DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

I'm far from a HHH fan but I'm actually kinda shocked people are spinning this as an ego stroke or Roman burial. Like it or not, it's the match they've built for months. A regular grudge match makes no sense because the whole issue started over Roman being screwed out of the title. Plus, Roman is their guy - the big title win at Mania has been on the books since the moment Seth cashed in. We can argue their choices but they clearly have a plan and they're sticking to it despite injuries crippling their flexibility.

Why does Triple H have to be champion for that match to happen?  Why is Bray Wyatt still a jobber?

Why would the match between the guy you're pushing as THE GUY not be a title match? Why would it not be a title match when the thing with HHH kicked into high gear over...the title? How is Bray Wyatt, mastermind and orchestrator of Brock's elimination, a jobber? 

Because it's still about Roman being the man.

I swear, you could write a book about how they took an athletic, charismatic, good looking, good sized guy that was the most obvious "can't miss prospect" in a decade, and booked him into oblivion while trying to make him their top star. It fucking defies logic.

• Like 2

I'm far from a HHH fan but I'm actually kinda shocked people are spinning this as an ego stroke or Roman burial. Like it or not, it's the match they've built for months. A regular grudge match makes no sense because the whole issue started over Roman being screwed out of the title. Plus, Roman is their guy - the big title win at Mania has been on the books since the moment Seth cashed in.

You can argue that it's been building since the Shield-Evolution battles, when Roman would growl at HHH almost by sheer instinct. 

I wonder if they would allow Roman to become a true wildcard where he just wails on HHH regularly.  Forget the sympathy angle, just have him go for blood.

I'm far from a HHH fan but I'm actually kinda shocked people are spinning this as an ego stroke or Roman burial. Like it or not, it's the match they've built for months. A regular grudge match makes no sense because the whole issue started over Roman being screwed out of the title. Plus, Roman is their guy - the big title win at Mania has been on the books since the moment Seth cashed in.

You can argue that it's been building since the Shield-Evolution battles, when Roman would growl at HHH almost by sheer instinct.

I wonder if they would allow Roman to become a true wildcard where he just wails on HHH regularly. Forget the sympathy angle, just have him go for blood.

They won't.

• Like 2

Logical doesn't make it interesting. WWE needs something interesting right now, and HHH/Roman isn't it. If they had gone with Ambrose, Brock, Bray; it would have shaken things up. Roman vs. The Authority and the League of Nations isn't interesting at all. 

• Like 2

Also, HHH was and is always going to get a face pop from a crowd of NXT-watching smarks. He's proud papa face HHH on that show, hugging people we love like Bayley and Sasha Banks and being an actual cool dad unlike that chump Jericho. 

He's going to be the face for the next two months in this feud. 

I'm far from a HHH fan but I'm actually kinda shocked people are spinning this as an ego stroke or Roman burial. Like it or not, it's the match they've built for months. A regular grudge match makes no sense because the whole issue started over Roman being screwed out of the title. Plus, Roman is their guy - the big title win at Mania has been on the books since the moment Seth cashed in. We can argue their choices but they clearly have a plan and they're sticking to it despite injuries crippling their flexibility.

Why does Triple H have to be champion for that match to happen?  Why is Bray Wyatt still a jobber?

Why would the match between the guy you're pushing as THE GUY not be a title match? Why would it not be a title match when the thing with HHH kicked into high gear over...the title? How is Bray Wyatt, mastermind and orchestrator of Brock's elimination, a jobber? 

The craptastic, heatless main events of Wrestlemania 18 and 25 come to mind as why not.

I only watched the Rumble and for sure, it's probably Roman/HHH. But what if it's not? That's not where the money is, and they set something up that's way better.

What if HHH is transitional until Fastlane? What if the first runner up in the Rumble - Dean Ambrose - faces and beats HHH at Fastlane, setting up Ambrose/Reigns at Mania? Aha, there's your money. 

And I still don't think just because it started over the title, doesn't mean it has to end in a match for the title. It might be logical but it's also paint by fuckin' numbers, which I guess is the WWE style. People on here are always talking about old school Memphis shit, or whatever - Triple H eliminates Roman, Ambrose eliminates Triple H and then Reigns comes after Triple H for fucking him out the title, again, and there's your blood feud/grudge match. It only needs the title because WWE is dead set on Roman as THE MAN.

• Like 1

Put it this way:  Reigns is the only full-time guy who isn't injured that can be realistically put into a main event match. It has to be for the belt.  Otherwise, they're basically saying no young guy who can go has any business going after the championship.  If they want to actually break the glass ceiling for young guys to finally take over, they need to keep them nearly the real main event.

Ambrose sucks in-ring, but crowds love the guy and are genuinely behind him as an underdog. 

And HHH isn't better than Ambrose in-ring to the point that the difference matters to me. 

I'm far from a HHH fan but I'm actually kinda shocked people are spinning this as an ego stroke or Roman burial. Like it or not, it's the match they've built for months

And there's one of the (many) reasons why him winning is vomit — they've done such a staggeringly shitty job developing any stars who could face Reigns/help get him over that they had to use yet ANOTHER guy from the previous generation to main event WrestleMania

Well, that and another babyface vs. Evil McMahon feud. BLEH

At every booking meeting, after anyone comes up with yet another dumbass idea to get a wrestler over, there should be a staffer whose only job is to ask, "would we do this if it were HHH?"

Would HHH be booked to lose matches because he got distracted? Would HHH be booked to say, "suffering succotash" or "magic beans" or recite any other generic nonsense the writers give everyone else? Would HHH be booked to lose match-after-match before getting a title shot? FUCK NO

Coming up next from WWE management — neutering Styles, Nakamura, et al, just as they've neutered everyone else

• Like 1

I won't deny he's wildly over. I'm at a loss for why though.

Triple H is world's better in ring. I'd take Hunter's bad years like 2003 over what Ambrose has done the last year. Without hesitating.

Because it's still about Roman being the man.

I swear, you could write a book about how they took an athletic, charismatic, good looking, good sized guy that was the most obvious "can't miss prospect" in a decade, and booked him into oblivion while trying to make him their top star. It fucking defies logic.

The first idiotic illogical thing was telling.  Breaking him and Dean up immediately so he could be all on his own chasing the top.  It made no sense for any reason other than some weird Vince "I want him to be a single marketable entity with no extras.  Just one perfect guy!"

Like, in real life, they would have chased down Seth together and chased down Trips and his title together and then broken up after that.  

But this weird branding logic demanded the top guy be superman all by himself.  And that felt bizarre and forced from the start.

addtext_com_MDA0_MDUx_NDM5_OTYw.jpg

• Like 1