DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

On 3/16/2018 at 3:11 PM, (BP) said:

Let's call the whole thing off. 

There are probably ugly geek shouting wars taking place on reddit at this very minute over how MCU has officially chosen to pronounce his name.

The funny thing will be when Thanos becomes a sympathetic character and you are torn between wanting the Avengers to stop him or if you give in to your darker side and start thinking about real life people you'd actually like to see go poof in the Anti-Rapture.

Hey.  I've got a 50 / 50 shot at survival, right?  That's better than lottery odds. 

WAR THANOS~!

As for my favorite expression of comic book heel justification:

8bc.jpg

Yes.  Yes he was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Spoiler just in case

Reveal hidden contents

I feel like this trailer almost confirms Loki is done.  In the one scene it's implied he is in front of Thanos surrounded by Ebony Maw, Corvus, Proxima and Black Dwarf(Cull Obsidian)

Spoiler

I think most of the Black Order will also be worm food by the time this goes down.  Some of them will face turn and get snuffed by their foster father.  We already know that the first iteration of Corvus Glaive commits suicide and Proxima Midnight is also dead (killed by Hela) so those two Black Order member will probably get bumped off in this movie.

The IW seems to be taking a page out of the comics and using some of the Ebon Maw / Dr. Strange stuff from when Ebon Maw wants to turn Thanos's biological son, Thane, into a pawn that he controls.  I don't know if IW will follow this sub-plot to the letter, but I really do think that the big twist in IW that leads to the Avenger's victory will be Ebon Maw betraying Thanos.

You get the jist of that storyline from Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 Issue 2

Everyone keeps telling me how awesome the trailer is but I'm staying away,  I'm going completely dark until April.   The Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos is some shit I read as a kid that I thought I'd never see on the big screen but here we are.  In about a month my dreams come true.  I even joked about it with friends at one point,  we joked like "how the fuck would they ever make that haha"  

On 3/16/2018 at 3:55 PM, J.T. said:

Hawkeye is alive and well, guys, and probably will be following Infinity War.

You did not think you would be lucky enough to get rid of Hawkeye, did you?  Most likely they will do the whole better to live outside of the law thing with Hawkeye and have Renner transition into Ronin.

Who the fuck hired Hawkeye?

On 3/16/2018 at 4:18 PM, (BP) said:

How much money is this projected to make? If everyone that saw Black Panther goes just to see more Wakanda plus they get lapsed MCU people because it's a tentpole crossover movie, this is going to break every single record, right? 

(I don't follow the blockbuster contest, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.) 

Nobody called the success by Black Panther at the box office. Marvel Studios be thrilled Wakanda's in Avengers: Infinity War too.

So, some JAFO here at the office wanted to debate the merits of Titanic vs. Black Panther as far as Box Office goes.  She said that Titantic's box office longevity was a greater feat than BP's, but I had to counter with the fact that the only thing that Titanic did was expose the weakness of the calendar.

Titanic continued to do well because the movies debuting against it did, while decent, were not very high profile, while Black Panther is a tent pole that is breaking other tent poles.

Marvel movies like BP and Deadpool are actually moving the blockbuster schedule up earlier than it has ever been.  Soon we'll be down to just one Dump Month.

• Like 1

So I asked my wife which death would bother her the most and she said she'd be devastated if Iron Man dies in Infinity War.  I didn't mention anything about RDJ being done after this knowing it would spoil things in some way.  But it looks like when it's his time it's going to be a rather somber ride home.  And all I can think is of all the characters she'd be devastated by seeing die it's gotta be the one that's likely to go.  I mean, if it was let's say Black Panther at least there's zero chance of that happening.  Yikes.

I think it's really unlikely Tony dies in Infinity War, but having RDJ signed for the next one doesn't guarantee anything. One theory is he'll upload his consciousness into a program beforehand and essentially be the team's Jarvis. Or he could appear as some kind of cosmic vision to one of the other characters.