DVDVR Message Board

[TV] FEBRUARY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think of all the Chappelle Alumnus I miss Anthony Berry the most. He had so many great one offs. "DON'T DROP THAT SHIT!" is just the tip of the iceberg... hell in the same skit he also had the "CRADLE OF CIVILZATION!". He also had "Fuck right I'm a Doctor!", "C'Mon BITCH LEMME HOLLA AT YA!" and i nthe same failed sjkit just him saying "Holla" over and over agaon... God I haven't seen him since the show ended

James

No one has seen his since the show ended, it appears.  IMDB says Berry has one credit since 2004 - an appearance in a hip-hop documentary called Furious Beauty.

Since MADCAP..um...inadvertently used it in our "honest and frank" Oscar discussion, Leonard Washington dropping "This is what they want us to do!" after getting kneecapped before saying "Yo mama ain't shit!" as Phuck Yiu is dragging him away gets me every goddamn time.

• Like 1

An underappreciated mark of beauty with Chappelle's Show is that it could hit hard with great social satire with sketches like Clayton Bigsby and Keeping It Real Gone Wrong but then seemlessly transition into poop jokes, and they were funny poop jokes too. To this day I still occasionally use the phrase "doo-doo butter" from the R. Kelly sketch.

I also love that in the sketch where he's daydreaming about being a famous rapper, he's not daydreaming about being a genre-defining superstar, but a hack-gimmick rapper with goat legs.

Black Bush was the funniest five minutes of anything I've ever seen.

It was amazing.

And it also made a great political real-world point:  Those politicians were talking absolute fucking nonsense. It was ridiculous. Everyone knew it.  

I think Chapelle's point was: Hey, if you scratch beneath the surface,  this parody isn't even that much of a parody. 

It just had more swear words and Mos Def and his special CIA napkin. 

On another note: The Clayton Bigsby skit seemed to have a vague but still rather obvious message about the sheer stupidity of racism. Particularly the line at the end. It just didn't hit you over the head with it like some shows do.

There was a lot of intelligence in this show. More than the Rick James stuff would make you think. 

I've never found the Black Bush sketch that hysterical, but Mos Def's giant sunglasses still kill me every time I see the sketch.

The thing I've always wondered about the Kneehigh Park sketch was if the parents of the kids knew what the hell was going on when they agreed to let their kids in that sketch.  I'm not usually hypersensitive about things like that, but if someone explained that sketch to me, then suggested putting my pre-teen in it, my final answer would be "God, no."

Black Bush was the funniest five minutes of anything I've ever seen.

It was amazing.

And it also made a great political real-world point:  Those politicians were talking absolute fucking nonsense. It was ridiculous. Everyone knew it.  

I think that the Black Bush sketch is even more relevant with Obama in the office.   The scenes where Black Bush goes after the press corps are fucking hysterical, especially the one where he knocks the water pitcher over and goes after that one reporter.

Poor Obama cannot let himself be goaded into outburst like that.  He always stays calm and cool and consummately professional.  You never see him loose his temper even during the not so veiled attacks on his character because as we all know from Chappelle, keeping it real often goes horribly wrong.

Obama is a far better person than me.  If Joe Wilson had tried to embarrass me on national television in front of Congress (LIAR~!), I'd would've been tempted to walk out there and snatch the light right out of his eyes. 

There would've at least have been a WHAT DID YOU SAY, MOTHER FUCKER~? from me at the podium.

• Like 2

"Welll, I guess if Fox News want to go after me on the birth certificate stuff they can send in their army. Oh wait: You ain't got no army! So I guess you need to shut the fuck up! That's what I would do I had no army. Shut. The. Fuck. Up."

• Like 1

I think of all the Chappelle Alumnus I miss Anthony Berry the most. He had so many great one offs. "DON'T DROP THAT SHIT!" is just the tip of the iceberg... hell in the same skit he also had the "CRADLE OF CIVILZATION!". He also had "Fuck right I'm a Doctor!", "C'Mon BITCH LEMME HOLLA AT YA!" and i nthe same failed sjkit just him saying "Holla" over and over agaon... God I haven't seen him since the show ended

James

"Go out and get me some rubbers. Oh, and get the big ones."

"Fuckin' right."

Dave Chappelle's Block Party was on yesterday and I came in right before Dead Prez played (as Kanye was doing... well, whatever he does when he isn't being an asshole). That whole film is so goddamn good just for the level of talent assembled and the solid things Dave did for so many random people. I just hope he can come back and shine on us again as last I heard he was doing stand-up that would be good one night, and the next be him chain smoking and ranting for two hours. 

Aaaahahahahahahaha, he was trying to figure out a way to offload Colin Powell. That's awesome. I packed away all of my DVDs, but this is going to make me bust them out again, if just to rip them to my server.

Wife and I caught up on American Crime over the past few days.  We're hooked.  Wish I had watched season one.  I don't think I watched even 5 min of an episode last season.  We even usually dislike shows short on likeable characters, but it's not a drawback here.  I guess Timothy Hutton and Hope Davis' characters are likeable.  I feel like Tim Hutton's character is a good man who's going to end up being the patsy for all of this, in some fashion or other.

Felicity Huffman's character is somewhat sympathetic, due to Huffman's acting just killing it.  The character is clearly in over her head and doesn't really grasp the situation, so she's making horrible decisions on how to deal with it.

Things eventually go to hell in a handbasket, right?  Someone on here suggested one of kids eventually kills another kid before the season is out.  At the moment, I'm guessing one of the parents goes postal and causes a death or some other tragedy,  Regina King's character having a meltdown or Felicity Huffman being shot at by an enraged parent wouldn't be unexpected.

• Like 1

I don't think The People vs. OJ is horrible but it's unclear what it's supposed to be. Like Vance is outstanding and there are some other really good performances and there's things here that capture the time and everything surrounding the events. It's good stuff. However, there are parts like that bit with the Kardashian kids that are just straight garbage. I'm not liking Travolta either. He looks terrible.  I don't know what to do with this show.  I'll keep watching for now

Wife and I caught up on American Crime over the past few days. We're hooked. Wish I had watched season one. I don't think I watched even 5 min of an episode last season. We even usually dislike shows short on likeable characters, but it's not a drawback here. I guess Timothy Hutton and Hope Davis' characters are likeable. I feel like Tim Hutton's character is a good man who's going to end up being the patsy for all of this, in some fashion or other.

Felicity Huffman's character is somewhat sympathetic, due to Huffman's acting just killing it. The character is clearly in over her head and doesn't really grasp the situation, so she's making horrible decisions on how to deal with it.

Things eventually go to hell in a handbasket, right? Someone on here suggested one of kids eventually kills another kid before the season is out. At the moment, I'm guessing one of the parents goes postal and causes a death or some other tragedy, Regina King's character having a meltdown or Felicity Huffman being shot at by an enraged parent wouldn't be unexpected.

This show is incredible. I can't wait for new episodes every week. The cast is just stellar.

Season one was fantastic. Track it down.

• Like 1

I don't think The People vs. OJ is horrible but it's unclear what it's supposed to be. Like Vance is outstanding and there are some other really good performances and there's things here that capture the time and everything surrounding the events. It's good stuff. However, there are parts like that bit with the Kardashian kids that are just straight garbage. I'm not liking Travolta either. He looks terrible.  I don't know what to do with this show.  I'll keep watching for now

It is the most ridiculous thing I've ever watched.  What the hell is going on with all the critics who said that this show was really well done?  I'd call it a lot of things, but well done is not one of them.  I think the show is too heavy handed in every single way.  The race stuff has no nuance at all.  Cuba Gooding Jr. is not convincing as OJ SImpson, which matters a lot.  Too much Kardashian nonsense, most of all Ross from Friends portrayal of Robert.  It is too serious of a subject for it to be as uproariously funny as some of this stuff comes off on the screen.  Oh, but I'm going to keep watching.

• Like 2

Wife and I caught up on American Crime over the past few days. We're hooked. Wish I had watched season one. I don't think I watched even 5 min of an episode last season. We even usually dislike shows short on likeable characters, but it's not a drawback here. I guess Timothy Hutton and Hope Davis' characters are likeable. I feel like Tim Hutton's character is a good man who's going to end up being the patsy for all of this, in some fashion or other.

Felicity Huffman's character is somewhat sympathetic, due to Huffman's acting just killing it. The character is clearly in over her head and doesn't really grasp the situation, so she's making horrible decisions on how to deal with it.

Things eventually go to hell in a handbasket, right? Someone on here suggested one of kids eventually kills another kid before the season is out. At the moment, I'm guessing one of the parents goes postal and causes a death or some other tragedy, Regina King's character having a meltdown or Felicity Huffman being shot at by an enraged parent wouldn't be unexpected.

This show is incredible. I can't wait for new episodes every week. The cast is just stellar.

Season one was fantastic. Track it down.

The standout cast member is Elvis Nolasco who has gone from portraying murderous crack head, Carter Nix, to respectable school principal, Chis Dixon.

He and Hutton are fucking chameleons.  Their range is inhuman.

Huffman is also killing it.  She does moral ambiguity like no other.  I hate how she drags sympathy out of me for characters whose basic traits I absolutely find abhorrent.