DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

16 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Star Lord's line about Jesus had me HOWLING. Fuck, that was awesome.  Even better that I laughed loudest and I could tell it bummed some people out.

Which reminds me that some of the best dialogue in the movie consisted of back and forth between two ore more characters rather than single character exposition so if you were in a theater with people who would not shut the fuck up, you probably missed out on some quality stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

I read elsewhere that all the people who got dusted didn't so much die as just had their souls transported to a pocket dimension where they're in perpetual limbo and can be brought back at will.  That makes the most sense to me.

As far as Dr. Strange seeing the steps needing to be taken in order to win, it's likely he realized the only way to ultimately come out on top was to play the long game.  Now that Thanos has succeeded, perhaps he no longer views the surviving members of The Avengers as a threat and thus isn't keeping tabs on them so he can just go off to his cliff dwelling to ride out the rest of eternity? Strange's vision also showed that Tony had to survive as he would be instrumental in whatever counteroffensive they mounted (which probably results in him sacrificing himself at the end of pt 4).

Nebula was being tortured on Thanos' ship, right?  Was it docked at Titan at the time or after escaping could she have commandeered a shuttle in order to get to where she needed to go? If it's the latter then that's an explanation of how the crew on Titan are able to get back to Earth.  That's assuming the rest of the story even takes place on Earth and that the rest of the team don't leave Earth to go somewhere else.

Spoiler

Not going off that theory, but it did make me thing of something:

So Fury hits the pager to call Carol, and she responds and is coming back to Earth, the theory is that the pager is the "Incase the Avengers lose, break glass".  But...

Isn't Carol going to also see a bunch of Kree/whoever she's hanging with getting dusted out of exsitance and going to wonder what the fuck it's all about and be more likely to solve than then wonder what the hell Fury's bugging her about? (unless the Kree know Thanos has been collecting Stones, he was working pretty damn fast once he found where they all were)

Guys ...

What if, a year out from the snap, Thanos ended up being right?

Yeah, half the universe's population got wiped, and it's very sad n all, but ... there's no longer Third World, there's peace and prosperity on a global scale (if not universal, but f the universe, let's just focus on Earth for the moment).  Thanos ended up being right (terribly, horribly flawed in execution, but "right" enough) all along.

Then Ms. Carol Marvel shows up ... maybe with Stark and Nebula in tow.  Maybe with scads of universal military.

And there's the Avengers (what's left), who have reluctantly accepted how the world ended up.

I ... kinda wanna see what would happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nate said:

Guys ...

Hide contents

Yeah, half the universe's population got wiped, and it's very sad n all, but ... there's no longer Third World, there's peace and prosperity on a global scale (if not universal, but f the universe, let's just focus on Earth for the moment).  Thanos ended up being right (terribly, horribly flawed in execution, but "right" enough) all along.

Then Ms. Carol Marvel shows up ... maybe with Stark and Nebula in tow.  Maybe with scads of universal military.

And there's the Avengers (what's left), who have reluctantly accepted how the world ended up.

It's extremely striking how much the quality of life was improved in Europe by the black plague. People went from being forced to farm on tertiary land to terrible results to being able to sustain themselves again on a huge scale.

14 minutes ago, nate said:

Guys ...

Hide contents

Spoiler

Thanos' whole conversation with Gamora in the throne room specifically about this in how her planet was peaceful and prosperous now after he killed half the population.  

Now, given how Ross felt about the Avengers at the beginning of the movie, I can't imagine that the World is going to accept the team that failed to stop Thanos from wiping out half the world, even if things got significantly better in terms of resources.

3 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Guys, no.  There is no scarcity of resources in the modern day world.  We create enough food, etc. for 10B people, but throw it away.

As always, the real villain is capitalism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Guys, no.  There is no scarcity of resources in the modern day world.  We create enough food, etc. for 10B people, but throw it away.

Sure, here on Earth, but what about on the Cotati planet? What about on Arago-7? You terran-centric-ists. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Regarding this particular discussion...

Spoiler

I thought that it was a misstep by the Russo brothers and the writers to not show Gamora's planet in ruins. Yes, Thanos' culling of the universe is crazy, but he isn't just leaving a bunch of evil folks alive. It's entirely random for who dies. What's more is that he gives proof in his words that his test run for executing this scheme actually works and leads to improved life and prosperity.

Thanos is the mad titan and there isn't enough "madness" in his plan. I really wish they would have should Gamora's planet in ruins because it would go to show that there is no upside to what Thanos is doing. It's just destruction on a massive scale and the experiment doesn't work.

Again, what Thanos sets out to do is pretty crazy, but he gives a compelling argument for it and even presents proof that it works. It would have been an even bigger gut punch to show that Thanos is really just a fraud and out of his fucking mind by showing planets he's been to being a complete mess. Is this making sense?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Regarding this particular discussion...

Hide contents

I thought that it was a misstep by the Russo brothers and the writers to not show Gamora's planet in ruins. Yes, Thanos' culling of the universe is crazy, but he isn't just leaving a bunch of evil folks alive. It's entirely random for who dies. What's more is that he gives proof in his words that his test run for executing this scheme actually works and leads to improved life and prosperity.

Thanos is the mad titan and there isn't enough "madness" in his plan. I really wish they would have should Gamora's planet in ruins because it would go to show that there is no upside to what Thanos is doing. It's just destruction on a massive scale and the experiment doesn't work.

Again, what Thanos sets out to do is pretty crazy, but he gives a compelling argument for it and even presents proof that it works. It would have been an even bigger gut punch to show that Thanos is really just a fraud and out of his fucking mind by showing planets he's been to being a complete mess. Is this making sense?

Yeah, look. If, you've got the power of a god and you're set on doing this, you can find another way. Increase resources, share  technology, even force redistribution. He picked the laziest, most cowardly, most harmful, least invested way of handling things, and then went away to look at the sunrise because it was no longer his problem.There's very little sympathetic about what Thanos did. I think we're good.

• Like 4

Agreed with what Matt D said above.  But since even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days, I think an interesting angle would be if the course of action taken, appalling and bonkers as it is, just happened to end up beneficial.

Spoiler

Yeah, even if Thanos' plan "worked", the crux of the matter is, he had the assembled Infinity Gauntlet, and the power to bend everything to his will, including time around specific areas.  He could've done *any* number of things to fix the problem he saw, but still chose culling the universe instead of any of those that wouldn't result in 50% Universal casualties.  Thanos is the bad guy at the end of the day.  A good one that truely believes he's right and his way is the only way, but still a bad guy.

It's the neat thing about the MCU, we can talk about Thanos like this because he's been presented how the heroes, mainly Stark and Cap, have been presented throughout the last 10 years. Guys that truely believe they are 100% in the right, but their methods and possibly results hover in teh questionable area.

If there isn't enough beef for everyone, is wiping out half the world's beef eaters the solution? Especially if doing so also wipes out half the world's butchers, half the world's slaughtermen, half the world's beef farmers, and half the world's cows?

Spoiler

I was just disappointed that Drax and Mantis didn't do the Bernard and Bernard (from Watchmen) hug of imminent death.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Is the Infinity Gauntlet with all the stones capable of doing that though? 

Well, there is the Reality Stone and Time Stone.  I'd venture a guess that if the Stones can wipe everything out, it could create a non-destructive solution.

The reality stone didn't appear to do anything that would stay real. If Thanos could create an unlimited amount of food, wouldn't everyone just be eating something that wasn't there?

Spoiler

He turned Drax into cubes and vegetti'd Mantis, same as in the comics, but it wasn't actually real. They went back to their normal selves as soon as Thanos left.

Anyway, I do agree with what the rest of y'all said in that...

Spoiler

Thanos likely could have done something to help the universe that wasn't wiping out half of all life. I just think that at times there was too good of an argument for what Thanos was doing and there wasn't anything to disprove what he was saying.

Marvel's running a big infinity stone storyline right now. Obviously this isn't exactly how it works in the movie, but I sort of like the general conceit behind it, which is that the stones help empower each other as a circuit, thus allowing the effects of something like the reality stone to be stronger.

infinitycircuit-1081234.jpeg

• Like 2

So at one point I felt very emotionally invested in Vision. Like, he’s giving this passionate speech to Scarlet Witch that’s really pulling on my heart strings, and then I took a step back and realized that a dude painted red was having scarlet juice blasted at his head, intercut with images of CGI armoured suits assaulting a cartoon purple giant and I was like “LOL WTF how did that happen”

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 9:43 AM, J.T. said:

Which reminds me that some of the best dialogue in the movie consisted of back and forth between two ore more characters rather than single character exposition so if you were in a theater with people who would not shut the fuck up, you probably missed out on some quality stuff.

You mean, all the people I'd side-eye for Thanos... "Hey, Grape Ape, how about, uh...yeah...over there..."