DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

But still an executive, so probably has sway /influence, either directly or subconsciously. All things being equal, I can see them using the character named after their co-worker’s late child. 

He literally has no position with the film side. He essentially works for a different company. The film division allegedly won't even tell the TV people what is going to happen in the movies.

• Like 2

They could always gender-bend or race-swap Richard Ryder if they still want to use that character in a Nova movie.

Either way, the perfect way to start the movie is a flashback to Thanos and the Black Order wrecking Xandar, and Nova Prime downloads her consciousness into the helmet and becomes World Mind and launches the helmet to find a new wearer setting up the film. Glenn Close would have to return as Nova Prime/World Mind.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

There's no world where Rich makes more sense than Sam.

Honestly, they could easily go either way. That said, I think the few times Feige has brought up Nova he was referring to Richard. Apparently he was in the earliest drafts for GotG which would have been before Sam even existed.

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Honestly, they could easily go either way. That said, I think the few times Feige has brought up Nova he was referring to Richard. Apparently he was in the earliest drafts for GotG which would have been before Sam even existed.

To (I guess) Fabian Nicieza's credit, 90s Rich Rider was sort of the MCU ideal, the sad sack, smart mouthed, down on his luck guy, with a big heart, in way over his head. He may have been intended to be the Peter Parker of the 70s, but where he landed in New Warriors felt a lot more like Quill or Lang in the MCU. Which again, great, ahead of its time, but they've already done it with at least two characters. The idea of him being the "Last Nova" feels an awful lot like Dr. Strange too in some ways. Part of what makes the MCU movies work is that each one has a slightly different tone/hook. I can sort of see the Space Military thing working if they play him up as experienced or gut the character and make him a slackjawed recruit POV character, but other than that, I just don't see how using Rich wouldn't be rehashing a bunch of stuff they've already done. That's death.

Sam is so much cleaner and more straightforward. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I could see Carol fulfilling the Space Military role. 

Carol is going to be in a Top Gun pastiche. I could see Rich in a Starship Troopers one. That's the big difference. 

I was thinking much along the same lines as Vile, except with Rich as the last survivor ala Annihilation. At some point, he ends up on Earth in the movie, and while there does the "police come to tell you your loved one died in service" at the Alexander home. Post credits Sam finds his dad's uniform. Richard shouldn't be anything like Quill or Lang, he should be a grizzled vet who has seen things you would never believe.

I firmly believe Kamala, Miles and Sam need the previous character versions to really work. An ideal both to strive for and a goal to improve upon. Sam's dad kinda provides that, but the audience has no connection to his dad.

• Like 1

Daaaaaamn, I can't take you guys speculating on all of this. It all sounds way too awesome and it really makes me think that there's more money to be made in the freedom of all things cosmic MCU than there is in the Earth-bound stuff. I even wonder if the cosmic MCU movies and the arc to all of them is becoming greater than Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

To (I guess) Fabian Nicieza's credit, 90s Rich Rider was sort of the MCU ideal, the sad sack, smart mouthed, down on his luck guy, with a big heart, in way over his head. He may have been intended to be the Peter Parker of the 70s, but where he landed in New Warriors felt a lot more like Quill or Lang in the MCU. Which again, great, ahead of its time, but they've already done it with at least two characters. The idea of him being the "Last Nova" feels an awful lot like Dr. Strange too in some ways. Part of what makes the MCU movies work is that each one has a slightly different tone/hook. I can sort of see the Space Military thing working if they play him up as experienced or gut the character and make him a slackjawed recruit POV character, but other than that, I just don't see how using Rich wouldn't be rehashing a bunch of stuff they've already done. That's death.

Sam is so much cleaner and more straightforward. 

Honestly with the current Novas lacking any powers I can only see a Nova movie happen via the character getting an experimental or ancient helmet via accident/incident. You don't really need Sam for that.

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Honestly with the current Novas lacking any powers I can only see a Nova movie happen via the character getting an experimental or ancient helmet via accident/incident. You don't really need Sam for that.

Well, sure, if you're just going to come up with a new Nova, you can use anyone or anything. 

Re: Rich, some of the tricky stuff there is that we spent years watching him grow into the more grizzled person he ended up as in his Annihilation era book. He didn't start fully formed. Just like how Sam/Miles don't work quite as well without the legacy before them, Rich doesn't work quite as well if you don't see him get there.

Granted, I think they're going to give us fully formed Carol (more or less), without making her go through Ms. Marvel/Rogue/Binary/Warbird/Etc., because they'll want her as iconic as possible to be their Wonder Woman. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Well, sure, if you're just going to come up with a new Nova, you can use anyone or anything. 

Re: Rich, some of the tricky stuff there is that we spent years watching him grow into the more grizzled person he ended up as in his Annihilation era book. He didn't start fully formed. Just like how Sam/Miles don't work quite as well without the legacy before them, Rich doesn't work quite as well if you don't see him get there.

Granted, I think they're going to give us fully formed Carol (more or less), without making her go through Ms. Marvel/Rogue/Binary/Warbird/Etc., because they'll want her as iconic as possible to be their Wonder Woman. 

Never read anything of Rich before Annihilation, and I loved the character.

Carol won't be fully formed before we see her. I'm not even sure how you got that idea. We just won't be seeing her go through a slew of various identities before becoming Captain Marvel.

21 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I really want the Dave Cockrum costume to show up at some point.  Even if it's just a swimsuit or throwaway "I'm not wearing this!" gag.

The sleeveless dark blue (black?) one-piece with the red sash?  That's the costume I identify most with Carol.  I can see why that wouldn't play well in 2018.  Very much "designed by a man who would never try to convince an actual woman to fight crime in a swimsuit".

I'm not a huge fan of Cockrum's art, but I loved his character designs.

Matt and I were having a discussion about how Carol's black outfit wasn't sexist because it wouldn't feel out of place on a male character during the time it debuted.  It's just that artists more recently have whittled away at the costume overall and then you end up with an extreme hi-cut version of french cut legs and giant breasts with the outfit painted on.

11 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Matt and I were having a discussion about how Carol's black outfit wasn't sexist because it wouldn't feel out of place on a male character during the time it debuted.  It's just that artists more recently have whittled away at the costume overall and then you end up with an extreme hi-cut version of french cut legs and giant breasts with the outfit painted on.

The world is a better place without the Ms. Marvel costume with that stupid fucking sarong belt or her damned combat bikini.

To paraphrase Blade from the shitty third movie, that's not tactical.

And yeah ever since GoTG came out, any MCU with a cosmic plot or subplot has usually been really good.  I wish the X-Men side of the house would get its shit together so I can see a Badoon epic before I die.

Either that or cherry pick the Annihilation Wave saga and use that as the center piece of a Captain Marvel trilogy.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

And yeah ever since GoTG came out, any MCU with a cosmic plot or subplot has usually been really good.  I wish the X-Men side of the house would get its shit together so I can see a Badoon epic before I die.

Either that or cherry pick the Annihilation Wave saga and use that as the center piece of a Captain Marvel trilogy

I don't recall the Badoon having anything to do with the X-men. Supposedly we will get some bit of cosmic stuff in Dark phoenix though probably nothing that will satisfy us.

I would love to see Annihilation done, but there is no way in hell we get that.

26 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I don't recall the Badoon having anything to do with the X-men.

background.jpg

To be fair, the FF were also primary players in the storyline.

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Never read that one. I'm mostly familiar with the Badoon from the original GotG.

I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your nerd card to the nearest collection center.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

They can't really do Annihilation without, you know, Annihilus.

They will when they eventually buy the rights back.  With Marvel Studios making Disney megabucks, it is only a matter of time.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

They will when they eventually buy the rights back.  With Marvel Studios making Disney megabucks, it is only a matter of time.

Unless Comcast steals it out from under them (plus the FF rights are really tangled)

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm going to have to ask you to turn in your nerd card to the nearest collection center.

I'm poor and started reading comics just before New 52. There is a lot I'm behind on. Still not sure how I missed that one since I tried to read Claremont's run. Is it not collected?