DVDVR Message Board

[TV] FEBRUARY 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Anyone else find the kids on American Crime unsympathetic? I feel like I should have at least a little empathy for Eric and Taylor and instead I feel like they're both unpleasant people. Eric is obviously a product of an intolerant environment. Taylor seems to be a smarter kid not so deeply imprinted with the town's values and probably should be sympathetic given that he seems to have a fair bit of confusion over his sexual idenitty coupled with abandonment issues.

I've never found the Black Bush sketch that hysterical, but Mos Def's giant sunglasses still kill me every time I see the sketch.

The thing I've always wondered about the Kneehigh Park sketch was if the parents of the kids knew what the hell was going on when they agreed to let their kids in that sketch.  I'm not usually hypersensitive about things like that, but if someone explained that sketch to me, then suggested putting my pre-teen in it, my final answer would be "God, no."

The truth is parents will do just about anything to give their children a chance at "their big break".  David Cross was telling a story once on one of the talk shows where he thought it would be funny to have children give him a foul-mouthed introduction at every show then wondered if he could find enough parents willing to let their kid do it.  As it turned out, he had too many kids per city, parents were willing to let them do pretty much anything with their kids in the hopes they would be famous.

Similarly, in the movie Bruno, you have Sacha Baron Cohen interviewing parents and telling them that their children will either be playing Nazis or Jews and that the former will be loading the latter in little wheelbarrows into ovens and the parents are all too willing to allow him to do that, in the hopes their children will get their big break.  It's funny but also really shocking.

Anyone else find the kids on American Crime unsympathetic? I feel like I should have at least a little empathy for Eric and Taylor and instead I feel like they're both unpleasant people. Eric is obviously a product of an intolerant environment. Taylor seems to be a smarter kid not so deeply imprinted with the town's values and probably should be sympathetic given that he seems to have a fair bit of confusion over his sexual idenitty coupled with abandonment issues.

I don't know that ANY of the characters are all that sympathetic. Sure, there are some that you feel for a little bit but they all seem to have a layer of dishonesty (or worse).

The Triumph Election Special on Hulu is number one and the best.

Holy shit, I laughed my ass off. Triumph with the PC College kids is the best thing I've seen in years.

It's a really weird world where Mike Huckabee has an exponentially better sense of humor than college kids.

• Like 1

My favorite Chappelle Show sketch is the one where he visits the Make-A-Wish kid. The kid wants to play NBA Street or something like that with him and Chappelle annihilates him in the game. "Hooray for me Jimmy! Hooray for me goddamit! Pick up your sticks. Game ain't done yet!"

It also confirms that Cuba Gooding Jr. has had the most tragic post Oscar win career (though I guess Snow Dogs did that)

James

Eh, Haing S Ngor might have had worse.

I mean, the man survived a genocide, won his Oscar, did a few forgettable TV movies and got murdered, for crying out loud.

Being horrifically murdered is worse than starring in Daddy Day Camp.  

Marginally, anyway.

• Like 1

It also confirms that Cuba Gooding Jr. has had the most tragic post Oscar win career (though I guess Snow Dogs did that)

James

Eh, Haing S Ngor might have had worse.

I mean, the man survived a genocide, won his Oscar, did a few forgettable TV movies and got murdered, for crying out loud.

Being horrifically murdered is worse than starring in Daddy Day Camp.  

Marginally, anyway.

Hmm I should qualify that to "most tragic post-Oscar win list of movies made

James

I have to agree with the people saying Cuba isn't good in American Crime Story, though.

OJ Simpson: OK, yeah, he's quirky and weird and not exactly a mastermind criminal, but he does have sense of passion and doom and menace about him. (Well, obviously.)

Physically or personality-wise, Cuba just can't pull it off.  He's more the nice, endearing guy you'd like to be buddies with. Not the guy you're afraid of.

I have to agree with the people saying Cuba isn't good in American Crime Story, though.

OJ Simpson: OK, yeah, he's quirky and weird and not exactly a mastermind criminal, but he does have sense of passion and doom and menace about him. (Well, obviously.)

Physically or personality-wise, Cuba just can't pull it off.  He's more the nice, endearing guy you'd like to be buddies with. Not the guy you're afraid of.

Arguably, dont you want a guy with a nice guy persona, since that what OJ was for decades before the murders: hertz pitchman, naked gun movies, mnf analyst.

Eh, possibly.

But with OJ it was more a "guy pretending to be a nice guy, only he has a darker side no one ever sees" thing.

Cuba just comes off as too nice a person. Full stop. There's no malice in him.  

And again: Physically, he just doesn't match OJ.  

Arguably, dont you want a guy with a nice guy persona, since that what OJ was for decades before the murders: hertz pitchman, naked gun movies, mnf analyst.

Yeah, the crazy thing about OJ is that he was friends with everyone (Well, almost everyone.  Jim Brown essentially told everyone he could that OJ was a person who couldn't be trusted.).  I don't think Cuba Gooding Jr. is doing good with that part either.  That first episode when he's trying to convince everyone he's innocent came off as a crazy person ranting in raving in a way that no one would ever believe.  In that Al Michaels interview on Simmons' podcast, Simmons asked him when did he know he did it.  Michaels, who was a close friend with OJ, essentially said that he made his decision based on the evidence.  He even told a story about how another friend was on the flight OJ took directly after the murders and that guy thought OJ was innocent based on how charming and engaging he was on that flight.  OJ never gave any of the people around him any reason to believe he did it.  Cuba Gooding Jr. isn't charming anyone into believing he is innocent on this show.

• Like 2