DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

That promo the week after the ECW joining WCW during the Invasion where it was Heyman revealed as the mastermind behind it all and he had "stolen" Vince's kids made the Steph owning ECW reveal work and it ruled. But they dropped that aspect and then put Heyman back on commentary as the Invasion Force announcer.

And Bray is just fine. He's the bad guy who loses in the end and always comes back. No one ever said "I can't buy Dr. Doom as a threat to the Fantastic Four. He always loses in the end."

• Like 1

And Bray is just fine. He's the bad guy who loses in the end and always comes back. No one ever said "I can't buy Dr. Doom as a threat to the Fantastic Four. He always loses in the end."

Pretty much every action movie or book or etc. has the protagonist beating the villain at the end. This is true even in serialized storytelling lime comic books, as you've pointed out. A lot of wrestling fans don't seem to realize this. The hero wins, so the audience does, too.

In Doom's defense he usually does some pretty cool shit before he loses though and that is what they need to start doing with Bray again.  I've been screaming for vignettes. Shit, even allow him to recruit a couple people into the cult. They don't have to be anyone we care about too much just enough to show that he can get shit done.

• Like 1

Pretty much every action movie or book or etc. has the protagonist beating the villain at the end. This is true even in serialized storytelling lime comic books, as you've pointed out. A lot of wrestling fans don't seem to realize this. The hero wins, so the audience does, too.

It's something that worked far better in the territory days when people could be cycled in and out. It's much more of a problem for WWE since 2002 or so, between the fact that they have a lot of TV, monthly PPVs, and can't cycle well like they were once able to. 

A guy like Bray would never have had a run as a heel for more than a couple of years. That's never how the WWF operated. I can think of few wrestlers before 2001 who had lengthy (3+ years) as just a heel, especially near the top. Dibiase was the one guy who seemed to pull it off, and even then they were able to cycle him up and down the card. He had feuds with Hogan and Savage and could be pushed back up to the top of the card for something like Survivor Series 89 but also had feuds with El Matador and Hercules. Taker barely lasted a year and a half as a heel before they turned him. Yoko had a solid three years or so. Bray's been around for around two and a half years on the main roster

That promo the week after the ECW joining WCW during the Invasion where it was Heyman revealed as the mastermind behind it all and he had "stolen" Vince's kids made the Steph owning ECW reveal work and it ruled. But they dropped that aspect and then put Heyman back on commentary as the Invasion Force announcer.

Great promo. Heyman blowing "death to Sports Entertainment" gave some real stakes to the feud.

A month later he's on commentary debating with JR whether Rock or Boomer T is the "real most electrifying man in sports entertainment today" and my soul died.

It is an interesting dynamic in the argument for/against Bray's spot. He is a WWE superstar and he will probably never be much higher or lower than he is now. If you are entertained by that spot, you think he's fine and if not, you probably never will be.

And I am not throwing doubt on either side of that argument, I just find it interesting.

My opinion is that if your going to have him in that spot, at least make it a little more compelling. Like make it clear what the hell he exactly wants out of life and let him at least get it once in a while.

Whatever they do with Taker, keep him away from poor Bray. There's no need for Bray to job in a third separate program to Taker. He's already never going to recover from Cena and the previous two Taker programs. 

I don't really think he was damaged at all. He has one of the better records in WWE. Losing to Cena and Undertaker is not going to damage anyone.

(looks around to other members)

Is he serious with this?  Bray in his current state is literally a dead man walking.

Bray Wyatt "record" (per Cagematch)

2016 - 5-15-1

2015 - 28-133-2

2014 - 49-129-0

Though I agree with Vic that losses to Taker don't hurt anyone

Cena though is a different story

Right, but it would be one thing if Bray popped up every year or two, like in a comic or tv show to take his beating.  The audience needs to forget what just happened before they can take him seriously again. 

WWE books Bray as if every year there is a three-part must see event in which he gets defeated and leaves with his tail between his legs. 

Since these losses are so ingrained in the fans memories, there is no one who benefits when they try to build him up again. He is still viewed as a loser and his opponents are viewed as someone who is dropping falls to a loser. 

Whatever they do with Taker, keep him away from poor Bray. There's no need for Bray to job in a third separate program to Taker. He's already never going to recover from Cena and the previous two Taker programs. 

Bray was on Rover's Morning Glory today (syndicated radio show based in Cleveland). He said he has three goals: win the WWE title, headline WrestleMania, and beat The Undertaker.

Yeah, I read that as "Rovert" too.

Bray was on Rover's Morning Glory today (syndicated radio show based in Cleveland). He said he has three goals: win the WWE title, headline WrestleMania, and beat The Undertaker.

Would that be best for business?  I feel like it might be, but putting the belt on Bray would probably result in me watching very little WWE programming.

Granted, I'm near that point anyway and feel much the same way about Roman.

• Like 1

Like almost anything it could have worked if they committed.  If they let Bray beat the people he jobbed out to and "carry them off" and kept them off t.v. one by one until he claimed the title.  Then Cena or Roman or whoever could return to try and save the WWE Universe from the clutches of an apocalyptic madman.

That would have been a great story, but they don't book by committing to a storyline.  They pick a guy and book around making the guy popular.

• Like 3