick: 

Reveal hidden contents

Couldn't Strange have done more with the Time stone to unravel Thanos plan?

Spoiler

What makes you think he didn't do more? 

What if the one future where Thanos is defeated is connected to Dr. Strange voluntarily giving the Time Stone to him and allowing Thanos to initially succeed in his plan?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Hide contents

One thing that makes sense and I kinda forgot is Strange saw the one scenario out of millions that would work and maybe using the time stone would have led to their down fall

Spoiler

My best guess is that this is the future he saw where they won, and it required Thanos "winning" so he could get into the Soulrealm and figure out how to undo everything.

• Like 1

You guys keep sleeping on

Spoiler

Fury calling this a red alert and when it quickly becomes clear this is something even bigger than what the Avengers can handle, he makes the call to Carol.

Why doesn't he call her sooner? There's plenty of valid reasons, but I'm sure it will be addressed in the Captain Marvel movie. My guess is that calling in Carol means risking that someone, something, or some race follows her back.

The Avengers have handled everything else thrown at them. This time it's clearly different so it's worth it to risk bringing in Captain Marvel.

I'll also go with the belief that Fury would have called her in to fight the battle for New York if it was clear the heroes were going to lose. 

3 minutes ago, nate said:

We are also - gladly - glossing over 

Hide contents

Thor's new doo-doo eyeball, and Rocket being basically a ghoul (in the Burke and Hare sense)

I think already knew that though. I mean, obviously he would have a whole stash of parts in various places. 

1 hour ago, J.T. said:
  Hide contents

I wrote that off as Fury & Carol had an agreement not to contact her unless the shit really hit the fan. 

How many potentially world breaking scenarios have gone down so far that The Avengers have not been able to handle on their own?  This is the first one.

Hide contents

What makes you think he didn't do more? 

What if the one future where Thanos is defeated is connected to Dr. Strange voluntarily giving the Time Stone to him and allowing Thanos to initially succeed in his plan?

Spoiler

I think this is clearly what happened.  He promised to let Stark and a kid die before giving up the time stone, and then he ends up giving it up in exchange for making sure Stark is spared.  When Stark asks why, the response was “This was the only way...”

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think already knew that though. I mean, obviously he would have a whole stash of parts in various places. 

Well, I gave this some though.

In GotG, it was Rocket being a merry joker.

In GotG2, it was a running joke.

In Infinity War, that shit's indicative of a fetish.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Even with that "A" cinemascore, I do think there may be less repeat viewings. My theater was like a showing of Schindler's List at the credits.

Its due more to circumstances than anything else, but this is actually first movie in 2 decades I have seen more than once in the theater. I think the last time that happened was with Lion King and possibly Mortal Kombat. I saw it a second time last night with my brother and father.

I'm going again tomorrow.  I think the only parts that dragged for me were SW/Vision stuff.  Everything else was balls to the wall awesome.  

Quick question.  What has happened to Mark Ruffalo?  He was terrible in this.  He was pretty bad with the overacting in Spotlight also.  I used to like him as Banner better than Norton, now I'm thinking maybe Norton is really better.  

I thought he was pretty damn good in Spotlight, but it seems like he’s getting tired of the superhero genre. Especially playing a character that’s never going to get his own movie under the Marvel Studios banner.

2 hours ago, nate said:

Well, I gave this some though.

In GotG, it was Rocket being a merry joker.

In GotG2, it was a running joke.

In Infinity War, that shit's indicative of a fetish.

Well I mean, he was eyeing up Bucky's arm...

• Thanks 1

And ANOTHER thing that popped in my head ...

Peter Quill won't be returning to Earth for some time, will he? Not that he misses it, probably, but it stood out for me that he's basically a space DACA plzdontban.

I'll be interested to see how my impression of the movie changes on second viewing.  I greatly enjoyed it as Episode 19 of the MCU tv show, but it also didn't initially strike me as a movie that I'm going to want to return to over and over again on it's own merits.