DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

You work six big superkick spots in one match. All of them are logical but the sum of the whole means that you end up having a few too many superkick spots in the match?

There is no such thing as having too many superkicks in one match because only one leads to a pinfall.

The rest are tease spots designed to mess with the marks.

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Gamora/Thanos stuff was perfect

The Ghost of the Red Skull suddenly became a badass supporting character.

"His tears are not for himself."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There is no such thing as having too many superkicks in one match because only one leads to a pinfall.

The rest are tease spots designed to mess with the marks.

There's a short Variety interview with the Russos up now, and I think it's intended to be the way that they keep up the emotional stakes in a movie where

half of everyone just die at the end. It's done repeatedly to show what each character involves values. It's still pretty damn clunky as a whole to me. Too many superkicks.

Only other criticism:

For so dramatic and pivotal a moment, I think they could have cut a few seconds off the "EVERYONE TRIES TO YANK THE GAUNTLET OFF OF THANOS SCENE." They could have gotten there with Quill a little earlier. It was starting to get a little goofy in the moment as a visual.

Joe Russo did a Q&A at some Iowa City school the other day. According to someone on Reddit who was there, most of the questions were about life on set and things like that, but some stuff about Infinity War was answered.

Spoiler

Valkyrie is alive. Joe was asked about Korg, and he didn't give an answer. Presumably because that's up to Taika Waititi.

Tom Holland improvised his death scene.

He was asked about Dr. Strange giving up the Time stone to Thanos, and implied that it was necessary to achieve victory in the end (mentioned the "this is the only way" line and the scene where Strange saw the 14 million possible futures).

Some Asgardians escaped on pods, so there are survivors.

Xandar was attacked off screen to save time and avoid repetition.

Non-Infinity War spoilers: The "Iowa City high school valedictorian" mentioned in The Winter Soldier was about this high school.

• Like 1

Won’t bother repeating it, but friend and I had long discussion about many of the plot holes, including some already mentioned here. I enjoyed the movie, but would prob still prefer Spidey, BP and Ragnarok. 

also agree that Quill’s potty mouth seemed jarring in a regular MCU movie. I imagine dropping in Deadpool would be even worse. :) 

Hahahaha, yeah. Regarding that TV show, when I left the theater I thought that it's certainly plausible that somewhere in that universe...

Spoiler

someone has an infinity gauntlet, gets all the gems, snaps their fingers, and poof, millions gone on Earth.

Like, imagine some planet far across the universe and all of a sudden half of all life on the planet is gone. How would they know what happened? They wouldn't know who Thanos is and wouldn't have any role in this conflict.

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hahahaha, yeah. Regarding that TV show, when I left the theater I thought that it's certainly plausible that somewhere in that universe...

Hide contents

someone has an infinity gauntlet, gets all the gems, snaps their fingers, and poof, millions gone on Earth.

Like, imagine some planet far across the universe and all of a sudden half of all life on the planet is gone. How would they know what happened? They wouldn't know who Thanos is and wouldn't have any role in this conflict.

I was thinking the same thing!  Like, on Earth, sure, Tony or Cap would tell someone what happened, and then the information would be disseminated.  But on some shit planet like Jakku?  They'd be absolutely clueless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I was thinking the same thing!  Like, on Earth, sure, Tony or Cap would tell someone what happened, and then the information would be disseminated.  But on some shit planet like Jakku?  They'd be absolutely clueless.

See, this is one of my personal phobias, the whole "how do ants comprehend the building of an interstate around their hill" kind of thing.  It's why Lovecraft resonates with me, I suppose.

Also, I'm digging these narratives popping up blaming

Starlord's outburst

for the whole outcome.

Now, if "Ant Man & Wasp" does not have an expositional text box in the lower right corner that reads, "These events take place before the end of Avengers: Infinity War - Ed.", I'll be a little disheartened. 

• Like 1