DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

It's possible Thanos was controlling the Mind Stone via the Scepter, and when it broke he lost control.  

And yeah, while AoU really did the deal with both Hulk going nuts, and the dropping of a city on the world, pushed things along, even if it didn't push Zemo over, someone else would've figured out the stuff that sets Tony and Steve against each other.

45 minutes ago, J.T. said:

In retrospect, it does seem like most of the events of Phase III were Thanos sizing up his quality of opposition and manipulating events so that the stones were in locations he could easily access on his own., but I honestly think that's giving the writers too much credit. 

Eh. Much as I don't really care whether a great wrestling match was the result of careful preplanning or two workers making things up on the fly, I'm not inclined to judge the writers based on whether they had the whole thing planned or they just lucked into something. If it works, it works.

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, even *if* AoU didn't happen, Civil War still would've, just differently.  Thanos didn't need to set it up in AoU, Stark and Rogers would've done it themselves anyway.  

I don't actually think Thanos planned to put Stark and Rogers at loggerheads at all, he just got lucky on that one. I figure his reasoning in Age of Ultron was simply that unleashing an omnicidal AI on the planet wouldn't do anything to help strengthen Earth's defenders. Best case scenario, he could cross Earth off the list of planets he had to cull by hand if the whole Infinity Gauntlet thing didn't work out.

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Eh. Much as I don't really care whether a great wrestling match was the result of careful preplanning or two workers making things up on the fly, I'm not inclined to judge the writers based on whether they had the whole thing planned or they just lucked into something. If it works, it works.

Well, yeah.  The difference between a good plan and a great plan is that a great plan can be abandoned when there is a need for improvisation and you are still able to reach the desired end state you were going for in the first place.

I'm trying to remember the original CA movie, but wasn't the tesseract originally supposed to be the stand in for the Cosmic Cube and at some point they decided it was an infinity stone instead?

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I'm trying to remember the original CA movie, but wasn't the tesseract originally supposed to be the stand in for the Cosmic Cube and at some point they decided it was an infinity stone instead?

It never really functioned like the cube, but clearly that was at least part of the inspiration. Whether or not they knew then it was a stone, I have no idea.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, yeah.  Thanos let proxies do the leg work.  He never gained the stones during Phase III, but he was smart enough to let other parties secure them for him.

And in IW, Thanos was also smart enough to take possession of the relatively unprotected stones first because he knew he'd be able to acquire the others easily as the Infinity Gauntlet grew in potency.

In short, if Thanos had gone for the Time Stone first or second by himself, Dr.  Strange would probably have whipped his ass.  Strange battled Thanos to a standstill when the mother fucker had three stones at his disposal..

The first stone he took was guarded by the entire Nova Corps.  Not exactly relatively unprotected.

That was one thing I noticed.  Thanos didn't have an issue getting stones outside of the Mind Stone until they made the crack at Earth, and that includes the Asguardians.

It just seems weird that Thanos gave Loki an infinity stone to get an infinity stone. As a result he lost both. That's one issue I never really understood.

Not sure if the Marvel brass knew back in 2010 that the Tesseract/Cube would be an Infinity Stone. But it seems they had to figure out the Infinity Stone thing at least as they started breaking down the plot for the 2012 Avengers movie. It was in Thor: Dark World that the cube was first named as one of the Infinity Stones.

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It just seems weird that Thanos gave Loki an infinity stone to get an infinity stone. As a result he lost both. That's one issue I never really understood.

Not sure if the Marvel brass knew back in 2010 that the Tesseract/Cube would be an Infinity Stone. But it seems they had to figure out the Infinity Stone thing at least as they started breaking down the plot for the 2012 Avengers movie. It was in Thor: Ragnarok that the cube was first named as one of the Infinity Stones.

I'm assuming you mean Dark World?

10 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

The first stone he took was guarded by the entire Nova Corps.  Not exactly relatively unprotected.

When sized up against Thanos and his forces, Xandar may as well have protected the stone by hiding it inside a Tupperware container.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

When sized up against Thanos and his forces, Xandar may as well have protected the stone by hiding it inside a Tupperware container.

It does seem like the folks who almost got shithoused by one Kree warship were not the best choice to keep one of the most dangerous items in the galaxy safe.

Peter Quill stays fucking up.

12 hours ago, Ace said:

The first Guardians of the Galaxy film.

GOTG-Nova.jpg?resize=650,300

I had completely forgotten that they were referred to as the Nova Corps. But I guess the more relevant question is: is there any reason to think the MCU Nova Corps is an army of superhero-level beings, as opposed to a bunch of space mooks? I don't recall the guy on the right flying or firing energy blasts.

31 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Military organizations need bureaucrats.

Well, everybody needs bureaucrats.:) But wasn't that guy actively trying to arrest Quill and company? I didn't get the impression he was a desk jockey.

I'm hoping the Nova Corps is reformed around a more classic Richard-Human model as a response to the devastation. I want the bucket head helmet, I want the Worldmind, the Nova Force, all of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm hoping the Nova Corps is reformed around a more classic Richard-Human model as a response to the devastation. I want the bucket head helmet, I want the Worldmind, the Nova Force, all of it.

There's no world where Rich makes more sense than Sam.

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Especially if Loeb is still part of the Marvel media brain trust. 

He's strictly TV. The films are a completely different division of Disney.

Rich is a character I like, but the overlap with Quill or Lang is just way too high. What's the hook? The only thing I can see working at all is him being already battle-tested and it being a Starship Troopers sort of vibe against the Brood or something.

With Sam the hook is huge. His dad's a nova, he's just a kid, he gets the helmet and has to figure it out.

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's strictly TV. The films are a completely different division of Disney.

But still an executive, so probably has sway /influence, either directly or subconsciously. All things being equal, I can see them using the character named after their co-worker’s late child.